Author Topic: Censorship complaints  (Read 19885 times)

Andi B.

• View Profile
Re: Censorship complaints
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2018, 01:41:12 pm »
And we should all remember the differences in languages and cultures represented here can make statements come across harsher than perhaps intended.
All true. But as Lars stated above this is not the case with ak120/Andreas Kohl. We the German native speakers know
  • it's not a language problem (if you read his statements you know he is very very good in English compared to most of the other Germans/Austrians/Swiss here)
  • it's not a cultural problem (maybe some very slight damage given by the long ago punishment in Eastern Germany. But all other Ex-DDR guys I know handle that much better)
  • it's a personal problem with him which drives people crazy even in the German forum os2.org
  • he's very often offtopic and gives irrelevant inputs (constantly talks about ancient hard-/software no one else uses since ages nor the thread starter does)
  • constantly wants to demonstrate he, and only he, is right and knowledgeable
On the other hand he has some very deep knowledge in some fields and sometimes (unfortunately not very often) gives very valuable information.

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2018, 02:18:50 pm »
And we should all remember the differences in languages and cultures represented here can make statements come across harsher than perhaps intended.
All true. But as Lars stated above this is not the case with ak120/Andreas Kohl. We the German native speakers know
  • it's not a language problem (if you read his statements you know he is very very good in English compared to most of the other Germans/Austrians/Swiss here)
  • it's not a cultural problem (maybe some very slight damage given by the long ago punishment in Eastern Germany. But all other Ex-DDR guys I know handle that much better)
  • it's a personal problem with him which drives people crazy even in the German forum os2.org
  • he's very often offtopic and gives irrelevant inputs (constantly talks about ancient hard-/software no one else uses since ages nor the thread starter does)
  • constantly wants to demonstrate he, and only he, is right and knowledgeable
On the other hand he has some very deep knowledge in some fields and sometimes (unfortunately not very often) gives very valuable information.

I couldn't have said it any better. It is more or less a lack in human skills/interpersonal skills. I wish I could say something else/better, and I am really sad about it, but it is exactly as Andi writes. And what makes me even more sad: in 99% there is no reason for this at all.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 02:36:25 pm by Sigurd Fastenrath »

xynixme

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2018, 06:32:44 pm »
write absolutely anything you want (excluding if you are from one of about 100 nations where you will go to jail)
The single fact that someone else can insult about 100 nations just confirms that the moderators are unqualified volunteers with a rather random nepotism policy. This Andreas isn't that bad, and typically he's accountable and replies. If you don't like it, then perhaps try to read what you don't like less often, or get used to sometimes having to read between the lines.

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2018, 07:21:35 pm »
There is someone on this forum who doesn't seem to know the meaning of the word nepotism.....

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • ComKal Networks Australia
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2018, 08:12:40 pm »
Hi Everyone,

Continuing this thread is pointless as it will degenerate into pointless debate and replies.

Andreas's post that started this was removed for a reason, and instead of thinking about it and moving on, Andreas simply becomes argumentative and controlling.

The purpose of os2world.com is for people who use or are interested in OS/2 (and it's derivatives) to exchange information, seek help, post ideas, ask honest silly questions etc. All in a FRIENDLY and non threatening environment. If someone threatens the environment, then a moderators job is remove or change that threat.

This website or forum is not a democracy, nor is it subject to anarchy. It is not my domain, nor is it my website and as such there are lines that I can't cross.

While we all have different ways of doing things, a moderators job is to attempt to ensure that people do not unnecessarily feel threatened or that they feel unwelcome for asking a question. os2world is not a free for all, if it was it would cease to operate in a short time frame. I've been around long enough to see what happens to forums that are left open with no enforcement of even basic rules.

Moderators are people, and people are not perfect but when someone is asked more than once to give some thought to a reply, or simply not reply to something unless they have something positive to contribute to that reply, they cannot expect a moderator to keep ignoring both them and their posts. If someone wants to argue the point that they have the freedom to be rude to others on a forum that they do not own or run, they are as I stated in the second post of this thread, welcome to grab a domain and setup their own forums that they themselves control and have the freedom to run as they see fit.

I refer everyone to the second post of this thread as well as the "Rules for the Forum - Code of Conduct" at https://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php/topic,1659.0.html

André, trolling is not a good idea, and I might suggest you check a dictionary as well.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 05:50:34 am by Ian Manners »
Cheers
Ian B Manners