Author Topic: No eComStation/ArcaOs Networking on T420 with VirtualBox  (Read 4758 times)

Eric Erickson

• View Profile
No eComStation/ArcaOs Networking on T420 with VirtualBox
« on: February 12, 2018, 04:15:00 am »
I've got a T420 running Win 7. Using VBox 5.2.6. My issue is that I can not get an DHCP IP Address to either an eComStation or ArcaOS VMs. I've tried all the various combinations of Adapter (Bridged, NAT, NAT Network, etc.) and none seem to work.

When I try and bind to either my Wireless (Centrino N-6205) or Ethernet (Intel 82579LM Gigabit) it makes no difference. The IP Address never gets served.

Now the same VMs work just fine on my desktop VM System, with an RealTek PCI Gigabit Adapter.

My WinXp and W2K VMs work fine and get unique IP Addresses.

Any ideas of what could be wrong here?

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
Re: No eComStation/ArcaOs Networking on T420 with VirtualBox
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 06:20:07 am »
I use Bridged on my T510, and L530. Both work in VBox under win 10.

A couple of things to check:

Under Attached To: make sure that it is the device that is being used by the host system. If there are two possible devices (wired, and WiFi), attach two Adapters, one to each adapter, but then you have the problem of determining which one to use in the guest.

Under Network Advanced, make sure that  Cable Connected is checked. (this is the virtual cable between the virtual machine, and the NIC).

Make sure that the driver, in the guest, matches the device that is emulated. I use the MMLEM Multimac driver, with the Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop device.

It is possible that your router has used all of the DHCP addresses that it is configured to use, so it won't assign any more.

Try "DHCPSTRT -i LAN0" (no quotes) from a command line, after you get it booted. It is possible that it is attempting to get an address, before it all gets started properly.

You could try using a fixed address. You may not want to leave it that way, but it may show something.

HTH...

ak120

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 09:42:40 am »
I've got a T420 running Win 7. Using VBox 5.2.6. My issue is that I can not get an DHCP IP Address to either an eComStation or ArcaOS VMs. I've tried all the various combinations of Adapter (Bridged, NAT, NAT Network, etc.) and none seem to work.
Which NDIS adapter driver was chosen during the installation process? The automatic detection of the correct adapter type is unreliable.

Simply check your VM configuration for the selected adapter type and note the hardware address. Inside the VM start MPTS to change the corresponding adapter and protocol driver configuration.

Eric Erickson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 12:25:12 am »
I've checked all the things listed. I'm using the Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop Adapter in the VirtualBox Hardware setting.

What has me perplexed is that this exact same VM works fine on my other desktop and my WinXp VM works fine using the same Network Hardware settings on this T420.

I've manually configured the MPTS (via NAPS) settings on this machine to insure that the proper Driver is selected (MMLEM).

Tried static IP Addresses too and no go on that. Something just ain't right here.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 04:16:37 am »
What has me perplexed is that this exact same VM works fine on my other desktop

Just a WAG, but try changing the MAC address. If it is a duplicate of another one (perhaps on the other machine), it will usually refuse to connect. Go to the Network-> Adapter x-> Advanced, and click the icon to the right of the MAC address field. It should create a unique address.

ak120

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 11:37:53 am »
I've checked all the things listed. I'm using the Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop Adapter in the VirtualBox Hardware setting.
I would change it to the Intel PRO/1000 Server Adapter, that should be better supported under OS/2 guest systems.

What has me perplexed is that this exact same VM works fine on my other desktop and my WinXp VM works fine using the same Network Hardware settings on this T420.
There are of course differences in the used host environment.

I've manually configured the MPTS (via NAPS) settings on this machine to insure that the proper Driver is selected (MMLEM).
I cannot comment about this experimental MMLEM stuff. But I think it's purpose is for PCIe NIC support. The emulated NICs from VirtualBox (or QEMU) are mean PCI devices.

I'm simply using the Intel Gigabit E1000.OS2 NDIS2 adapter driver which delivers acceptable performance for OS/2 VMs.
My CONFIG.SYS files for VirtualBox VMs usually includes: DEVICE=\IBMCOM\MACS\E1000.OS2