Author Topic: Installing ArcaOS on a Ryzen or A12 based computer  (Read 15782 times)

ivan

• View Profile
Re: Installing ArcaOS on a Ryzen or A12 based computer
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2018, 10:09:05 am »
All of that is irrelevant when it won't even get to that point with the installer.

As I said, the initial dos selector works but after pressing f10 to move on all that happens is the ArcaOS splash screen appears and that is it (I left it like that when I went to do something else, 5 hours later it was still doing nothing).

I now have a boot partition image from a working AMD Sempron 3850 APU (the younger brother of the Ryzen) install on a new Seagate 1TB FireCuda disk that has been checked and tested (the boot partition is 2 GB HPFS, other partitions are for utilities, programs, data etc.).

The next thing is to edit the config.sys (the disk connected to main PC with a SATA/USB adapter) as outlined by Roderick earlier to see if it will boot or even produce ant log files that might give any indication what is happening.

I assume it is not a good idea to open a ticket saying 'it doesn't install or boot' without some logs to back it up.

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2018, 02:44:13 pm »
You should definitely skip the disk test.

No, you shouldn't.

From my experience it is the best one can do on modern Hardware to check the box "skip the disk check" in the "Pre Boot Menue". It is better to use the Disc Tools once you passed the first stage of booting.

Yes - this is my experience and Yes, I do speak for myself  :D :D :D :D

Just to be 100% clear the disc checker should never be bypassed. I am bit confused what you mean with using the disc tool after the first stage of booting Sigurd.  The disc util loads in the ArcaOS installer when you selected your installer type. If you know what you are doing then disabling the disc checker can be an option. But in most cases disabling it will not help the user as minilvm will then run into an issue.

The disc utility does nothing at disc controller level. It only scans the hard discs for LVM information.

Roderick

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2018, 06:04:28 pm »
All of that is irrelevant when it won't even get to that point with the installer.

As I said, the initial dos selector works but after pressing f10 to move on all that happens is the ArcaOS splash screen appears and that is it (I left it like that when I went to do something else, 5 hours later it was still doing nothing).

I now have a boot partition image from a working AMD Sempron 3850 APU (the younger brother of the Ryzen) install on a new Seagate 1TB FireCuda disk that has been checked and tested (the boot partition is 2 GB HPFS, other partitions are for utilities, programs, data etc.).

The next thing is to edit the config.sys (the disk connected to main PC with a SATA/USB adapter) as outlined by Roderick earlier to see if it will boot or even produce ant log files that might give any indication what is happening.

I assume it is not a good idea to open a ticket saying 'it doesn't install or boot' without some logs to back it up.

The fact that the preboot menu works before the ArcaOS splash screen is loaded makes perfect sense. That is real mode BIOS code that gets executed. Its not OS/2 loading even...

Everybody in this forum can tell an OS/2 user if OS/2 does not continue loading at startup after 3 to 5 minutes.
Hit CTRL ALT F10 twice. System then hangs ? Your toast you do not have to wait 5 hours, with every second that passes after 5 minutes is most likely a waste of your time. And if you get a booting at all it will most likely be completely useable anyway !

Did try to boot without ArcaOS Ivan without ACPI loaded ?

Ivan another very important question what version of ArcaOS are you loading ? I know ArcaOS 5.02 has more support for MSI interrupt. Pretty crucial for modern system.

Roderick

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2018, 07:36:08 pm »
Hi Roderick,

The 5 hours was because I had to go out and I just left it running - that can happen when you have someone pounding on the door in a panic situation.

The version of ArcaOS that I was trying to install is 5.02 as is the install on the replacement disk.

The next tests will be with various settings for ACPI, including its complete removal.  I am even considering trying a disk with my standard CP2 and all fixes but with os2ahci added just to see what happens.

Another question that you appear to have more insight with.  Do you think it would be possible to get the os2ahci.add to work with the ASMedia ahci controller?  The os2ahci.add works very well with the AMD controller but has problems with the ASMedia controller (works in real mode, can read and boot from DVD but stops working the moment os2ahci takes over- the Linux ahci driver works with it without problems).

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2018, 09:14:59 pm »
Aaah oke about the 5 hours, in my Mensys years providing eCS support I had customers that would describe standing the systems for 5 hours hoping it would boot. Oke in this case you did not wait on purpose leaving your system for 5 ours.

MCP 2 is not going to work I will explain why:
You miss a whole truck load fixes in MCP2. I do not even know where to start. The OS2DASD driver for example is outdated. It boots with the _W4 kernel MCP 2 which the ACPI.PSD only supports in a very limited fashion.
https://www.arcanoae.com/arcaos-kernel-14-201-released/
I understood from David Azarewicz at Warpstock that you should either use OS/2 kernel 14.105 or the ArcaOS SMP 14.201 kernel. The SMP kernel has much further reaching  PSD support then the _W4 kernel.
Or are you going to use MCP with an SMP kernel ? Changes are you will get a trap in the OEM handler without ACPI.

Did you put a ticket in at Arca Noae ? Somehow it seems the OS2AHCI has difficulty talking to the controller.
That is why your hanging most likely  at the splash screen.

Roderick
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 09:23:45 pm by Roderick Klein »

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2018, 12:05:43 am »

No, you shouldn't.

From my experience it is the best one can do on modern Hardware to check the box "skip the disk check" in the "Pre Boot Menue". It is better to use the Disc Tools once you passed the first stage of booting.

Just to be 100% clear the disc checker should never be bypassed. I am bit confused what you mean with using the disc tool after the first stage of booting Sigurd.  The disc util loads in the ArcaOS installer when you selected your installer type. If you know what you are doing then disabling the disc checker can be an option. But in most cases disabling it will not help the user as minilvm will then run into an issue.

The disc utility does nothing at disc controller level. It only scans the hard discs for LVM information.

Roderick

It might Sound strange for you, but that is my experience. I would not have been able to install it (ecs, arcaos) several times on modern Hardware, if I would have done it your way. Mini LVM run into Problems when I selected this Option, and I remember eCS 2.0 Beta 6 (or was it 5 or the Silver realease or the first GA...) where this lead to a damaged HDD Layout.... I can not justify what EXACTLY happend, but I never had this Problems when I disabled this Feature.

It only scans the hard discs for LVM information.

This might be a possible thing: .. it may not find LVM Information, and that lead to.....

That reminds me to the time (in 2010) where you several times said that it was impossible to install eCS next to an existing, preloaded Windows 7 System, in the end I had to build this: http://ru.ecomstation.ru/showarticle.php?id=214 to proof my words and you wrong. This came to my mind once I read your "Just to be 100% clear.".....

Even though, as it seems it did/does not help here, so who cares.

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2018, 02:42:16 pm »

No, you shouldn't.

Roderick

It might Sound strange for you, but that is my experience. I would not have been able to install it (ecs, arcaos) several times on modern Hardware, if I would have done it your way. Mini LVM run into Problems when I selected this Option, and I remember eCS 2.0 Beta 6 (or was it 5 or the Silver realease or the first GA...) where this lead to a damaged HDD Layout.... I can not justify what EXACTLY happend, but I never had this Problems when I disabled this Feature.

It only scans the hard discs for LVM information.

This might be a possible thing: .. it may not find LVM Information, and that lead to.....

That reminds me to the time (in 2010) where you several times said that it was impossible to install eCS next to an existing, preloaded Windows 7 System, in the end I had to build this: http://ru.ecomstation.ru/showarticle.php?id=214 to proof my words and you wrong. This came to my mind once I read your "Just to be 100% clear.".....

Even though, as it seems it did/does not help here, so who cares.

I think I more or less remember here what might have happened

The disc utility is nothing special. In fact! it uses a special version of the OEM Dfsee engine from Jan van Wijk to perform its work.  There was a text mode version of the tool that contained a bug that would cause the hard disc to be wiped.  This was bug *not* in the OEM engine from Jan but in the text mode program that controlled the OEM engine.  That was in eCS 2.0 beta 5 or 6. That textmode disc checker is long gone.

The second issue was indirectly triggered by the disc util. The OEM engine was writing DLAT sectors away to wrong sectors. However be warned. This was *not* caused by the OEM engine. It was caused by a bug in the OS2AHCI driver with +512 GB disc geometry. This issue has long been fixed. This issue might have also been present in the DANIS506.add but I do not remember this for certain!

So far in bugtrackers I have not seen more reports popup about hard discs the content being destroyed.

Roderick

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2018, 03:04:55 pm »
The only reason for explaining this in more detail is I sometimes see being mentioned in forums "disable the disc checker" as it does not help people to trace the true cause of the error. Or fix the issue.

Here are some scenario's where the disc checker does work.
If you have a hard disc where one partition is created without LVM/minilvm it will not have LVM DLAT information.
Even if a partition does not have a drive letter assigned it will require a DLAT information. If this is not present LVM will back fire with a partition corrupt message. If you do not have a tool such as dfsee you are stuck.

If you have a hard disc between 512 GB and 2 TB in size and have an OS installed such as Windows it will guide you to make space in the proper way.

It can also detect if a partition is outside the boundaries of what OS/2 can handle in terms of disc geometry.
Is it perfect ? No its... I know of cases where it does detect certain disc layout errors...

Anyway that is what I remember of when Alex Taylor developed that tool. But that is some years ago...

Roderick

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2018, 03:12:21 pm »
Hi All

My simple rules regarding the disk checker:-

1] If the hard disk in use is known to work fine and already has all necessary partitions/volumes prepared there is no need to use the disk checker during installation.

2] If there are any doubts about the hard disk then the disk checker should be used during installation.

Regards

Pete

Martin Vieregg

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2018, 10:13:41 am »
I have managed now installing ArcaOS 5.0.2 on a AM4 board (with Bristol Ridge, but I think that makes no difference to Ryzen) from USB Stick. DVD failed, even with an additional SATA PCIe card.

The way to success is the following:
- I needed to buy a USB 2.0 PCIe card. (PCI USB 2.0 cards are cheaper, but my AM4 board has no PCI slots.)
- I needed to switch to "modern hardware, safe mode" in the ArcaOS Pre-Install Menu.

All drivers work fine; Panorama is installed, of course. At the moment, I can only use one processor, and I hope a future ACPI driver will solve the problem.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2018, 11:38:48 am »
That would explain why I have been unable to install ArcaOS on my Biostar X370GTN ITX board, the PCIe slot is needed for the graphics card.

The main part of the problem with the AM4 boards is the use of ASMedia chips for dedicated AHCI and some USB (I have discovered that AMD also use modified ASMedia designs in their support chipsets for Ryzen and A10 and A12 CPU/APU and until the ASMedia variant is incorporated into the ArcaOS OS2AHCI. we don't have much chance of using the Ryzen processor to the full.