Author Topic: OS2VOICE RPM Server  (Read 19797 times)

Lars

• View Profile
Re: OS2VOICE RPM Server
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 11:12:53 am »
Just to add: everybody can always extract the original WIS installation script file from a WPI archive. It's ASCII plain text and the syntax well explained in the documentation that comes with WarpIn.

That is, even for unmaintained WPI packages:
1) we can fix the installation by extracting the original WIS script from the WPI, modifying it to our liking and putting it back into the WPI
2) we can deduce an uninstallation script (Rich's suggestion) from what the original WIS installation script does

The only thing that has always been a mess is that with WarpIn you can easily screw up your config.sys to a point where after uninstallation of a WPI the system will no longer boot. See the FAT32 WPI.
Short rule: NEVER EVER have a WPI script modify PATH or LIBPATH with subdirectory paths that you can expect to exist (like \OS2 or \OS2\DLL).

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 12:27:56 pm »
Hi

Is there a way to extract the .spec file script (or the install script) from an RPM package in OS/2? It will be useful to me to examine other sample scripts.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 03:26:05 pm »
I don't know. But why don't you look here:
http://trac.netlabs.org/rpm/browser/spec/trunk/SPECS

? That should give you an idea, at least. I think everybody has read-only access to that directory ...

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 05:27:32 pm »
Hi

Is there a way to extract the .spec file script (or the install script) from an RPM package in OS/2? It will be useful to me to examine other sample scripts.

Regards

I think you can download the source rpm and use unrpm to get to the spec file.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2018, 07:08:51 pm »
Just to add: everybody can always extract the original WIS installation script file from a WPI archive. It's ASCII plain text and the syntax well explained in the documentation that comes with WarpIn.

That is, even for unmaintained WPI packages:
1) we can fix the installation by extracting the original WIS script from the WPI, modifying it to our liking and putting it back into the WPI
2) we can deduce an uninstallation script (Rich's suggestion) from what the original WIS installation script does

The only thing that has always been a mess is that with WarpIn you can easily screw up your config.sys to a point where after uninstallation of a WPI the system will no longer boot. See the FAT32 WPI.
Short rule: NEVER EVER have a WPI script modify PATH or LIBPATH with subdirectory paths that you can expect to exist (like \OS2 or \OS2\DLL).

For those that are not aware of it, there is a very useful program for reviewing wpi files on Hobbes.  This is a front end for reviewing the files enclosed in the WPI, the wis script, and and if the config.sys is to be modified.  It can unpackage the files and also save a copy of the wis script to anywhere one wants.  This helped me tremendously when I was writing wpi's for my eschemes years ago.

http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/util/archiver/wpiview105.zip

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2018, 10:21:11 pm »
WIC.EXE can do the same from a commandline.