Author Topic: Help! I don't want losing my data.  (Read 16271 times)

Fahrvenugen

• View Profile
Re: Help! I don't want losing my data.
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2018, 11:13:52 pm »
I agree that the last time I tried the NTFS driver in OS/2 it did not work very well and is read-only.  I would not recommend it.

As suggested the best-case situation is to make your common data partition a FAT32 partition.  Then you can see it from both OS/2 and Windows.  It works but you do have to jump through a few hoops to make it work.

The other option - if the system is going to be used in a home environment (not a mobile environment) is to put your data drive on a network drive, build something like a NAS.  There are a few benefits to this:

1. If Windows, OS/2, or any other OS you might run (Linux, BSD, etc) can see your NAS then you can likely access your files.
2. If you have more then one computer at your location, you can access your files from any computer
3. If a end-user computer happens to crash or die - due to either hardware or software failure - your files should still be safe if your NAS is still safe
4. It is easy to backup a NAS - either build another NAS as a backup for your files, or use any of the "cloud-based" backup options and have the NAS automagically backup/sync your files to a server somewhere on the internet
5. If you want to test another OS, you can safely wipe your computer without having to worry about your files - they're on another system after all.

I know for many people running a network share at their home would be overkill, but depending on the situation sometimes it is a better option then storing files on a local PC.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 11:15:51 pm by Fahrvenugen »

Moises08

Re: Help! I don't want losing my data.
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2018, 11:35:12 pm »
I have got my files copied to a usb drive, and managed to completly wipe the drive and install both os'es again. Strangly enough, now windows recognize ntfs drives, and even OS/2 recognizes windows ntfs drives! Hurah!
My advice - NEVER EVER experiment with old, untested on the current os driver' stuff.