Author Topic: RTL8211CL DRIVER  (Read 27776 times)

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
Re: RTL8211CL DRIVER
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 06:00:48 pm »
I never used parameters with R8169, and I used it with 9 different NICS (all different, even though all but one claimed to be a 10EC:8168, which is simply the on board version of the 10EC:8169). It is certainly not necessary to tell it that it is using an IRQ over 15.

It sounds like you may have got the NIC interface turned off, by using a bad driver (R8168 will do that). Running windows, or Linux, did not get it turned back on, for me. Turn the machine off, pull the plug for a couple of minutes, then plug it back in. The R8169 driver will probably work, although one of mine didn't (the newest one). It connected okay, but scrambled the data. The MMRE driver works very well, with all of them. The later versions of Multimac will use the MSI interrupt method, if the hardware supports that (most will).

$50 US, ($75 Can)

Well, it is actually $49 US, which is somewhere near $63 CAD (plus exchange fees). It is also more than just one driver. Well worth the investment, if you want to use OS/2.

I was just wondering, does ANoae have an upgrade plan for old eCS users?

I don't think so. ArcaOS is based on a different version of OS/2, but the driver package applies to eCS, as well as older versions of OS/2, ArcaOS has it's own subscription package.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 07:44:20 pm »
$50 US, ($75 Can)

Well, it is actually $49 US, which is somewhere near $63 CAD (plus exchange fees). It is also more than just one driver. Well worth the investment, if you want to use OS/2.

I was just wondering, does ANoae have an upgrade plan for old eCS users?

I don't think so. ArcaOS is based on a different version of OS/2, but the driver package applies to eCS, as well as older versions of OS/2, ArcaOS has it's own subscription package.

Doug makes an excellent point...I have purchased the $49 US Drivers subscription for the past 3 yrs...money well spent. If anything, consider that their last release of SNAP video drivers finally put to bed the nasty SMP bug...I only wish they could fix the poor performance so that I could actually retire the original SciTech SNAP drivers.

I believe that the upgrade process is something that AN team is going to look at in the future, but for right now, no specific plans and/or dates have been released.

Ben

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 08:41:09 pm »
One can play silly games with monetary details all day, it makes not one scratch on the point which I clearly stated and I will restate now, and that is that $50 US is too much money for a NIC driver that may or may not address my situation.

Whether the driver package is "well worth the money" in another and different circumstance, is irrelevant, non-productive, and ignores the rest of what I wrote.

And ArcOS is not another OS but simply OS/2 Warp repackaged and updated in certain areas, but with many, many things untouched. I have nothing wrong with that and would buy an update if one is made available, but it is not available right now and I would like it if the topic of this thread were not shanghaied into a "let's all protect/sell the new branded OS/2" flavour please. OS/2 World has an unlimited number of new threads that can be made to accommodate that... most of which I would probably read.

Getting back to the topic, eCS 2.2 b2 tells me that the NVETH driver is the man so I am tinkering with that right now; Frankly, I don't have much hope for this working out though the motherboard is otherwise quite fast.

With respect to no parameters being used for RT8169 in Doug's circumstances in the past/present is meaningless. I used the parameter I posted years ago to great success and I used it again yesterday to eliminate the IRQ Detection Error, so there are obviously circumstances when such a thing is beneficial...

However, while there is only one PCI slot on this board there are two PCIEX1 slots there. Are there any supported NICs/drivers available with eCS that would work that anyone here is aware of?

Thanks.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 09:13:50 pm »
Depending on the age of your motherboard and how much it depends on ACPI, it might be worth a test of disabling it by remming out the PSD=ACPI.PSD line in config.sys. This will force the driver to use a low IRQ and the older IRQ routing. Make sure you have a means of booting in case your system refuses to come up with no ACPI.

ivan

• View Profile

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2018, 11:09:02 pm »
Ben,

...Whether the driver package is "well worth the money" in another and different circumstance, is irrelevant, non-productive, and ignores the rest of what I wrote...I would like it if the topic of this thread were not shanghaied into a "let's all protect/sell the new branded OS/2" flavour please...

Whoah....c'mon man...you posted a question regarding the driver support for your NIC, what you got was actually a pretty good response as far as hands-on experience goes AND what your other options may be.

Quite frankly, in as small of a forum as we have here, you'd think someone like yourself who is being presented with various additional options (whatever these may be...heck, build your own driver with the 32-bit driver framework then???) would at least be inclined to say "thank you" in a slightly less "up yours" kind of a way...know what I mean???

No one is trying to steal your thread and convert it into a sales pitch for ANOS...but man, your take on the thread contributions sure make me feel like I wasted the time digging through my system to at least get you some additional info...heck, I hate to imagine what would have happened had I checked the AN NIC driver README for your specific NIC device ID, pretty good chance, by the sounds of it, that I'd be accused of getting commisions on the sales...LOL, yeah, seriously, that's how ridiculous it seems to me.

Anyways...good luck to you...

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2018, 12:15:30 am »
Getting back to the topic, eCS 2.2 b2 tells me that the NVETH driver is the man so I am tinkering with that right now

HUH? NVETH is for NVIDIA chipsets, not Realtek.

Since you don't want to spend a few dollars, the R8169 driver is your only choice, for a full function NIC driver (unless eCS 2.2b2 has an early copy of MMRE available - it might).

Anyway, as Dariusz said: good luck to you..

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2018, 10:42:47 pm »
Since you don't want to spend a few dollars, the R8169 driver is your only choice, for a full function NIC driver
Offtopic: Doug, do you have a recommendation for a PCIe NIC? I wasn't successful with the usual Intel cards that I'd tried.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2018, 11:40:56 pm »
Offtopic: Doug, do you have a recommendation for a PCIe NIC? I wasn't successful with the usual Intel cards that I'd tried.

I have an Intel PCIe NIC. I don't have it installed, at the moment, so I don't know what the PCI ID is, but it says "INTEL(R) GIGABIT CT DESKTOP ADAPTER" on it. It has always worked with Multimac E1000e and better with Multimac E1000b (preferred). I can't speak for other cards, but anything that is listed as supported by Multimac should work.

ak120

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2018, 11:42:53 am »
a recommendation for a PCIe NIC? I wasn't successful with the usual Intel cards that I'd tried.
The most simple solution for client systems that's still available would be a "SysKonnect SK-9E21D". Matching NDIS2 drivers can be downloaded from Hobbes.

Ben

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2018, 03:53:36 pm »
Thanks everyone for replying. I appreciate all of your replys.

I got the driver working by updating my old ACPI file.

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2018, 08:51:57 pm »
b

And ArcOS is not another OS but simply OS/2 Warp repackaged and updated in certain areas, but with many, many things untouched. I have nothing wrong with that and would buy an update if one is made available, but it is not available right now and I would like it if the topic of this thread were not shanghaied into a "let's all protect/sell the new branded OS/2" flavour please.

I was the guy at Mensys who made the finishing touches on the eCS 2.2 beta 2 you have from December 2013.
Having seen how ArcaOS has evolved and if you look how much work they did.  The released new kernels, updated ACPI version with way more functionality. MSI Interrupt support, support for waay more NIC chipsets, update USB stack. Split window view in in Xworkplace updated and working. And a whole range of other updates to the OS.
ArcaOS is just eCS a mayor mayor overhaul and not just an OS/2 version with some items glued on the side...
They way I read what you have tied you make it sound like small update. Its not... To many systems sadly eCS 2.2 beta II now also fails on...

I gladd you got your NIC working. A Dutch OS/2 users asked me if he could get eCS 1.2 or 2.1 working on a new system he purchased 6 months ago. He gets TRAP screen when installing eCS 1.2 on a brand new system.
As time progress I think eCS 2.2 beta will also run out of guess. Because for example the USB 3.0 support is killing other OS/2 distributions off sadly... ArcaOS 5.02 has now been released to boot from a USB stick...

Anyway ArcaOS is a whole lot more then just some bits and pieces sticked to OS/2...

Roderick Klein

Ben

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2018, 09:28:07 pm »
As I said earlier Roderick, I don't/didn't want to turn this thread into a "Hurrah for ArcaOS" thread.

I that know we are often guilty of reading only what we want to read and disregarding the rest, (it's merely a question of degree), but I always prefer to stick to topic. For if we do not then please tell me, what's the point of making a thread if everyone just comes in with their muddy boots on and stamps all over everything? It makes any potential benefit of this, (or any other thread for that matter), useless to anyone who is looking for help.

So, someone start a Hurrah of ArcaOs! thread for chrissake before someone here has an aneurism! It appears that in this forum witchy fingers are the devil's workshop and typing is a daily addiction... and everyone here who has ever been a teenager knows full well how painful blueballs can be. Please! Give them some release! Just not here... Hehehehe.

Post Script:

Did I say something like that before? Yes, I surely did, but you wouldn't know that if you didn't read it...

In fact, I think that Martin should make a dedicated forum category for people who want to type yet, have nothing to say...

And I'm not being entirely sarcastic in saying that. Human interaction is very important, electrons are everywhere, infinite in number and availability, so why the hell not? Sort of a drainage or purification project for the threads. Those who want to wade through it can, (and most will), and those who want the distilled knowledge will know to stay clear
  8)

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2018, 06:36:13 am »
Dariusz

" If anything, consider that their last release of SNAP video drivers finally put to bed the nasty SMP bug...I only wish they could fix the poor performance so that I could actually retire the original SciTech SNAP drivers."

Does this mean that SNAP now works OK on SMP systems? And could you please explain the comment about performance comment and original SciTech SNAP drivers?

Thanks
Doug

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2018, 10:20:32 am »
but it says "INTEL(R) GIGABIT CT DESKTOP ADAPTER" on it. It has always worked with Multimac E1000e and better with Multimac E1000b (preferred).
Thanks, I have this one, but only could get it to work partly with an older mm driver. It worked once, but loading following data took about 100 times too long. BTW: I've also tried another recent Intel PCIe server NIC. I just can't find where I noticed their ids.

But good to know that a working Intel PCIe NIC exists somewhere.