Author Topic: How to find or extract a Postscript printer driver?  (Read 41945 times)

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
Re: How to find or extract a Postscript printer driver?
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2018, 02:51:38 am »
Not knowing that the installed version from ArcaOS5 was newer, I think that I've overwritten it with the one from your web site in the several locations that it's in.  Is it possible to just install the printer drivers from the CD?  I've deleted and reinstalled printers with both prndrv and with Print Manager and can't seem to get a working printer.

OK, first let's make sure you're back at PSPRINT version 30.906. 
  • Find the file \CID\SERVER\PRINTPAK\PSPRINT.ZIP on the ArcaOS DVD.  Unzip it to a temporary directory somewhere.
  • Go into the Printer Manager.  From the menubar, choose File -> Manage presentation drivers.
  • Scroll down and select PSPRINT.DRV (it will probably be the last one on the list).
  • Select the "Add/Update" button. From the file dialog that comes up, go to the temporary directory from step 1 and select PSPRINT.DRV.
  • If prompted to update the version used by existing printers, say Yes (although I recommend you delete all printers and recreate them, as I posted earlier).

Once done, you can delete the temporary directory you unzipped PSPRINT.ZIP into.

Is it possible to update the installed version of hplip?  That has a driver for the OfficeJet Pro 8740 that works pretty well in Linux.

I'm not sure what the latest OS/2 build is, but you can probably find it via yum or ANPM...

(OTOH, manually updating HPLIP is not something I'd recommend unless you're very familiar with CUPS.)

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2018, 03:03:12 am »
Hi Michael

You should find psprint bits here [dvd]:\CID\SERVER\PRINTPAK\PSPRINT.ZIP

I suggest you try the following
1] Delete any existing printer objects and queues
2] Open a command line in [BootDrive]:\sys\install\PRNDRV\PMDD_6 and use DEL * to clear the directory - you will have problems trying to delete a .DRV file using the Desktop
3] Open a command line in [BootDrive]:\OS2\DLL\psprint\psprint.drv and use DEL * to clear the directory
4] Unzip [dvd]:\CID\SERVER\PRINTPAK\PSPRINT.ZIP into the [BootDrive]:\sys\install\PRNDRV\PMDD_6 directory
5] Use Computer -> Printers -> Install Printer to create a new printer

The Arca Noae Package Manager should show any hplip updates - you may want to install the netlabs-exp repository as that shows v3.17.11-1 available but be aware that the "exp" probably means experimental.

Regards

Pete

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2018, 03:38:58 am »
The Arca Noae Package Manager should show any hplip updates - you may want to install the netlabs-exp repository as that shows v3.17.11-1 available but be aware that the "exp" probably means experimental.

It does. Be careful installing stuff from exp, you can break your system. In this case just install v3.17.11-1 and any dependencies it needs, if any.

Mike Snyder

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2018, 03:24:48 pm »
I've followed the above instructions.  I can create CUPS printers for both my Lexmark e260dn and my HP OfficeJet Pro 8740 from the web interface that print the test pages.  But I cannot create an OS/2 printer object for either of them using Print Manager or the Create Printer object.  The failure happens after I press the Create button at the end of the process.

I read on the Arca Noae web site that we're about to get some new printing system that works better with both postscript and CUPS printers.  Is that likely to make it possible for me to print with my printers again?

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2018, 07:43:45 pm »
Hi Michael

Are any previous printers/queues using the same name(s) totally deleted? - use prndrv.exe to check for and delete any that remain  http://www.os2site.com/sw/comm/faxworks/prndrv.exe

I have sometimes found it necessary to reboot after deleting printers/queues.

It may be an idea to post all the steps taken in your attempt to create a printer - maybe someone will spot a missing/wrong step...

Regards

Pete

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2018, 08:39:11 pm »
Hi Michael

You should find psprint bits here [dvd]:\CID\SERVER\PRINTPAK\PSPRINT.ZIP

I suggest you try the following
1] Delete any existing printer objects and queues
2] Open a command line in [BootDrive]:\sys\install\PRNDRV\PMDD_6 and use DEL * to clear the directory - you will have problems trying to delete a .DRV file using the Desktop
Just call attention to delete this folder ?:\Os2\dll\psprint have two options
a) Start with alt + F1 when the OS / 2 icon appears in your left window and then F2
b) Boot the system from the DVD and use the system maintenance and open a comamdcom
3] Open a command line in [BootDrive]:\OS2\DLL\psprint\psprint.drv and use DEL * to clear the directory
4] Unzip [dvd]:\CID\SERVER\PRINTPAK\PSPRINT.ZIP into the [BootDrive]:\sys\install\PRNDRV\PMDD_6 directory
5] Use Computer -> Printers -> Install Printer to create a new printer

Regards

Pete

Mike Snyder

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2018, 03:12:22 am »
Pete,

I've deleted the printers and print queues with both prndrv and with PM Printer Manager 0.61.  They both get rid of them.  Then I've used Printer Manager to create a printer.  Select Printers tab, Select Create a CUPS printer.  Select HP.  Select OfficeJet Pro 8740.  Selected the detected printer on 192.168.101.96, its correct address.  Fill out the Printer Object name screen.  On the Create screen, psprint is selected as the driver and the rest of the information is as I put in on the previous screen.  Click Create.  Error says see g:\var\log\cupswizl1.  Log follows:

--[ 19 March 2018 21:59:23 ]---------------------------------------------------
Starting printer install with user-provided PPD:
 - PPD file:    I:\DRIVERS\PRINTERS\OfficeJet_Pro_8740\hp-officejet_pro_8740-ps.ppd
 - Model name:  HP OfficeJet Pro 8740

Driver ECUPS is not in the local repository.
Driver ECUPS-HP is not in the local repository.
No local printer, creating remote CUPS printer
Creating CUPS printer using:
    lpadmin -p OJP_8740_Ltr -E -D "HP OfficeJet Pro 8740" -L "dad's office" -v "socket://192.168.101.96:9100" -P "I:\DRIVERS\PRINTERS\OfficeJet_Pro_8740\hp-officejet_pro_8740-ps.ppd" -o media=Letter
Return code: 0x0000

Creating OS/2 printer object:
Mode:   2
Driver: PSPRINT
Model:  HP OfficeJet Pro 8740
Importing user-supplied PPD I:\DRIVERS\PRINTERS\OfficeJet_Pro_8740\hp-officejet_pro_8740-ps.ppd
Going to import PPD file into driver PSPRINT.
Converting PPD with: J:\var\temp\PPD_7377\PPDENC.EXE I:\DRIVERS\PRINTERS\OFFICEJET_PRO_8740\HP-OFFICEJET_PRO_8740-PS.PPD G:\SYS\INSTALL\PRNDRV\PPD_PS\HP-OFFICEJET_PRO_8740-PS.PPD
Doing cleanup on G:\SYS\INSTALL\PRNDRV\PPD_PS\HP-OFFICEJET_PRO_8740-PS.PPD ...OK

Updating G:\OS2\install\prdesc.lst with 12 new entries ...
No drivers found in PSPRINT (missing .EXPAND extended attribute?)
Copying files from J:\var\temp\PPD_7377\OUT to G:\SYS\INSTALL\PRNDRV\PMDD_6
12 printers imported successfully.
 -> Lexmark E260dn
 -> HP OfficeJet Pro 8740
 -> HP OfficeJet Pro 8740
 -> HP Universal Printing PS
 -> HP Officejet Pro 6230
 -> HP Officejet Pro 6230 hpijs
 -> HP Officejet Pro 6230
 -> HP Officejet Pro 6230
 -> HP Officejet Pro 8720
 -> HP Officejet Pro 6230
 -> HP Officejet Pro 6230
 -> HP Officejet Pro 6230

Creating new port CUPS3
InstallPrintDriver( PSPRINT, G:\SYS\INSTALL\PRNDRV\PMDD_6\PSPRINT.DRV, HP OfficeJet Pro 8740 ) RC = 0
Creating new printer: HP OfficeJet Pro 8740 (HPOFFICE)
CreatePrinterObject( PSPRINT, HP OfficeJet Pro 8740, CUPS3, HPOFFICE, HP OfficeJet Pro 8740 ) RC = 0

However, when I attempt to print two lines of text from e.exe to the created printer, both lines are printed on the same line of the paper.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2018, 08:11:37 am »
However, when I attempt to print two lines of text from e.exe to the created printer, both lines are printed on the same line of the paper.
The e.exe fail to print. Use other editor epm.exe
saludos

Mike Snyder

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2018, 01:22:23 pm »
Thanks to all who provided advice.  I finally succeeded in creating two CUPS printers that print.  The Lexmark .ppd file that previously imported correctly and worked would not import into pscript or psprint.  The postscript driver from Linux for the OJP 8740 would import but not print properly.  When I decided to use CUPS, the Lexmark .ppd imports and prints.  I had to select a less-capable HP printer to get one that was similar and works in CUPS, but they at least print.

The reason for wanting a postscript driver that worked is that it allows one to select any of the features, such as multiple trays, that a printer has.  My experience with CUPS is that unless you create printers with defaults for each form size that you print, you will get a forms mismatch and failure to print when you want to print an envelope, for example.  If I'm doing this wrong, please explain how to do it correctly.

Thanks again for the help.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2018, 02:44:13 pm »
Hi All

The reason for wanting a postscript driver that worked is that it allows one to select any of the features, such as multiple trays, that a printer has.  My experience with CUPS is that unless you create printers with defaults for each form size that you print, you will get a forms mismatch and failure to print when you want to print an envelope, for example.  If I'm doing this wrong, please explain how to do it correctly.

I have to say that the above is my current experience with cups for os/2.

Creating several printers in order to use different size paper from different trays indicates that cups has problem(s) that need resolving but whether the problem(s) is(are) within the ppd file(s) used or cups itself or the os/2 printer creation I do not know.

Regards

Pete

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2018, 04:15:17 pm »
Pete, you are one up on me.  I have never got a networked printer to print with cups on OS/2.  While at work we used postscript printers that were included with the pscript driver for both our own use and that of clients.

That being said I must also say that importing a ppd into either the pscript or psprint driver has always worked - provided that the ppd has been cleaned (prepared for os/2 use).

Now I have to work out how to scan from my Brother DCP-9020cdw all in one using something like Tame, again over a network.

Michael, I find it strange that you couldn't import the ppd files and am wondering if you missed something in the cleaning stage.

Could you post both ppd files for me to have a look at?  Since I retired and learned about importing ppd files into both pscript and psprint drivers I have updated my old clients printers without any problems after I learned that it was essential to prepare the ppds first.  The new printers are both local and networked.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2018, 06:14:27 pm »
Hi Michael

I seem to recall something about this in the ecups newsgroup but cannot find it on a quick search.

It is possible that the CUPS printer port software is not "in sync" with the installed cups software which is easily checked.

Is \TCPIP\bin\cupslpr.exe exactly the same size and date:time as \usr\bin\lpr.exe ?
If "No" then follow these steps:-
  1] Copy \TCPIP\bin\cupslpr.exe \TCPIP\bin\cupslpr.exe.OLD
  2] Delete \TCPIP\bin\cupslpr.exe
  3] Copy \usr\bin\lpr.exe  \TCPIP\bin\cupslpr.exe

It is also possible that something is not up to date in supporting software so suggest you run ANPM and check for any updates that may be applicable.

Did you get the hp-officejet_pro_8740-ps.ppd file from a hplip package?

Regards

Pete

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2018, 08:51:56 pm »

Arg.  I know I remember this, and I know I spent a long time trying in vain to solve it... I just can't remember when it was, or find my notes on it, just now.

From what I remember, that only occurs when doing a direct ASCII print (such as from the old E editor) when the printer object has a TrueType font set as the default text font.

Go the the "Text Format" page of the printer object properties, and change the font to a Type 1 font like "Courier". 

My best guess is that the vertical font metrics are somehow being lost when rendering ASCII with a TrueType font, but I never figured out where or how that was happening.  (It doesn't happen if the font is rasterized, but of course then you lose the advantages of font downloading.)

Mike Snyder

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2018, 03:42:45 am »
Ivan,

The lexmark .ppd file imported fine into psprint before I started this recent adventure.  I'll post three files.  One is the .ppd for the e260dn, the second one is the HP OJP 8740 .ppd that I copied from a CUPS installation on Linux, and the third is the one that I copied from an installation of the HP OfficeJet Pro 8740 on Windows 7.  It's what HP calls their universal postscript driver.

Mike Snyder

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2018, 03:54:49 am »
Pete,

lpr.exe is 18 months newer and 12 bytes larger than cupslpr.exe.  However, I can print from CUPS.  It's pscript and psprint that I can't get to import the .ppds or print.

Yes, that .ppd is from Linux after I installed the latest hplip.