Author Topic: Gimp on OS/2  (Read 96216 times)

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
Re: Gimp on OS/2
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2013, 12:07:32 pm »
Hello, Paul.

It has been a good while now, since this thread was updated.

Is it the GIMP port to OS/2 officially dead?

Just curious...

Not dead, I've just been distracted. It happens quite easily :) I'll try get back to it someday

Ben

« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2013, 05:42:32 pm »
Not dead, I've just been distracted. It happens quite easily :) I'll try get back to it someday

OK, Paul.

Thanks again for your efforts.

muffetta

« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2013, 11:48:05 pm »
Hi all, we often forget odin, I believe that while we are waiting for the Paul's efforts we can survive very well using Photofilter ( http://photofiltre.free.fr/ ), one of the few win programs that runs quite well on eCS.
Download the zip package, unzip in a folder, add plugins you prefer and simply pe.exe photofilter.exe.
It will not Gimp but it seems a lot, believe me ;-) !!

Ben

« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2013, 12:07:59 am »
Thanks for that link, Barbara.

But there are graphics programs for OS/2 of note... just nothing as powerful as
GIMP.

• Embellish
  • PhotoTiger
  • Photo>Graphics
  • ColorWorks/2
  • DrawIt
  • Galleria
  • Impos/2
  • BlueCAD
  • Neon
  • QueenCy

and others.

Just in case you did not already know.

I'll give PhotoFilter a try now and see  how that holds up!

8)

muffetta

« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2013, 12:19:31 am »
Sure, I know all of them, and they are not like to Gimp, true, but it was just to not feel the lack of Gimp, the toolbar icons as I seem comes from Gimp! anyway here goes quite well using latest odin.

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2013, 12:42:13 pm »
I do 98% of my work with the combination of Embellish and PMView Pro.

Ben

« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2013, 05:27:35 pm »
Personally, I would add to my list Photo>Graphics.

ColorWorks/2 went out the window due to some problem with the graphics drivers for OS/2. Everything is out of line when you enlarge or reduce an image.

Too bad though, it offered some great power with Masks that nothing else in OS/2 graphics software has replaced.
8|

mickhead

« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2013, 04:40:34 am »
https://pixlr.com/ works well with the latest GA Flash. Of course it can't do everything Gimp will do, but it will handle basic tasks, filters, and more.

Jochen Schäfer

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2015, 06:13:02 pm »
Are there any news?

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2015, 03:46:24 pm »
Hi Jochen.

Sorry if it is redundant, there haven't been any progress on this subject. I follow the news and Gimp is on my wishlist for OS/2-eCS and I haven't see any more news about this effort.

Regards.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2015, 11:36:19 am »
Hey Guys,

Sorry if it is redundant, there haven't been any progress on this subject. I follow the news and Gimp is on my wishlist for OS/2-eCS and I haven't see any more news about this effort.

Unfortunately there is no progress. Whilst I still do what I can do support OS/2, the reality is that with the demands of my day job, my available free time is very limited these days....

Jochen Schäfer

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2015, 01:40:28 pm »
Hi Paul.

I thought so much. I know that problem  ;)
But since I'm in porting mode at the moment and already took a look at the GTK infrastructure, I would give it a shot.
Can you send me a package of your progress? I will at least try to take a look at it. Perhaps together we get some progress.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 09:32:45 pm by Jochen Schäfer »

RickCHodgin

« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2017, 08:51:44 pm »
Does anybody know the status of this project?  Could GIMP be built using any recent advancements / ports that are available in 2017?

I've been able to get GIMP built from sources in Linux, but have never tried in another OS.  I have C/C++ development skills, so if there is some code that someone knows is preventing it from moving forward, I could help.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 10:49:37 pm by Rick C. Hodgin »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2017, 01:09:41 am »
Gimp is linked against X. The problems are, our X server hasn't had any love in many years. It was built with EMX and non-trivial to port to kLIBC due to it using the EMX select() (needed for pipe support, can use TCP/IP) and also some EMX internals. Some of us do have HOBX as an X server, here it only runs on Warp V4 and complains about not being licensed for eCS, others who bought eCS 1.x do have it working.
X86sup.sys also needs updating to interface with the newest kernels, missing functionality includes PTTY's being broken and a couple of other things that I forget. I did manage to install X on eCS 2.1 using the XVNC server, which allowed GIMP to run in a VNC window here. Xterms were broken due to missing functionality in x86sup.sys as mentioned. (source is available)
At one point I did build the X libraries with kLIBC (they're on the Netlabs FTP server) which allowed building with newer GCC and using LIBPATHSTRICT, and using the full IP address (to avoid pipes) to display on native X.
Starting with those libraries or porting newer ones would allow building with newer ports but still need an Xserver.
I have no idea of how well newer Xorg would build on OS/2. We used the xmakefile process that they ripped out and replaced with autotools.
So basically need a working Xserver, probably newer X libraries and then porting would hopefully be trivial as we have most other libraries already ported.
At one point we even had QT, Gnome, most window managers and even Mozilla running on X, and our Xserver could even load the native Linux ELF modules to have fully accelerated video under X which ran on its own desktop in a full screen session.
If you're interested, I'll help how ever I can.

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2017, 07:14:03 pm »
I had had hopes that everblue would come to fruition:
http://trac.netlabs.org/everblue