Author Topic: ANPM error after attempted git install...  (Read 10162 times)

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
ANPM error after attempted git install...
« on: December 12, 2017, 05:20:42 pm »
ANPM 1.01 here, non AOS install, Warp4 CP2 FP6 SMP.

ANPM has been working well for me, had some teeting problems, but worked through them. Well, last night I attempted to install git, given that my goal is to build FF.

The main git install (through the front-end GUI) seemed to have successfully kicked-off, but then along the pre-reqs (perl related stuff I think?) something went wrong. Needless to say, I am now getting the following error message from ANPM and no repositories are showing any packages:

"...Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: arcanoae-stage. Please verify its path and try again..."

Does anyone know what this means? I would rather troubleshoot this on my own given that my previous experience logging a ANPM/RPM/YUM ticket was a disaster.

BTW: For what it's worth, I have last-night's (working) backup of ANPM (I do incremental each night), so if troubleshooting the step-by-step way fails I can always recover to a working ANPM configuration...my only problem with this approach is that I have absolutely no idea what are all the different pieces of ANPM, and really, more correctly I suspect the underlying RPM/YUM, as they seem to be spread throughout a typical OS/2 install (ie various directories, etc...)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 05:33:35 pm by Dariusz Piatkowski »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: ANPM error after attempted git install...
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 06:06:53 pm »
I'd first try clearing all the caches. You could also try moving anpm\SECURE.REPS out of the way.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 03:36:59 am »
David!

I'd first try clearing all the caches. You could also try moving anpm\SECURE.REPS out of the way.

I did clear the caches, first thing I did...however, it was the SECURE.REP that was the culprit...renaming it and re-running allowed ANPM to get back up and running, at least to a point that I can pull-down the package listings again.

Alright...so I attempted to re-install git, here is the error I'm getting:

----------[ 13 Dec 2017 21:30:32 ]----------
Executing: @python G:\UTIL\ANPM\scripts\yum_reinstall.py git
Running Transaction Check
Error unpacking rpm package perl-Git-2.11.0-2.noarch
git-2.11.0-2.i686 was supposed to be installed but is not!
error: unpacking of archive failed on file /@unixroot/usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Git.pm;5a31e24c: cpio: chmod

error: perl-Git-2.11.0-2.noarch: install failed
----------[ 13 Dec 2017 21:31:00 ]----------

The perl-Git-2.11.0-2.noarch appears to be a pre-req, yet executing 'git -version' @ CLI returns the following:

[G:\util\anpm]git --version
git version 2.11.0

I have not actually attempted to create a local repository, so no idea if any of the other stuff works. I will un-install git and re-do this again...

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 04:22:59 am »
...I will un-install git and re-do this again...

OK, stuck on perl-Git-2.11.0-2.noarch.rpm, the Archive Viewer sees the contents and extracts them out, however the YUM/RPM thing fails.

Going to CLI produces the following result:

=== START ===
[G:\]yum install perl-Git
Loaded plugins: changelog, verify
Setting up Install Process
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package perl-Git.noarch 0:2.11.0-2 will be installed
--> Finished Dependency Resolution

Dependencies Resolved

================================================================================

Package           Arch            Version           Repository            Size
================================================================================

Installing:
 perl-Git          noarch          2.11.0-2          netlabs-rel           24 k

Transaction Summary

Install       1 Package

Total size: 24 k
Installed size: 24 k
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:
Running Transaction Check
Running Transaction Test
Transaction Test Succeeded
Running Transaction
  Installing : perl-Git-2.11.0-2.noarch                                     1/1

Error unpacking rpm package perl-Git-2.11.0-2.noarch
error: unpacking of archive failed on file /@unixroot/usr/share/perl5/vendor_per
l/Git.pm;5a31ed9f: cpio: chmod

Failed:
  perl-Git.noarch 0:2.11.0-2

Complete!
=== STOP ===

Unless there is something obvious here poping out at anyone I wonder if I can force the YUM/RPM database to think that package has been processed and simply move the contents manually into place?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 06:16:19 am »
It looks to my inexpert eye that chmod failed. See if you have it partially installed.
Look in @UNIXROOT\usr\share\perl5\vendor to see if there is a Git subdirectory and if there is, delete it. If not and it is like mine, move vendor_perl out of the way and try to reinstall Perl-Error and install Perl-git.

ak120

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 11:48:45 am »
To which kind of file system you want to install the RPM stuff?

You can install the limited git from the RPM repo also by a zip http://rpm.netlabs.org/release/00/zip/git-2_11_0-2.zip.
Or you can use a later release http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/dev/util/git-2.13.3.zip.

UID/GID seems to be not implemented in current OS/2 RPM fork. It's only faked and doesn't work in every situation.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 04:24:31 pm »
...Look in @UNIXROOT\usr\share\perl5\vendor to see if there is a Git subdirectory and if there is, delete it. If not and it is like mine, move vendor_perl out of the way and try to reinstall Perl-Error and install Perl-git.

Here are the contents of that dir:

Directory of G:\usr\share\perl5\vendor_perl

12-13-17  10:18p     <DIR>           0  .
12-11-17  11:32p     <DIR>           0  ..
12-11-17  11:33p     <DIR>         124  Error
 5-30-15   6:46a     24872         124  Error.pm
 4-05-17   9:32p     <DIR>         124  Git
        5 file(s)      24872 bytes used

GIT is empty...and ERROR has the following:

Directory of G:\usr\share\perl5\vendor_perl\error

12-11-17  11:33p     <DIR>           0  .
12-13-17  10:18p     <DIR>           0  ..
 5-30-15   6:46a      1070         124  Simple.pm
        3 file(s)       1070 bytes used

Killing GIT and attempting a re-install produced the same result though.

So I moved vendor_perl out of the way and attempted to re-install perl-Error, but got the following:

[G:\etc]yum install perl-Error
Loaded plugins: changelog, verify
Setting up Install Process
Package 1:perl-Error-0.17024-1.noarch already installed and latest version
Nothing to do

...so I forced a re-install, which worked, then I attempted a re-install of perl-Git, which failed again, same spot.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 04:33:18 pm »
Hi Andreas!

To which kind of file system you want to install the RPM stuff?...

I am installing this on HPFS386.

Yes, I did see the ZIP version as well, but having been water-boarded with the 'YUM/RPM Kool-Aid' I figured I would try to get as much of this PRM based as possible.

It is times like these that I curse the RPM thing, mostly because so much of the back-end stuff has literally no or very little documentaiton on our platform...so most of the times it's a stab-in-the-dark!

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 04:57:25 pm »
You might want to open an issue. Perl-git installed here with no problem.

ak120

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 11:18:51 pm »
Hi Andreas!

To which kind of file system you want to install the RPM stuff?...

I am installing this on HPFS386.
I had similar issues with LAN server aliases or NFS mounts. At some point the klibc/libcx possibly introduced a requirement for JFS. Nowhere documented of course. It's effortless to write a bug report - it will be immediatly flagged as invalid there.

Yes, I did see the ZIP version as well, but having been water-boarded with the 'YUM/RPM Kool-Aid' I figured I would try to get as much of this PRM based as possible.
The first one contains exactly the same files as the RPM package, so it doesn't hurt. The second one has some fixes more.

It is times like these that I curse the RPM thing, mostly because so much of the back-end stuff has literally no or very little documentaiton on our platform...so most of the times it's a stab-in-the-dark!
Even the included standard documentation is quite useless. Wrong national language codepages (that are easy to fix) and terminal issues (no documentation at all) are not acceptable for remote maintenance via telnet etc. So I use simply a vm to download and install the YUM/RPM stuff and share it from there for the network stations or copy selected parts to standalone machines. A real time saver because I kick out all malformed localisation files or other stuff that's only copy-pasted from Linux and has no meaning under OS/2. With help of star and IBM Software Installer it's also possible to create packages for unattended installations great for RIPL stations - and no reboots or useless CONFIG.SYS settings.

Dużo szczęścia!