Author Topic: Touchpad use with OS/2, ArcaOS  (Read 7168 times)

ivan

• View Profile
Touchpad use with OS/2, ArcaOS
« on: February 15, 2018, 05:59:02 pm »
Are there any special drivers in OS/2 that can be used with touchpads and will allow the switching off of tapping?

At the moment I have a stiff plastic sheet taped over the touchpad of my Acer laptop and use a usb trackball because the slightest change in pressure on the touchpad is seen as a click of the mb1.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Touchpad use with OS/2, ArcaOS
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 07:35:57 pm »
Nothing in the BIOS?

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 01:23:27 am »
Are there any special drivers in OS/2 that can be used with touchpads and will allow the switching off of tapping?

At the moment I have a stiff plastic sheet taped over the touchpad of my Acer laptop and use a usb trackball because the slightest change in pressure on the touchpad is seen as a click of the mb1.

I have tried Arca 5.0.2 on a Dell Inspiron and  the glide pad worked worked normally. I would have to reinstall to test more.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 01:31:00 am »
No, nothing I can find.  It is a standard Synaptics unit from a PCI scan.

I wonder how other people get on with touchpads when using OS/2 on laptops or is it just me that gets peed off with tapping?

@Eugene,

The touchpad works it is just too sensitive to what it sees as tapping (I start moving the pointer from one side of the screen to the other but I can't do it in one move, if I lift my finger to continue the movement the moment I put my finger back down it is seem as a tap, mb1, NOT GOOD).

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 02:49:54 am »
I wonder how other people get on with touchpads when using OS/2 on laptops or is it just me that gets peed off with tapping?

I disabled mine.
You could test with the other mouse driver. You probably have Amouse installed, so you could try the standard mouse driver

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 04:40:18 am »
My Lenovo ThinkPad T510 has a BIOS setting, to turn that $%^%$$# thing off. My Lenovo ThinkPad L530 does not have such a setting (but the windows driver does), so I have a piece of heavy cardboard taped over it. Whoever invented the TouchPad, should be shot, and whoever decided to leave out the setting should be right behind them.

FWIW, it seems that there are at least two different TouchPads, and none of them work, for me. It also seems that normal mouse drivers work with them, whether you want them to, or not.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 04:59:45 am »
My Lenovo Thinkpad X220's touch paid is sensitive too.  I have to be extremely careful when using a text program.  I will be typing along and text will be moved, deleted, and inserting somewhere else on the page.  I chalked it up to my poor typing.  I don't dare touch the touch pad.  It is random.  I have to make sure that when I am typing, no part of my hand touches the pad.

Daniel

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 07:21:10 am »
I guess I'm fortunate. I have one of the laptops built by Foxconn for Hannspree to demo their lcd screens. It has a button between the two "mouse" buttons that turns the touchpad on and off. In Windows the touchpad does a gazillion things. In OS/2 it moves the mouse pointer and taps are always mouse button 1, but you still have a "mouse key" for button two. And yes, typing a lot with the pad on is a pain. You find your text appearing in random locations.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 02:48:59 pm »
Hi All

I have 2 laptops and I use a USB mouse with both.

The Acer 5320 touchpad works with eCS/ArcaOS but has the problem of interfering with typing others have mentioned so is best turned off.

The Dell E6600 touchpad does not work with eCS/ArcaOS at all.

Overall, eCS/ArcaOS and laptop touchpads do not go well together.

Regards

Pete

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 03:33:10 pm »
I have an old Toshiba Satellite.  It was easy to enable and disable the touch pad.  It has a special key "Fn".  To enable and disable touch pad, I would hit Fn + F9 keys.   It was that easy.

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 04:04:44 pm »
Everything with mouse is in OS/2 loaded on the mouse product. Have you tried with USB Device Monitor program in finding out if it is an USB product?