Author Topic: usb boot arca502 problem disk full  (Read 9613 times)

roberto

• View Profile
usb boot arca502 problem disk full
« on: February 24, 2018, 01:53:59 pm »
Is this problem known ?, and does it have any solution?
saludos

Rene Hvidsoe

• View Profile
Re: usb boot arca502 problem disk full
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 03:00:34 pm »
Hi Roberto,

I have tried procedure to make a USB stick with ArcaOS 5.02 and here it works. Does the same stick works if you as example make a DFSEE bootable stick ?

Have you tried to make chkdsk on the stick , if there is errors ?

I have used the guidelines from the AOSBOOT folder on the installmedia.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 04:44:35 pm »
I have used the guidelines from the AOSBOOT folder on the installmedia.
Thanks, my error.
I did not know this readme with its utulity in cmd.

I have used the method described in the readusb.txt.
My mistake was that I copied the iso to the root of the usb stick, I did not put it inside the folder ARCA_ISO
It's already working, perfect.
Saludos

Martin Vieregg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 09:46:04 pm »
I also ran in this problem. You can place small additional data to the 2 GB formatted USB stick like a DFSEE program directory, but after copying a data storage zip file with 200 MB, I got this error message. That means, the USB stick must have at least ca 600 MB free disk space, because it is temporary used while installation.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 07:41:10 am »
You can also create if the usb stick allows it by size, create a second fat32 partition, where to put the tools. This works very well.
saludos

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 07:57:37 am »
You can also create if the usb stick allows it by size, create a second fat32 partition, where to put the tools. This works very well.

It works much better, if you use HPFS, or JFS, instead of FAT32. Just be sure that the MBR does not get rewritten, or it probably won't boot. Also, be aware, that rebuilding the installer might wipe the whole stick, depending on how you do it, so don't expect the contents to be there after you do that. It is a bonus if it does remain.

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 10:38:07 pm »
I also ran in this problem. You can place small additional data to the 2 GB formatted USB stick like a DFSEE program directory, but after copying a data storage zip file with 200 MB, I got this error message. That means, the USB stick must have at least ca 600 MB free disk space, because it is temporary used while installation.

I'm afraid this is incorrect.

Memboot transfers the contents of the USB drive's _root_ directory to a 64mb RAM disk. With the installer up and running, about 25mb of free space remain on the RAM disk (Z:).

If you put your 200mb zip file in the USB drive's root directory, you will certainly run out of space on the RAM drive when Memboot tries to copy the file. However, if you put this file in a subdirectory, Memboot will ignore it and the file will available via whatever drive letter LVM assigns to your USB drive.

Note: this is identical to the way the ISO file is handled - it's in a subdirectory, so Memboot ignores it.

Martin Vieregg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 09:54:39 pm »
And what is the reason that the USB stick boot partion needs to be FAT32 ? Because the BIOS requires it?

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 11:04:15 pm »
Formatting it as fat32, is for compatibility with freedos, airboot is also in DOS format. Dfsee also has a DOS version. But as Doug says, it's a matter of personal preferences. And it is also compatible with Arca.
Also the current Bios, can read the updates directly from the usb stick.
saludos

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 01:20:13 am »
Formatting it as fat32, is for compatibility with freedos, airboot is also in DOS format. Dfsee also has a DOS version. But as Doug says, it's a matter of personal preferences. And it is also compatible with Arca.
Also the current Bios, can read the updates directly from the usb stick.
saludos

I fail to see what you are trying to do. FreeDOS has nothing, at all to do with any of the other things that you mention (although there is a FreeeDOS version of DFSEE, which you probably do NOT want to use). Airboot does not need FAT32, and it is not a DOS program,  Everything, that will be useful, is for OS/2, so use an OS/2 file system, then you can use it by booting to the ArcaOS installer, and use the System Management function. If you want to keep other things on the stick, do so at your own risk. It may be deleted when you rebuild the stick with a new version of ArcaOS.

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 08:07:14 am »
And what is the reason that the USB stick boot partion needs to be FAT32 ? Because the BIOS requires it?

The USB drive needs to be formatted FAT, not FAT32, because Memboot doesn't understand any other file system.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2018, 10:09:56 am »
Thanks Rich Walsh, it seems that you are the only one who knows what he says.
The partition Boot, has to be fat16 with 2gb maximum.
The Second partition if you want or can do it can be what you want, fat32, jfs, you decide.
Updating the boot stick is as simple as deleting the old iso and copying another new iso into your folder.
The tools I mention exist and are necessary to modify the new hard drives. Arca can not. But see if you can with the freedos. Airboot 114, has files in DOS, in win and in os2
saludos

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2018, 04:53:54 pm »
Updating the boot stick is as simple as deleting the old iso and copying another new iso into your folder.

No it isn't. If you do that, you will miss any updates to the rest stuff that is in the root of the boot drive.

Please don't make assumptions. Just follow the directions, and do NOT assume that  any other contents on the stick will survive an update. It depends on exactly what gets updated, and how you do it.

The tools I mention exist and are necessary to modify the new hard drives. Arca can not

Yes it can. Again do NOT make assumptions. READ the documentation, and get the job done right. All of the tools that you need, are part of the installer. You just need to learn how to use them. You do that by READING the documentation.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2018, 09:04:29 pm »
No it isn't. If you do that, you will miss any updates to the rest stuff that is in the root of the boot drive.

Please don't make assumptions. Just follow the directions, and do NOT assume that  any other contents on the stick will survive an update. It depends on exactly what gets updated, and how you do it.
I keep the idea, for the future. But for now it has worked well for me.
Yes it can. Again do NOT make assumptions. READ the documentation, and get the job done right. All of the tools that you need, are part of the installer. You just need to learn how to use them. You do that by READING the documentation.
Well, if I look for GPT in the aid, what I get is:
"An unsupported partitioning scheme is in use on ..."
If you tell me where to look for it in the readmes, I thank you
saludos

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2018, 06:24:10 am »
Well, if I look for GPT in the aid, what I get is:
"An unsupported partitioning scheme is in use on ..."
If you tell me where to look for it in the readmes, I thank you

In README.TXT (root of the DVD):

5.1.2  GPT disk partitioning schemes not supported

ArcaOS cannot access volumes created using a GPT partitioning scheme, and
requires a traditional MBR (Master Boot Record). Please ensure that your drives
are properly partitioned in this manner or that you are using a fresh drive for
installation, with no preexisting partitions.

This may not be quite as clear as it could be. It basically says "change the disk from GPT to MBR, then install ArcaOS". To do that, you need to back up whatever is on it, using a backup method that will allow you to restore to a MBR disk. Then boot to the ArcaOS installer, select System Management-> Disk-> Disk Utility. It will scan the disk, and tell you what it finds wrong. It should say something about GPT not being usable. One of the menu items in Disk Utility is to wipe a disk. use that (Disk-> Wipe disk information-> All disk information), and it will have you reboot. Now, run Disk Utility again, to add the basic LVM support, and then you follow the instructions for an empty (new) disk, to build appropriate volumes, using the Manage Volumes (Graphical) menu option (miniLVM). You also add Air Boot. Note, that if you do this while booted to anything other than OS/2, it will probably do it wrong. The other option, is to replace the disk with a new one (which may need the same treatment, but you will still have the original disk to fall back on).

GPT support is on the "todo" list, but it is not anywhere near the top of the list, so I wouldn't plan on waiting.

If it makes you feel better, Disk Utility is a custom version of DFSEE, designed to do exactly what needs to be done to install ArcaOS. Unfortunately, you are on your own if you wish to keep whatever might be on the disk before you start.