Author Topic: Limitation on using an USB DVD and CD writer under ArcaOS  (Read 17887 times)

David Graser

• View Profile
Re: Limitation on using an USB DVD and CD writer under ArcaOS
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 05:54:38 am »
2 Dave Yeo:

Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD 3.01 (i386-pc-os2-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2015 Joerg Schilling

Where did you took 3.01? Is this available from ArcaNoae repositories only? Access to non-arca users is closed?
It is on the ISO, here, J:\CID\SERVER\RPM\LOCALREP\cdrtools-3.01.1-1.oc00.i386.rpm on a recent beta version.

Thanks Dave for the info. 

Found it on the disk and installed it. 

To begin, I tested it with DVD Toys.  The USB device was now recognized,  whereas, with the ArcaOS 5.02 driver it was not.  I tried to unpack the iso to the writer, but it was not allowed.  It gave me an error message about the CDR Tools not being compiled by Froloff, it was not safe to proceed and would not let me go any further.

Next, I tried it with RSJ writer.  As Neil stated earlier, RSJ cannot find the writer when DVD Toys is installed.  Uninstalled DVD Toys and tried RSJ again.  Sure enough, the USB DVD writer was recognized and worked as it should. 

Note: this is with cdrtools-3.01.1-1.oc00.i386.rpm installed.  Neil is right.  RSJ cannot find the drive so long as DVD Toys is installed.  I now believe, RSJ may have worked with the drivers that came with ArcaOS 5.02. DVD Toys would not let it recognize the drive.  It will require me to install 5.02 again to test.

OK I reinstalled Arca0s 5.02 and installed just RSJ writer.  The USB writer worked fine with the drivers included with version 5.02. Update:  I was mistaken.  The driver appears to work with RSJ, but when finished nothing is written to the DVD.  It is bank.  Did this several times.  So one diffinitely needs the cdrtools-3.01.1-1.oc00.i386.rpm for USB to work properly.

There was one other difference I noted.  DVD Toys was unable to see the USB drive with the driver that came with version 5.02.   With cdrtools-3.01.1-1.oc00.i386, DVD Toys was able to see the USB drive, but would not allow one to use it due to the above reason stated.  It seems to me, somehow adding that this driver was compiled by Froloff and DVD Toys may work with this program.  Now if one could only figure out why RSJ writer will not work with DVD Toys installed.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 07:42:11 am by David Graser »

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 10:25:43 am »
1) so, USBMSD.ADD seems to do its job and can therefore be ruled out

2) cdrecord needs a DVD/CD writer device to appear as an SCSI device. That typically requires 2 drivers:
    a) OS2ASPI.DMD (/ALL) which comes with OS/2
    b) a proprietary router driver that routes to OS2ASPI.DMD, normally that would be ASPIROUT.SYS from Paul Ratcliffe. Also there is aspinikk.sys (or something like that) that does about the same. However, for
reasons yet unknown the later sometimes fails to load on bootup (at least on my system).

3) I seem to remember that at least DANIATAP.FLT had a switch /RSJ that would make visible a DCD/CD-ROM drive that would otherwise be claimed exclusively by RSJ (at least while writing). But DANIATAP.FLT does not come into play for USB attached DVD/CD-ROM drives (is DANIATAP.FLT still necessary for CD-ROM/DVD drives attached via AHCI ?).

Lars
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 10:33:33 am by Lars »

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2018, 11:06:08 am »
2Lars:

aspinkk.sys, which works fine on mys system. Why it could not load? Never seen this. "/RSJ" switch -- I never used it. Just commenting the lockcdr.flt out, with adding the set to config.sys like "SET CDR_DEVICE_NAME1=DVD_RW ND-3500AG" does the job. And finally, you'll need to add a line to cddrv.inf file, describing your CD-writer:

_NEC       "DVD_RW ND-3500AG"  N/A    "_NEC    DVD_RW ND-3500AG" N/A                      cdatapi   ATAPI      CUESHEET     N/A

So that, now RSJ does not lock the CDR, and does not detect it each time on boot. Instead, it uses description from cddrv.inf, pointed by "SET" in config.sys.

Regarding DANIATAPI, it seems to be not needed with newer Danis506.add (it includes DaniATAPI.flt). OS2AHCI.ADD seems to be including the same functionality, too. (Though, I never tried AHCI-attached CD-writers, as I haven't them).

USB CD writers only work via a drive letters. They cannot work via SCSI emulation. (I have an USB CD/DVD and USB BD writer)

2Dave Yeo: Indeed, I see CDRTOOLS 3.01 in arcanoae yum repository I have configured. It is available for download without any password. Strange, but good. :)

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2018, 11:16:50 am »
2David Graser: Yes, it looks like DVD/CD Toys installs Froloff's version of OS2CDROM.DMD. And RSJ does not work with it. You can try install DVD Toys, and restore the original OS2CDROPM.DMD 10.163 which was installed before. It seems to be overwritten by DVD Toys. Maybe they will work after that.

ak120

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2018, 06:50:52 pm »
2Andreas Kohl: I don't know what is undocumented in OS/2 version of cdrtools. It works the same as UNIX versions. AFAIK, it uses libscg too (It wrote a string like "Unofficial libscg transport ..." to the screen when writing CD's) .
If it would use libscg properly, no warning text should be displayed. I'm using cdrecord for different Unices and even there the transport mechanisms can differ. And "unofficial" means undocumented resulting unreliable behaviour.

What is HBA?
Host bus adapter (Хост-адаптер шины) should be common term in storage topics, at least for the Intel world.

No, as I checked in my arcaos copy, it has latest OS2CDROM.DMD v. 10.163, the same as supplied with UDF 2.16
The doc of  froloff cdrtools build (and also RSJ V6) recommends to use at least OS2CDROM.DMD 10.157. Later versions of cdrecord can also deal to some degree with UDF.
So it seems the ALPHA cdrtools fork shipped via ArcaNoae RPM is using a different approach. And the contained text file doesn't match with the output from:
Code: [Select]
cdrecord dev=help

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2018, 01:48:25 am »
Using a USB CD/DVD writer with AOS made simple...
  • Unzip the attached file which contains a copy of cdrecord.exe taken from cdrtools-2-01-01a59upd.wpi, along with a copy of libc05.dll.
  • Rename the existing (much newer) version of cdrecord in x:\usr\bin, then copy in the replacement.
  • Put libc05.dll in x:\usr\lib
You're done.

FYI... I tested this by burning an ISO to a CD. Whether it works for anything else remains to be seen.

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2018, 04:58:18 am »
2Rich Walsh: This works not only with arcaos, but with any OS/2 version. Also, arcanoae yum repository contains newer CDRTOOLS version, 3.01. Why it is not working for you?

2Andreas Kohl:

If it would use libscg properly, no warning text should be displayed. I'm using cdrecord for different Unices and even there the transport mechanisms can differ. And "unofficial" means undocumented resulting unreliable behaviour.

Warning is just because this libscg transport is unknown to CDRTOOLS build system. Unofficial means that Nickk and Froloff did not inform Joerg Schilling about the backend they wrote. It was tested many times by many people.

So it seems the ALPHA cdrtools fork shipped via ArcaNoae RPM is using a different approach. And the contained text file doesn't match with the output from:

Code: [Select]
cdrecord dev=help

Yes, they are different. Probably, arca did their own port from scratch, because Nick and Froloff did not published their patches.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 05:00:17 am by Valery Sedletski »

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2018, 05:03:35 am »
Even with Rich Walsh's cdrecord, burning ISO to USB DVD causes an error. I appreciate that I could probably fool around with this until it worked, but I'm too lazy. It looks like it's going to work, the drive is recognized, but it doesn't take long to fail.

Also, the command line processing for mkisofs2.exe differ from mkisofs.exe, so my scripts don't work.

Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Eugene Gorbunoff

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2018, 02:33:17 pm »

To use USB DVD writer,

install Full DVD Toys + old cdrtools (from the site of DVD Toys)

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2018, 07:47:37 pm »
Even with Rich Walsh's cdrecord, burning ISO to USB DVD causes an error.
To use USB DVD writer, install Full DVD Toys + old cdrtools (from the site of DVD Toys)

The version of cdrecord I posted was taken from the "old cdrtools" posted on the eCoSoft web site.

Unless DVD Toys uses some magic commandline option that the AOS version doesn't, then the full-featured version is also likely to fail on Neil's system.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2018, 09:19:05 pm »
Even with Rich Walsh's cdrecord, burning ISO to USB DVD causes an error.
To use USB DVD writer, install Full DVD Toys + old cdrtools (from the site of DVD Toys)

The version of cdrecord I posted was taken from the "old cdrtools" posted on the eCoSoft web site.

Unless DVD Toys uses some magic commandline option that the AOS version doesn't, then the full-featured version is also likely to fail on Neil's system.

I believe Neil is referring to burning DVDs with RSJ writer.  As stated earlier in the post, problems occur with both DVD Toys and RSJ writer installed on the same system.  Using the old cdrtools,  DVD Toys has no problem burning, but won't work with the cdtool.exe that comes with ArcaOS.  Now go to RSJ Writer and the writer cannot find (at least in my case) the USB DVD writer.

I must tell everyone that I like using DVD Toys,  It has a polished up to date up look and it made burning the iso so easy.  I have both programs, but will continue to use Toys from now on.  I assume that DVD Tools can do everything that RSJ writer can do.

Froloff in his documentation said he would send to anyone his code changes if requested.  However, I could be mistaken, but the impression I get is that he has disappeared off the map.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2018, 09:53:43 pm »
Froloff in his documentation said he would send to anyone his code changes if requested.  However, I could be mistaken, but the impression I get is that he has disappeared off the map.

That's a problem as the license (GPL for older cdrecord, not sure about this version as Schilling changed the license at one point)  may say no distribution without the source, or an offer of the source. Probably no one will ever complain but it is for reasons such as this that source (or patches) should be distributed with the binary or put somewhere public.