Author Topic: Gimp on OS/2  (Read 93027 times)

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
Gimp on OS/2
« on: December 29, 2012, 09:18:42 pm »
Hi All,

I know that Gimp is something that OS/2 users have often asked about.  Gimp relies on the GTK+ toolkit, which is not available on OS/2, and would require significant effort (similar to if not more than the Qt4 toolkit) to be ported natively to the OS/2 api.

I had an idea last night, that it may be possible to compile the GTK+ toolkit using Odin, then compile Gimp.  This would still provide a native OS2 executable, just parts of it would use the win32 api via Odin.

How do people feel about this?

At the moment this is just a thought that I will probably explore. No commitment on how long it may take or if it will ever see the light of day.

Cheers,

Paul

melf

Re: Gimp on OS/2
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 12:36:10 am »
If it was possible, it would be really great! If I understand you right this would also mean no dependence on Hoblink X (or x11? can't remember) ?

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 12:53:05 am »
I will love it if we can have Gimp 2.8.2 no matter if it is complete native or running on Odin.

I will lean to say it will be better to have GTK+ ported to eCS-OS/2, but Odin is behaving so nice with OpenJDK, that I would not care.

Also, if there is a chance to open the doors to a GTK+ running on eCS, I will have a better chance my other favorite GTK tools are InkScape and Pidgin get ported someday :)
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 01:11:32 am »
If it was possible, it would be really great! If I understand you right this would also mean no dependence on Hoblink X (or x11? can't remember) ?
Correct. The only dependency would be an installed odin.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 01:12:18 am »
I will love it if we can have Gimp 2.8.2 no matter if it is complete native or running on Odin.

I will lean to say it will be better to have GTK+ ported to eCS-OS/2, but Odin is behaving so nice with OpenJDK, that I would not care.

Also, if there is a chance to open the doors to a GTK+ running on eCS, I will have a better chance my other favorite GTK tools are InkScape and Pidgin get ported someday :)

I understand people would prefer a native port of GTK+, but at this stage of OS2's lifecycle, I'd say the chances of this ever happening are low.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 01:27:56 am »
I should probably move this to the programming forum, but as I've started here, I will post progress here.
- odin built locally, so I now have all the necessary libraries and headers (I hope) to use the win32 api's
- compiling glib from netlabs as I write.

Next steps will be to grab some more of the required libs for gtk+ and start building them. Will be strange building things like cairo and forcing them to use win32 api's :)

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 04:40:41 pm »
I had an idea last night, that it may be possible to compile the GTK+ toolkit using Odin, then compile Gimp.  This would still provide a native OS2 executable, just parts of it would use the win32 api via Odin.
I think its a great idea, but Windows uses also GTK+, so what is the difference?

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 08:47:36 pm »
I think its a great idea, but Windows uses also GTK+, so what is the difference?

The GTK+ code has an implementation using the win32 api.  That *should* be able to be built with odin.  We'd then have a GTK+ toolkit that works on OS/2 via Odin.

Note: this may also be a viable way to get wxwidgets on OS/2 ;)

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 09:30:45 pm »
Okay, thanks for the hint  :)

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 09:59:49 pm »
Okay, thanks for the hint  :)

Well I'll probably try compiling it today :)

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 03:56:16 am »
odinised Cairo is working. http://smedley.id.au/cairo-gdi-demo.zip (a simple demo app using cairo and the Windows API via odin to display the window)

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 04:41:27 am »
odinised Cairo is working. http://smedley.id.au/cairo-gdi-demo.zip (a simple demo app using cairo and the Windows API via odin to display the window)
Downloaded the file, what do I have to see?

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 05:15:03 am »
It should open a window with a gradient pattern in it.

It's possible it needs a new gdi32.dll - refer http://svn.netlabs.org/odin32/ticket/92 for the details on why
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 05:21:39 am by Paul Smedley »

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 05:25:41 am »
All prequisities met for GTK+ configure:
GTK+ 3.6.2
===========

GDK backends:         win32
Print backends:       file lpr cups
Dynamic modules:      no
Included immodules:   none
PackageKit support:   yes
colord support:       no
Introspection:        no
Debugging:            minimum
Documentation:        no

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 10:11:14 am »
Most of the GDK folder is building.  There is some device stuff for tablets that I need to work out how to compile enough of it to satisfy GDK, as Odin has no support for tablets (and neither does OS/2).  I may need to stub some functions just to keep it happy.

The gdk/tests are breaking with link errors - most of these are functions that are present in Odin, but GDK is looking for the wrong symbol name - possibly due to Odin header issues; some is bound to be functions that are missing in Odin and will either need to be stubbed or implemented.

Some are also missing symbols from the win32 port of glib, so seems I need to compile glib using Odin, which I've started

Will keep posting updates are and when there is something worth reporting!