Author Topic: ReactOS 0.4.7 released  (Read 10900 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
ReactOS 0.4.7 released
« on: December 07, 2017, 02:47:55 am »
Just in case, this is an offtopic !!!

ReactOS 0.4.7 was released:

"ReactOS 0.4.7 has been released, and it contains a ton of fixes, improvements, and new features. Judging by the screenshots, ReactOS 0.4.7 can run Opera, Firefox, and Mozilla all at once, which is good news for those among us who want to use ReactOS on a more daily basis. There's also a new application manager which, as the name implies, makes it easier to install and uninstall applications, similar to how package managers on Linux work. On a lower level, ReactOS can now deal with Ext2, Ext3, Ext4, BtrFS, ReiserFS, FFS, and NFS partitions. "
http://www.reactos.com/project-news/reactos-047-released

I'm amazed by the progress made of this OS. I remember that the first versions sucked very bad and all the people were taking it as a joke. We may disagree if the OS is ready or not for non experimental use, but it is moving forward.

I envy their organization and will to create an open source clone of their favorite OS. (which sadly was not OS/2).

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

RickCHodgin

Re: ReactOS 0.4.7 released
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 07:53:57 am »
ReactOS 0.4.7 was released:

I'm amazed by the progress made of this OS. I remember that the first versions sucked very bad and all the people were taking it as a joke. We may disagree if the OS is ready or not for non experimental use, but it is moving forward.

I envy their organization and will to create an open source clone of their favorite OS. (which sadly was not OS/2).

I downloaded and installed it in VirtualBox.  It ran without a hitch.  Was speedy.  Very nice.  I did have one issue trying to use gmail with Opera 12.  It came up being rendered incorrectly.  But it's quite an assemblage of Windowsesque power.

Very impressive.  Thank you for posting about it.

Mathias

• using ArcaOS
    • View Profile
    • IRC
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 05:50:04 pm »
I always wondered what would happen if the makers of ReactOS and ArcaNoae would work togetehr to enable ArcaOS to run more modern Windows applications....

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 01:00:25 am »
When ReactOS first started, they reached out to the OS/2 community to have OS/2 support. Sadly no one was interested or didn't like the license. It's a shame as ReactOS could have been a way forward as the NT Kernel was written to run OS/2 (First version was OS/2 v3 NT or maybe it was OS/2 NT v3) and could still have an OS/2 sub-system added though the move to 64 bit would make it hard.

Mathias

• using ArcaOS
    • View Profile
    • IRC
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 08:16:59 am »
Morning Dave,

I see. :o - Too bad, that there was no interest back then. But how about now, with ArcaNoae? I suppose THE maker of THE OS/2 operating system of today would be quite a bit interested..
So IF there is any interest still from the ReactOS guys, wouldn't that be a nice project? - Imagine the possibilities... :D

Just out of curiosity, thinking of wrapping/mapping 32bit to 64bit, I remember, there was an application called Win32s all of sudden, when I grew up. It was used to enable Windows 3.11 to run some 32bit applications (not all of them). - Wouldn't that be possible again a la Win64s? ; )
Maybe I have no clue to ask such a question, but would that be possible to write such a "wrapper" for 32bit to 64bit these days?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 04:41:15 pm »
Arca Noae is just a small company. They have enough to do just writing/updating drivers.
Writing an OS/2 subsystem for ReactOS would be a big job.

RickCHodgin

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 04:47:46 pm »
Arca Noae is just a small company. They have enough to do just writing/updating drivers.
Writing an OS/2 subsystem for ReactOS would be a big job.

You speak truth, master Dave. :-)

RickCHodgin

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 08:51:56 pm »
Another very impressive OS is KolibriOS.

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2018, 05:52:33 am »
I think ReactOS is up to 0.4.10 now.
BigGoofyGuy

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2018, 11:27:28 am »
I found this interesting article title "Why old operating systems never die"

https://tedium.co/2017/04/20/obscure-operating-systems-os2-qnx/