Author Topic: Experimental build of SeaMonkey  (Read 60055 times)

David McKenna

• View Profile
Re: Experimental build of SeaMonkey
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2017, 12:14:53 pm »
Dave,

Thanks! Yes, that seems to work well, what was it?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2017, 04:27:37 pm »
Seems to be something missing in my build environment on ArcaOS. What exactly, I'm not sure yet but the only difference was that I built this using my older build environment on eCS2.1. Same UNIXROOT, same source tree, but a lot more stuff installed on the old install.
This is after finding a 6 month old build that worked and spending a lot of time trying to find what changed to break SM :(
The good news is that Telus finally lit up their new cell tower and I'm using that for Internet so I can test this stuff.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2017, 10:08:33 pm »
I just hope Dave that whatever root cause you identify will be addressed in the FF build as well...

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2017, 10:33:32 pm »
The Firefox build seems to play VP9 fine.

ak120

« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2017, 11:38:37 pm »
Simply kick out the "distribution\extension" sub-directory before running seamonkey.exe the first time. I don't know exactly which one causes the high process load. Perhaps DOM inspector, chatzilla or/and lightning. I/O load is approximately 100 times higher than Netscape downloading the same files (w/o caching). But that's usual for all later builds.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2017, 12:38:56 am »
Chatzilla seems to cause the high CPU load. Why I don't know as it hasn't changed in a while.

ak120

« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2017, 01:14:32 am »
Chatzilla seems to cause the high CPU load. Why I don't know as it hasn't changed in a while.
A lot of additional stuff hasn't changed for a while. But changes in the build system and newer class dependencies can easily break everything. Now there's no complete theme left that fully works for Seamonkey. For some components even the default is broken for more than 10 years.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2017, 05:07:08 am »

Dave, then you are lucky!!!

My FF release (the official RPM one) will not play w/o that H264 extension.

ak120

« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2017, 12:53:41 pm »
Vp9 playback works without this so-called extension. Check the UA reporting setting also. At least to some degree. There are other issues with ytplayer - non-working volume control and mute. Full-screen switch (F11) is broken since years.

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2017, 03:04:43 pm »
I have only tried one video that I had had issues with and it worked.  However, the menu bar is changed.  The menu items appear to be highlighted (for want of a better term) such that I just see grey boxes unless I run the mouse over them and then I can see the words.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2017, 04:19:27 pm »
I have only tried one video that I had had issues with and it worked.  However, the menu bar is changed.  The menu items appear to be highlighted (for want of a better term) such that I just see grey boxes unless I run the mouse over them and then I can see the words.

That's strange. Do you have layout.frame_rate set to something besides zero? I see something similar in the profile manager where the person icon doesn't display until I mouse over them but once my profile loads, things are fine.
I did revert menu.css to the version from 38ESR to try to fix the menu check icon, see https://github.com/bitwiseworks/mozilla-os2/issues/252

ak120

« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2017, 04:24:26 pm »
The build is marked as experimental by Dave. So I have no complaints. There are minor issues in packaging that are resulting from the build system. And GCC 5.1 wants up to 20% more binary footprint.

Some overrides for the standard theme make no sense, so you can replace in sub-directory "extensions" with the attached file.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2017, 04:27:41 pm »
Vp9 playback works without this so-called extension. Check the UA reporting setting also. At least to some degree. There are other issues with ytplayer - non-working volume control and mute. Full-screen switch (F11) is broken since years.

The F11 thing was fixed a few months back by Bitwise and works fine here, same with the full screen switch in ytplayer.
You are right about the volume control not working, at least with KAI_AUTOMODE=DART which is the default under ArcaOS. Have to test UNIAUD.
I see that at least you seem to have it localized.
edit,
With KAI_AUTOMODE=UNIAUD the volume is stuck on mute here.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 04:52:42 pm by Dave Yeo »

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2017, 05:25:10 pm »
Well, the creation of a new profile continues to fail me. It only works for me if I use an FF profile. Usually all very well, you can even print directly. The videos now generate a new problem, the sound continues and the image stops.
saludos

ak120

« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2017, 05:57:10 pm »
The F11 thing was fixed a few months back by Bitwise and works fine here, same with the full screen switch in ytplayer.
Perhaps under special arrangements but not generally. Using F11 with this particular build it tries to fake some kind of full screen area usage. In fact the current code only removes the window decorations at maximises the parent window class. Switching back with F11 doesn't restore all decorations - only the titlebar but no frame. I don't want to list all issues with PM and C/C++ pointer insanity here. Drag and Drop is the best way to kill the whole application - a nice feature for small systems - no need for a process killer app - a small animated gif works sometimes more reliable.  8)Unfortunately automated interactive testing for several hours is not doable at all.

You are right about the volume control not working, at least with KAI_AUTOMODE=DART which is the default
Inside the context of JS code it works, but it doesn't control the volume for the used audio device.

I see that at least you seem to have it localized.
No, only poorly soldered. I don't know from which source your lightning 4.7.9 came from. The last release in this line was version 4.7.8. So the existing german xpi should already work.