Public Discussions > General Discussion

The Mainframe Kid - and OS/2

<< < (3/3)

Bogdan:

--- Quote from: Dave Yeo on January 04, 2019, 05:08:49 am ---it would probably build and run fine on OS/2. Biggest problem would be no network support as it needs a tap driver which I don't think we have.

--- End quote ---
Do you speak about Hercules here? How can it be a problem? Most of the operating systems you can run legally under Hercules or as a guest under VM/370 don't have LAN support. There are different branches of the Hercules code, some of them provide emulation of control units. But I don't think that most users want to manage all this ACF/VTAM stuff. So it should be more simple to use a 2540 or tape for data exchange.

Dave Yeo:
I know very little about Hercules, just looked at the build requirements and the tap driver jumped out as a missing requirement.

Bogdan:

--- Quote from: Dave Yeo on January 08, 2019, 06:13:51 pm ---I know very little about Hercules, just looked at the build requirements and the tap driver jumped out as a missing requirement.

--- End quote ---
Which branch of hercules? The only usage I can imagine is with the OSA which would mean native linux/390. Although in this case z/VM would handle the load much cheaper nowadays.

The only "tap" I could find is from inside "tape". https://github.com/SDL-Hercules-390/hyperion

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version