Author Topic: UEFI & SecureBoot?  (Read 22665 times)

Zigulec

UEFI & SecureBoot?
« on: July 27, 2013, 12:50:41 pm »
It happens quite a lot that whatever hardware we buy these days, a Win system is pre-installed in (U)EFI & SecureBoot mode.
Is there a plan how to make eCS UEFI / SecureBoot compliant?

St.

pHOENIXcITY

Re: UEFI & SecureBoot?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 05:28:37 pm »
just wait for new version.......

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 04:12:58 am »
Not for eCS 2.2, but I believe there are some longer-term plans in the works.

Unfortunately it's not simple or easy to implement.

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 03:55:04 pm »
It happens quite a lot that whatever hardware we buy these days, a Win system is pre-installed in (U)EFI & SecureBoot mode.
Is there a plan how to make eCS UEFI / SecureBoot compliant?

St.

UEFI systems for the coming years you can switch to legacy mode in the EFI BIOS.
You need to switch it to legacy mode to boot.
yes we looking into implementing GPT/UEFI support. We have been working on this for over 2 years.
But before you see anything useable will take some time.

At this current moment the very good German computer magazine C'T recommends that EFI for Linux users is something, if it can be avoided is welcome.

But in the end EFI is here to stay.

Roderick Klein
Mensys
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 04:33:16 pm by Roderick Klein »

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 04:56:39 pm »
For the records:

I just got a new X230t from Lenovo with 8 GB Ram, i7 and so on. There is still the option to disable Secure Boot and UEFI in the BIOS, a least to emulate the "Legacy" BIOS.

While eCS 2.2 latest beta failed installation several times because of complaining about the HDD (where the eCS 2.2 demo while booting does not), it worked quite well once I installed it using the Clone method and DFSEE.

It may be worth a try for those trying to install eCS 2.2 on modern hardware if "usual" installation fails to create a clone of a working system and restore it on the new hardware. This will be shown in Cologne in November as mentioned. This is safe and time saving (takes about 5 to 10 minutes).

This allways worked for me.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 04:59:22 pm by Sigurd Fastenrath »

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 05:19:31 pm »
I struggled with a UEFI system (IBM X Series) server, and eCS 2.2 beta simply does not recognize the SATA hardware. It fails even in compatibility mode with

OS2AHCI driver version 1.29
Found AHCI device: Intel PCH AHCI (8086:3b22) class: 010601 bus: 0
devfunc 0xfa
OS2AHCI: couldn't register [MM]IO region: (rc = RMRC_RES_ALREADY_CLAIMED)
No adapters found.

Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Michaelhz

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 07:14:11 pm »
This message normally applies when DANIS506 has already occupied the adapter (see OS2AHCI's RMRC_RES_ALREADY_CLAIMED message). Changing the boot sequence (1st: OS2AHCI, 2nd: DANIS506) should work.

If not, consider opening a ticket in http://svn.ecomstation.nl/ahci

jdeb

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 10:25:31 pm »
For the records:

I just got a new X230t from Lenovo with 8 GB Ram, i7 and so on. There is still the option to disable Secure Boot and UEFI in the BIOS, a least to emulate the "Legacy" BIOS.

While eCS 2.2 latest beta failed installation several times because of complaining about the HDD (where the eCS 2.2 demo while booting does not), it worked quite well once I installed it using the Clone method and DFSEE.

It may be worth a try for those trying to install eCS 2.2 on modern hardware if "usual" installation fails to create a clone of a working system and restore it on the new hardware. This will be shown in Cologne in November as mentioned. This is safe and time saving (takes about 5 to 10 minutes).

Are their any license issue's doing it that way? Just curious. Additionally, what about those who can not attend Cologne? Is their any documentation on doing it, I thought I read it somewhere but it escapes me at the moment?

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 02:44:26 am »
This message normally applies when DANIS506 has already occupied the adapter (see OS2AHCI's RMRC_RES_ALREADY_CLAIMED message). Changing the boot sequence (1st: OS2AHCI, 2nd: DANIS506) should work.

If not, consider opening a ticket in http://svn.ecomstation.nl/ahci

I don't have to change the boot sequence -- that is the default. It's probably futile to open a ticket because I no longer have access to the hardware. The strength of a forum over the ticketing system is that the forum is indexed, so in the future someone could find my comment. I try to do both, with a pointer to the ticket in the forum.

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 02:50:10 am »
I struggled with a UEFI system (IBM X Series) server, and eCS 2.2 beta simply does not recognize the SATA hardware. It fails even in compatibility mode with
Which model of X-series?  I run one old one that has SCSI drives but another slightly newer one (still rather old) will not work with SAS drives.  I haven't got one with actual SATA drives to test.

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 07:40:28 am »
For the records:

Are their any license issue's doing it that way? Just curious. Additionally, what about those who can not attend Cologne? Is their any documentation on doing it, I thought I read it somewhere but it escapes me at the moment?

No, there will be no documentation, sorry. I might make a "How To" Video about it sometime but I am not sure. As long as you just install the clone on only one PC (or according to the number of license you own) I do not see any legal problem. I would like to advice to license and therefore support DFSEE as this is really a great peace of software.

I am thinking about making a bootable DFSEE USB Stick with the clone images of eCS 2.2. and Warp 4 on it....

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 07:49:58 am »

OS2AHCI driver version 1.29
Found AHCI device: Intel PCH AHCI (8086:3b22) class: 010601 bus: 0
devfunc 0xfa
OS2AHCI: couldn't register [MM]IO region: (rc = RMRC_RES_ALREADY_CLAIMED)
No adapters found.

I had the same problem with "my" OS/2 Warp 4 system - it did not occur with eCS 2.2.

Roderick Klein "oracled" he did know the reason for this but gave me no hint nor helped me with this - because of using Warp 4 instead of eCS 2.2 I guess. That slowed down my motivation in general to share my experiences, but at least I pointed them to the download source for a different OS2 Loader they may use to improve the eCS included one.

The solution for me was to add the switch to use only IRQ up to No. 15 (I guess it was /vw ). Therefore I have one clone "with" the /VW switch and one without, and one with OS4 Loader and one not.... :-)
Hope this helps.

What did help in some cases was to replace the eCS Loader with the OS/4 Loader - but you have to replace the kernel back to 104smp as well, that might cause new problems (in my case it turned out to be stable and worked - and the best of it - it does not have or show the "memory gap" at 512 MB - please see other of my threads for this)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 07:56:57 am by Sigurd Fastenrath »

walking_x

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2013, 08:10:35 am »
The solution for me was to add the switch to use only IRQ up to No. 15 (I guess it was /vw ). Therefore I have one clone "with" the /VW switch and one without, and one with OS4 Loader and one not.... :-)
You can remove at least one clone by using CFGEXT=EXT key of OS4 Loader ;)
It allow to load CONFIG.EXT instead of CONFIG.SYS and works with IBM kernels too.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2013, 03:26:37 pm »
Which model of X-series?  I run one old one that has SCSI drives but another slightly newer one (still rather old) will not work with SAS drives.  I haven't got one with actual SATA drives to test.

This is the x 3200  M3, so it has SAS. You can plug a SATA drive into the SAS slot. The machine is fine with it, and the drive appears in other OS. The SATA controller is the Intel PCH, which is supported, but support fails because of the above message. I know nothing about SAS, and I was surprised to see SATA connectors. Here is the PCI dump for the controller.

0000:01:00.0 SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS1064E PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS (rev 08)
   Subsystem: IBM Unknown device 03bb
   Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
   I/O ports at 4000
   Memory at 92210000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
   Memory at 92200000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
   Expansion ROM at ffe00000 [disabled]
   Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
   Capabilities: [68] Express Endpoint IRQ 0
   Capabilities: [98] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable-
   Capabilities: [b0] MSI-X: Enable- Mask- TabSize=1

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2013, 05:59:04 pm »
This is the x 3200  M3, so it has SAS. You can plug a SATA drive into the SAS slot. The machine is fine with it, and the drive appears in other OS. The SATA controller is the Intel PCH, which is supported, but support fails because of the above message. I know nothing about SAS, and I was surprised to see SATA connectors. Here is the PCI dump for the controller.

0000:01:00.0 SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS1064E PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS (rev 08)
SAS controller... I've worked off and on with trying to get the SAS drives in an X3650 to work.  My understanding is that SATA drives will work with a SAS controller because SATA is a subset of SAS.  I have gotten to where the eCS installer's drive check utility will see a drive (though not everything that is defined in the RAID BIOS) but no partition/lvm information and it has been unsuccessful in fixing the problem when told to do so.