OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Setup & Installation

Installing ArcaOS on a Ryzen or A12 based computer

(1/6) > >>

ivan:
I am trying to get ArcaOS to install on a Ryzen based computer.  Yes, I know we don't have the usb 3 drivers yet but there are enough usb 2 ports for what I need.

So far all I can get to is the splash screen after the initial selection of keyboard etc. and it hangs there forever. 

If I use a disk with a working ArcaOS install on it it starts to boot but then hangs with os2aspi showing (altf2on.$$$ in boot partition).

I remember someone said they had managed to do it but there were very few details given. I that person, or anyone else that has managed to get ArcaOS / OS/2 running on a Ryzen or A12 APU could post the details it would be most appreciated. Even suggestions to try to get past the hangs will be tried and reported on.

Roderick Klein:
Are you using ArcaOS 5.02 ? Just asking so we know what version of ACPI you are using.
I recently had a system where ArcaOS 5.02 would boot on duo to the fixes to OS2AHCI and MSI IRQ support.
Other versions of ArcaOS would run into trouble duo to these missing fixes.

I was not that person that has that AMD  cpu. That ArcaOS hangs on the ASPI driver is I think is a sign loading the BASEDEV drivers is not working correctly. If you would rem out the os2aspi driver, chances are big ArcaOS will hang on another BASEDEV driver. In other words something is failing. You could try and rem the driver but the boot will most likely hang on something else.

ivan:
Hi Roderick,

The hard disk I used for the test was from an ArcaOS 5.02 install on an AMD 3850 APU on an ASRock AM1H-ITX motherboard. 
What I am trying to install on is a Ryzen 5 1600 on a Biostar X370GTN ITX motherboard and an AMD A10-9700 APU again on a Biostar X370GTN ITX board (I have a 'thing' about using ITX boards in small cases).

I did try remming out the driver and as you say it hangs a little later - thank goodness for SATA to USB adapters, they make editing systems on disks easy.

Roderick Klein:
You can try the following things.

So you are booting from hard disc.

1.Try booting with /maxcpu=1 begind ACPI.PSD.

2. You can also try /VW and as a very last resort /PIC behind ACPI.PSD.
A very big note of caution to people. These last two switches on modern hardware will be less and less successful!
Since the proper wiring on the mainboards is simply being left out, is partly there or its not being tested by mainboard manufacturers.

OS4User:

--- Quote from: ivan on March 04, 2018, 01:10:15 pm ---I remember someone said they had managed to do it but there were very few details given. I that person, or anyone else that has managed to get ArcaOS / OS/2 running on a Ryzen or A12 APU could post the details it would be most appreciated

--- End quote ---

https://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php/topic,1581.msg15660.html#msg15660

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version