Author Topic: ArcaOS 5.0.1: Stuck in "IFX is examining and cleaning your INI files..."  (Read 4316 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Hi

I emptied the thrash can and it had a lot of stuff there (icons, images, programs, etc). On the next boot of the ArcaOS 5.0.1 VM it just get stuck on "IFX is examining and cleaning your INI files...". It is just stays there for hours and don't move (I tried 2 hours before rebooting)

If I boot with Alt+F4 and remove ifx.exe from the boot process everything works normal.

Is there any ideas to make IFX.EXE to work back?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Pete

• View Profile
Re: ArcaOS 5.0.1: Stuck in "IFX is examining and cleaning your INI files..."
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 04:08:37 pm »
Hi Martin

I think I would run checkini  followed by cleanini and see if that resolves the problem.

Regards

Pete

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 05:36:11 pm »
If booting with IFX still hangs, please try something for me...
with ifx in the config.sys, please start the boot process and when it gets to the point that you see chkdsk kicking off, hit Ctrl-Alt-Del which should kick off a reboot and then let it just go through the boot process and see if it still hangs at ifx.
I've seen it stopped where the last line was that IFX was running and the above got past it, in my case I do not think it was ifx that was the culprit but this test may let us know if we are seeing related issues or not.

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 07:50:18 pm »
For your future reference:

If you press and hold Shift as soon as IFX starts running, it will display a recovery screen. Your options are to continue (which aborts IFX) or to restore any of the last 3 good copies of os2.ini and os2sys.ini that IFX has saved. (Note: you can probably press and hold Shift at any time after JFS chkdsk runs to get the recovery screen - you don't have to wait until the last second).

For your current problem:

After you've booted successfully, please go to x:\sys\apps\ifx. You'll find 4 log files there (ifx.log, ifx1.log, ifx2.log, and ifx3.log). Please zip them and either send them to me or post them here. One of them should identify where the hang occurred (provided you haven't rebooted more than 3 times since then).

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 03:52:52 pm »
Hi

Thanks for the feedback. I broke everything trying to fix it, but using tip Rich (using shift on boot) I was able to get back the system selecting an older archive.

I'm attaching the log in case there is something usefull there.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.