Author Topic: 7z archiver  (Read 12688 times)

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • ComKal Networks Australia
7z archiver
« on: July 24, 2013, 07:29:55 pm »
Hi all,

I'm looking at the archiver/zip/unzip utility 7z (p7zip-9.20.1-os2.zip from Ruediger Ihle), people seem to want to use this program for distributing software and backups but as far as I can see, it doesn't support OS/2's EA's, and there seems to be no way to set the date/time of the created archive to that of the latest date/time of the files archived.

The last is a real deal breaker for me as I deal with a lot of software, and it's one of the ways I check if there are any differences in different versions of an archive beyond the archive size. ie, with unzip.exe you simply use "unzip -T *.zip"  to 'Updated time stamp for p7zip-9.20.1-os2.zip'. I've gone through the docs and for 7z and I cant see any other command that does something like this. 7z does at least have an archive testing switch.

Is there anyone who uses 7z enough to get a feel for the program, or can tell me if I'm missing some switches that enable the inclusion of EA's ?
Cheers
Ian B Manners

Eugene Gorbunoff

• View Profile
Re: 7z archiver
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 07:45:59 pm »
Zippy supports EA for 7Zip

http://ecomstation.ru/zippy

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • ComKal Networks Australia
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 12:34:13 pm »
Hi Eugene,

I'll have a look at zippy but the lack of setting the archive time stamp to its contents date/time is still problematic for a serious zip replacement.

Thanks
Cheers
Ian B Manners

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 04:11:35 am »
Yeah, IMO 7z is only suitable for exchanging archives other platforms. 

ZIP 3.x is probably a better alternative for OS/2.