OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Multimedia

Saving OS/2 icons - OS/2 icon format in 2017

<< < (2/4) > >>

David Graser:
Rich

I created these icons anywhere from 4 to 7 years ago.  I haven't really done anything since until I started messing with a new xcenter shadow icon. The package itself is assorted.  Quite a few are strictly my design.  Some were created by me cropping something from an advertisement I liked, pasting, and modifying it to something that looked presentable under OS/2. Some are based on free PNGs.  Just about all have been modified, added to, or enhanced to make it work as an OS/2 icon.  I have hundreds I created for the eComstation eschemes.  eSchemes doesn't work under ArcaOS.   Anything I have always done is free for everyone and they can use, modify and enhance them anyway they want which makes things less complicated,

ak120:

--- Quote from: David Graser on December 20, 2017, 06:48:52 am ---The picture

--- End quote ---
I cannot see any reason to use  24bit/Pixel for 16x16 sized icons? And for 80% of 20x20 sized icons it would be questionable.

It depends on the intended audience. For desktop usage OS/2 2.x recommends 5 different units (covered by the mentioned Icon Editor) and OS/2 Warp adds 2 additional units. It should follow the CUA style guide. It doesn't differ much from Mac, Motif or Windows.

David Graser:

--- Quote from: Andreas Kohl on December 20, 2017, 10:38:24 pm ---
--- Quote from: David Graser on December 20, 2017, 06:48:52 am ---The picture

--- End quote ---
I cannot see any reason to use  24bit/Pixel for 16x16 sized icons? And for 80% of 20x20 sized icons it would be questionable.

It depends on the intended audience. For desktop usage OS/2 2.x recommends 5 different units (covered by the mentioned Icon Editor) and OS/2 Warp adds 2 additional units. It should follow the CUA style guide. It doesn't differ much from Mac, Motif or Windows.

--- End quote ---

The problem occurs when the picture is pasted to the 16x16 and 20x20.  If that color is not in the palette, some off the wall color or colors are used.  Using 24bit, icon editor has no problem rendering the correct color(s).   However, you are correct in that it might much simplier to make the smaller icons with few colors.

Dave Yeo:
One other problem, when icons are embedded in an application, is that hi-colour icons get corrupted if fed through lxlite. With Mozilla, we had to switch to 8 colour icons IIRC when we switched to linking with wlink and using lxlite to strip/compress the binaries.

David Graser:

--- Quote from: Dave Yeo on December 21, 2017, 01:22:18 am ---One other problem, when icons are embedded in an application, is that hi-colour icons get corrupted if fed through lxlite. With Mozilla, we had to switch to 8 colour icons IIRC when we switched to linking with wlink and using lxlite to strip/compress the binaries.

--- End quote ---

Dave

You don't use bitmaps for the embedded graphics?  I know programs like FM/2 and Filstar 2 use embedded bmps.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version