Author Topic: Installing ArcaOS on a Ryzen or A12 based computer  (Read 15769 times)

ivan

• View Profile
Installing ArcaOS on a Ryzen or A12 based computer
« on: March 04, 2018, 01:10:15 pm »
I am trying to get ArcaOS to install on a Ryzen based computer.  Yes, I know we don't have the usb 3 drivers yet but there are enough usb 2 ports for what I need.

So far all I can get to is the splash screen after the initial selection of keyboard etc. and it hangs there forever. 

If I use a disk with a working ArcaOS install on it it starts to boot but then hangs with os2aspi showing (altf2on.$$$ in boot partition).

I remember someone said they had managed to do it but there were very few details given. I that person, or anyone else that has managed to get ArcaOS / OS/2 running on a Ryzen or A12 APU could post the details it would be most appreciated. Even suggestions to try to get past the hangs will be tried and reported on.

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
Re: Installing ArcaOS on a Ryzen or A12 based computer
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 01:26:05 pm »
Are you using ArcaOS 5.02 ? Just asking so we know what version of ACPI you are using.
I recently had a system where ArcaOS 5.02 would boot on duo to the fixes to OS2AHCI and MSI IRQ support.
Other versions of ArcaOS would run into trouble duo to these missing fixes.

I was not that person that has that AMD  cpu. That ArcaOS hangs on the ASPI driver is I think is a sign loading the BASEDEV drivers is not working correctly. If you would rem out the os2aspi driver, chances are big ArcaOS will hang on another BASEDEV driver. In other words something is failing. You could try and rem the driver but the boot will most likely hang on something else.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 04:18:05 pm »
Hi Roderick,

The hard disk I used for the test was from an ArcaOS 5.02 install on an AMD 3850 APU on an ASRock AM1H-ITX motherboard. 
What I am trying to install on is a Ryzen 5 1600 on a Biostar X370GTN ITX motherboard and an AMD A10-9700 APU again on a Biostar X370GTN ITX board (I have a 'thing' about using ITX boards in small cases).

I did try remming out the driver and as you say it hangs a little later - thank goodness for SATA to USB adapters, they make editing systems on disks easy.

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 04:54:03 pm »
You can try the following things.

So you are booting from hard disc.

1.Try booting with /maxcpu=1 begind ACPI.PSD.

2. You can also try /VW and as a very last resort /PIC behind ACPI.PSD.
A very big note of caution to people. These last two switches on modern hardware will be less and less successful!
Since the proper wiring on the mainboards is simply being left out, is partly there or its not being tested by mainboard manufacturers.

OS4User

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 05:54:03 pm »
I remember someone said they had managed to do it but there were very few details given. I that person, or anyone else that has managed to get ArcaOS / OS/2 running on a Ryzen or A12 APU could post the details it would be most appreciated

https://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php/topic,1581.msg15660.html#msg15660

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 06:45:58 pm »
Thank you OS4User, that was what I remembered but couldn't find again.

Also thanks Roderick.

Testing starts tomorrow.

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 09:39:49 pm »
I you want it fixed I suggest you open a ticket at Arca Noae,

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 05:13:35 am »
I would second Roderick's suggestion...narrow things down to a single active CPU, go from there.

Depending on some of the remaining hardware drivers you may be seeing a lock early on (display showing stuff) but the root cause maybe something else.

As I experimented with getting SMP installed on my AMD Phenom II X6 I found that running more than 5 cores would result in the WPS blue-screen hang, but that was a somewhat well known issue with SNAP video drivers not being quite SMP ready.

For my part I am very curious how you work through this issue, please continue to post updates. The Ryzen CPU is my next upgrade, probably Ryzen2 actually, still some time left.

Jochen Schäfer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 03:22:53 pm »
I you want it fixed I suggest you open a ticket at Arca Noae,
Which had me heading into a massive CATCH-22, because when I had the issue on a laptop, I had no access to mass storage whatsoever  (and no network), so I couldn't save the ACPI log.
This is obviously not the fault of Arcanoae, but be prepared that the ticket could be leading nowhere, if you don't have the means to offload the log file.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 06:46:44 pm »
At the moment I haven't yet been able to get it to boot let alone produce a log file.

I will also admit I'm dot doing the testing full time as there are other things that are more urgent but I do have everything setup to make changing disks easy.  The more I look at it the more I am thinking the brand of the motherboard has a lot to do with success or failure (remember I am using Mini ITX boards and there isn't a wide range available).

Jochen Schäfer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2018, 10:08:12 am »
I could boot the laptop up, but it took a really long time. You should definitely skip the disk test.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2018, 07:52:29 pm »
You should definitely skip the disk test.

No, you shouldn't.

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2018, 12:01:37 am »
I could boot the laptop up, but it took a really long time. You should definitely skip the disk test.

You mean the disc utility ?

I know what the disc utility does and its in general a **wrong** advise to skip the disc utility in the ArcaOS installation. It fixes things the LVM from IBM can fall over (fail). If you disable the disc utility be prepared for more issue's...
If you look in the helpfile of the disc util its clear it does a whole lot of stuff that is pretty useful.

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2018, 07:58:39 am »

No, you shouldn't.

From my experience it is the best one can do on modern Hardware to check the box "skip the disk check" in the "Pre Boot Menue". It is better to use the Disc Tools once you passed the first stage of booting.

Yes - this is my experience and Yes, I do speak for myself  :D :D :D :D

Jochen Schäfer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2018, 09:29:48 am »

No, you shouldn't.
If I have no access to the disks anyway, then, no, I don't need it.
My advice was by no means an general advice, just for the problem, discussed here.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 09:31:24 am by Jochen Schäfer »