Author Topic: Lotus WordPro for OS/2 under ArcaOS  (Read 6721 times)

dcull

Lotus WordPro for OS/2 under ArcaOS
« on: January 18, 2018, 10:00:15 am »
This is a request for info.
I have a number of document files from years back that i want to convert from WordPro and WP6 formats into RTF so they can be read by AOO.
I think that Lotus WordPro can do this, but I'm nervous about installing it under ArcaOS. As I recall Lotus did a lot of editing of config.sys in order to run. I have eCS on another partition on this machine. Maybe better to install Lotus there so it doesn't interfere with the ArcaOS configuration?
Any thoughts and suggestions on this request will be much appreciated.
tia
dc

Greg Pringle

• View Profile
Re: Lotus WordPro for OS/2 under ArcaOS
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 12:43:55 pm »
I am running the Lotus Smart Suit for OS/2 installed on ArcaOS without issue.
If you want to be extra safe. Make a copy of config.sys before installing Lotus.
Do all the conversions you want. Then revert to the old config.sys

Eduardo Vila Echagüe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 01:46:48 pm »
I have installed Lotus Smart Suite for OS/2 in practically all versions of OS/2, including ArcaOS, with no problems at all. To be sure, follow Greg's recomendation.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 03:45:25 pm »
Hi.

On the little experience I have on this subject, I usually save (in WordPro) the LWP and save it as .doc, and after that I use OpenOffice to save it as .ODT. Only if there is something of the format that I don't want to loose by saving it as RTF.  It had worked for me that way.

Regards
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 01:11:57 am by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 05:26:48 pm »
Hi,

Be carrefull if you use other language than EN with accent characters. Prefer EN
I've got issue with path created having unvalid characters (frech accent in my case) which should be resolved in a futur update/release
No issue using EN. 

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 10:38:01 pm »
Hi,

Be carrefull if you use other language than EN with accent characters. Prefer EN
I've got issue with path created having unvalid characters (frech accent in my case) which should be resolved in a futur update/release
No issue using EN.

That should not be a problem is you save as .DOC  (MS-Word), as the file is then saved with a Windows charset that is read correctly by AOO, it is files saved with a OS/2 charsets that give problems when importing to OO.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 06:24:21 am »
I think that Lotus WordPro can do this, but I'm nervous about installing it under ArcaOS. As I recall Lotus did a lot of editing of config.sys in order to run.

It does add a few things to CONFIG.SYS, but the only bad things are additional lines for TEMP and TMP (the Lotus versions should be removed, immediately after installing).

If you use LCSS (Logical Config.Sys Sort) it will become immediately obvious what was added (except for TEMP and TMP). http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/util/config/lcss-0-5-1.wpi

The only other problem, that I have seen, is that the available disk space calculation may determine that you run out of space on the install drive. That has something to do with using counters that wrap at 64 GB (I think). If you have 64 GB, or less, free space, there should be no problem. If you have more, fill it up with something, and remove it again after the install.

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 11:13:01 am »
Hi,

No issue using EN.

That should not be a problem is you save as .DOC  (MS-Word), as the file is then saved with a Windows charset that is read correctly by AOO, it is files saved with a OS/2 charsets that give problems when importing to OO.

No, not for user files, WPS has french names with accents and in some cases (moving folders, deleting folders...) path names have then accent characters in it which are invalid (this makes the path undeletable and unrecognized - I had to use dfsee edit tool - thanks to dfsee develpper for his help - to remove the accent characters into path names). Now, it seems that ArcaOs team found a solution to prevent this kind of problem into next releases...   

dcull

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 09:32:34 pm »
With some detailed assistance from the ArcaNoae team i just now installed SmartSuite17-EN and ssuite173fix-en
Config.sys edit: changed the order of the Lotus additions to the Libpath so they are all at the end

Thanks for the heads up about the Lotus TEMP and TMP settings:
     rem SET TEMP=J:\LOTUSW4\TEMP
     rem SET TMP=J:\LOTUSW4\TEMP
Better to avoid duplicate locations, I suppose.

Wordpro reads the WordPerfect files (and many other types) and saves them in a range of options.
Thanks for the tip about saving formatted files as MSWord .doc to transfer the formatting over to AOO
Great stuff