Author Topic: CUPS - Support Printer List  (Read 8517 times)

Eric Erickson

• View Profile
CUPS - Support Printer List
« on: December 19, 2017, 06:13:01 pm »
My venerable HP2550 is starting to die, so I've got to find a new Color Laser Printer for use. Is there a good list of successfully tested color laser printers that can work with ArcaOS and eCS V2.x?

My basic needs are:

-
  • Parallel Port or Network interface
  • Multiple paper trays (letter/legal)
  • At least 100 page letter tray
  • Manual paper feed capability

USB or Wireless only connectivity is NOT an option.

I've done some searching, but its really hard to find verified information on working printers, so I'd appreciate any and all info.

**updated to include additional requirement**

« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 09:23:44 pm by Eric Erickson »

ivan

• View Profile
Re: CUPS - Support Printer List
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 07:42:06 pm »
The Brother HL-3170CDW might work for you. 

It is a postscript network printer that prints everything I have thrown at it so far.  The one drawback is that in only has one paper tray but it also has a manual feed so depending on your needs it might work for you (in fact I have two paper trays one for standard paper and the other for photo paper and I just swop them as necessary).

Per E. Johannessen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 08:43:00 pm »
HP Color Laser Jet Pro M477fdw works with a pscript driver supplied with ArcaOS/eCS.
(For scanning, I either scan to e-mail or to a networkfolder).

Matt Walsh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 04:17:09 pm »
You probably won't find a parallel port printer anymore, but network connected ones are ubiquitous.  I have a Brother color laser that works fine with the Brother Scrip3 (form of postscript) and standard HP drivers in Arca 5 work with most HP, and many other brands of laser printer.
Matt W.

ak120

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 06:26:40 pm »
You probably won't find a parallel port printer anymore,
Parallel port and serial connections are still available from serious printer manufacturers. Others may have it still as an option.

I have a Brother color laser that works fine with the Brother Scrip3 (form of postscript) and standard HP drivers
It depends on applications. For usual office printing the usage of a PCL5/6 queues should be faster in most cases. The most low end laser printers have slow embedded PowerPC processors integrated. Fast enough for Adobe's licenced interpreter but close to snail pace for un-licenced clone interpreters.

Eric Erickson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 08:36:23 pm »
You probably won't find a parallel port printer anymore,
Parallel port and serial connections are still available from serious printer manufacturers. Others may have it still as an option.

I have a Brother color laser that works fine with the Brother Scrip3 (form of postscript) and standard HP drivers

Whats the model of your Brother Printer?

As for connectivity, if its got a parallel port I can just plug in into my existing JetDirect, but network is fine too. Just have to run a slightly longer cable from my hub to the printer.

Also, what is the configuration you use with eCups for the Brother Scrip3? I've got a Brother MFC that I use for scanning/fax to Windows and would love to get it functioning as printer for my eCS/ArcaOs machines.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 08:38:39 pm by Eric Erickson »

ak120

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 09:01:16 pm »
Brother's low end model HL-L5000D has a parallel port. HL-L5100DN is suitable for small networks and comes with LAN connection. There are similar Multifunction models (DCP-L5500DN) but also without parallel port.

Matt Walsh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 04:05:59 pm »
My Brother printer is a HL-3070CW, but newer ones have similar wired & wireless network connections and no parallel port.
Hope this helps.
Matt W.

Jochen Schäfer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 05:52:39 pm »
HP Color Laser Jet Pro M477fdw works with a pscript driver supplied with ArcaOS/eCS.
Do you use any Postscript driver, or a special one?

Per E. Johannessen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 08:39:11 pm »
I chose HP Color LaserJet 3700 PS for my HP M477dfw, prints fine, and duplex works.
When you create the printer object just choose to install driver shipped with ArcaOS/eCS and you will get a list of printers.
In my case the HP 3700 PS works fine, but you may have to try another PS for your printer.

If you have a ppd-file for the printer you could also import it.
You can find some good info/tools at http://www.altsan.org/os2/printing/

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 10:14:39 pm »
Brother has cups drivers on his support link.