Author Topic: Update ISO Image with new Drivers  (Read 7597 times)

Eric Erickson

• View Profile
Update ISO Image with new Drivers
« on: January 23, 2018, 09:04:53 pm »
I've found that I need the latest AHCI Driver to get my disks recognized. Whats the best way to update the ISO image to include the updated OS2AHCI.ADD. I'd also like to have the add the latest ACPI too.

TIA

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
Re: Update ISO Image with new Drivers
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 11:36:16 pm »
I presume you are using ArcaOS. Do you have ArcaOS 5.0 or 5.01 ? Your system might work if you download ArcaOS 5.01. Updating the boot images on the DVD is pretty complex. Hence my advise.

Best regards,

Roderick Klein

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 11:37:07 pm »
You may have to wait for ARCA OS 5.02.

ak120

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 03:25:19 am »
I've found that I need the latest AHCI Driver to get my disks recognized. Whats the best way to update the ISO image to include the updated OS2AHCI.ADD. I'd also like to have the add the latest ACPI too.

Which kind of installation media you want to modify?

http://kannegieser.net/veit/quelle/index_e.htm#memdisk.arj

Eric Erickson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 04:10:23 am »
I presume you are using ArcaOS. Do you have ArcaOS 5.0 or 5.01 ? Your system might work if you download ArcaOS 5.01. Updating the boot images on the DVD is pretty complex. Hence my advise.

Best regards,

Roderick Klein

I've got the 5.01 install media. To get the install to work I had to set BIOS to IDE Mode, not install OS2AHCI, go through the full install. Then install the latest AHCI Package, then reset bios to AHCI Mode to get the disks recognized. Next I need to build a maintenance boot volume, but really don't want to have to go through all those steps again. An updated ISO Image would be best.

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 01:08:09 pm »
OK, try this. 

Step 1.  Unpack the ISO to a directory or use a program that lets you remove/add to the iso on the fly (I use PowerISO running on win xp in a vm)

Step 2.  Extract BOOT2.PF from BOOTIMGS

Step 3.  Use e_pf.exe from Veit Kannegieser's memdisk package to extract everything in BOOT2.PF

Step 4.  Replace OS2AHCI.ADD with the one you want and repack the files to a new BOOT2.PF using packfile.exe - don't forget the compression.

Step 5.  Replace BOOT2.PF in BOOTIMGS with the updated one and recreate the ISO using either mkisofs2 (OS/2) or some other program on Linux or windows.

Step 6.  Run a test to see if everything works from the ISO.

The above assumes that you understand how the memdisk tools work, you have the necessary auxiliary files and are prepared to experiment.

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 02:18:25 am »
OK, try this. 

Step 1. [etc, etc]

The above assumes that you understand how the memdisk tools work, you have the necessary auxiliary files and are prepared to experiment.

OMG! The cure is worse than the disease. Don't even consider this (I speak from experience).

Memboot offers an option to update drivers from a diskette but diskette drives are in short supply these days, so that probably won't work. For the moment, Eric, your current strategy is probably the best one available.

FWIW... When AOS 5.0.2 is released, this problem will be history. If you choose to install from a USB flash drive rather than a DVD, you'll be able to put updated drivers in the root of the USB drive. During startup, these updates will replace the originals that came from the packed files.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 05:33:41 pm »
Hi Rich,

I couldn't agree more for those that haven't done it before.

Since over the years, starting around 2002, I have made many tailored ISO images for clients and updated them as new driver versions have become available all I did was copy my notes with a little editing and added the bit about knowing what you are doing.  In fact I have updated my ArcaOS ISO image with the latest drivers without any problems.