Author Topic: File Open dialog not resizable?  (Read 9868 times)

Doug Clark

• View Profile
File Open dialog not resizable?
« on: March 06, 2018, 11:44:42 pm »
New install of AraOS 5.02. The Open File Dialog box is no longer resizable.

Is there a setting somewhere to allow it to be sized?

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
Re: File Open dialog not resizable?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 12:23:40 am »
Doug,
Sorry no idea, but I'm curious which part of AOS provides the modified dialogue window?

Is this by any chance the set of modules from the ECO-runtime series?

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 03:55:05 am »
Is this by any chance the set of modules from the ECO-runtime series?

It is the File Open Container. I hate the way it works (even though Arca Noae has fixed the worst problems with it), so I don't install it.

Eugene Gorbunoff

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 09:09:52 am »
1) File Open Container was developed in 2010, it is debugged and solid. It can be improved one more time (The list of tasks is defined. Waiting for financing)

2) File Open Container is activated by default in ArcaOS
and can be activated in eComStation 2.x http://en.os2.guru/projects/foc/?action=faq

3) The developers can use extra functions of FOC which simplify the development
http://en.os2.guru/toolkit
the runtime is installed by default in eCS and ArcaOS

4) not resizable window of FOC - seems that this application fixates the size. Major part of applications don't fixate the size of FOC.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 02:00:43 pm »
Hi Doug C.

It will be interesting to know on which applications FOC does not resize, or it is all of them.
I'm checking it on ArcaOS 5.0.1 and the FOC resize fine on "Open File" and "Save as.." on E.exe, firefox, Iconeditor.

Regards
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 02:15:51 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 04:38:03 pm »
Sorry guys - I guess I posted this issue too soon.  After Eugene's reply I checked other applications and it does resize with the other ones I checked.

Where it is not resizing is in LxPM  (the editor that comes with VisualAge C++  v 4) when run outside of the IDE .  And after checking, it resizing if you select File - Open from the menu, but does not resize if you click on the file open icon on the icon bar, although it does assume the last size it was last sized at when opened from the icon. And when you resize the FOC LxPM adds some widgets to the lower left corner of the dialog that overlays that portion of the dialog.  Thanks for the help guys.

You also answered what was going to be my next question: what the heck is FOC?  I saw the tab on the Workplace Shell object in xWorkplace setup folder and had no idea what it was.

I think it is an excellent addition to ArcOS and eComStation; kudos to the developer(s).

But there are times I wish I had xFile back - the file open dialog that had a button for each drive along the top and clicking that button brought that drives directories on the left. The issues for me with FOC are:

1) sometimes it takes a very long time for the hierarchy to build on the left side of the dialog and the dialog is basically frozen until that is done.
2) if I am looking for a file on a different drive than what I was working with previously, I have to scroll down (and perhaps collapse the previous drive/directories) to get to the drive I want.

On the other hand it is very complete and an easy to understand layout. And this layout/design is the only one that makes sense if you were to add access to network drives that aren't assigned drive letters.

Thanks again for the help - and thanks to the people that developed FOC.

Doug

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 06:15:49 pm »
Hi Eugene,

...2) File Open Container is activated by default in ArcaOS
and can be activated in eComStation 2.x http://en.os2.guru/projects/foc/?action=faq...

What about non eCS or AOS installs? In my case, a Warp 4.52 (CP2 over Warp4 + SMP) base OS?

I have the runtime installed (Win, Net & Base) but focdlg is nowhere to be found...is that a AOS thing maybe, or do I also need to install WPS, given that it contains the WPFolderEx class?

I like the functionality this offers, and as you use a lot of the FOD/FOC it certainly would make "life" easier!!!

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 07:42:49 pm »
Hi Doug

But there are times I wish I had xFile back

Some time ago I asked Michael Shillingford (xFile author) for it, but it seems that the source code is lost.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 09:25:31 am »
As I wrote here: https://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php/topic,1337.msg12644.html#msg12644 the Object Navigator taken from Object Desktop is a good choice as well. May be this can be made some kind of Open source? In Addition it gives the advantages to avoid all eco runtimes, that I do not Need for an up to date OS/2.

Eugene Gorbunoff

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 10:30:59 am »
yes, File Open Container seems more powerful and modern.

we have developed it for modern monitors, for modern file types. So it fits the needs of OS/2 users.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 10:34:41 am by Eugene Gorbunoff »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2018, 01:05:19 pm »
Hi Sigurd.

I tried to contact Brad Warde ll from Stardock to open source Object Desktop some years ago (2013), but I never got a reply. I think it is time to try again, I will see if he has some conditions, or at least if he can turn it AS IS freeware.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Ben

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2018, 01:17:48 am »
I'm using eCS 2.2 b2, (on two machines), and I like the look of the new FOC, but it does not work with all programs, has more than a few bugs, takes too long to load and has too few options with respect to X-File.

And since X-File works just fine still, I use it. It's ugly, but its functionality, speed and customization can't be beat!

Looks vs. performance and practicality; a no-brainer for me.

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2018, 07:28:34 am »
Hi Sigurd.

I tried to contact Brad Warde ll from Stardock to open source Object Desktop some years ago (2013), but I never got a reply. I think it is time to try again, I will see if he has some conditions, or at least if he can turn it AS IS freeware.

Regards

I also send Brad Wardell some emails over the years and a friend request on Linkedin is still pending.
So keep trying but I think you chances are slim you will get a response.

About Object Desktop one thing I do remember is that Stardock licensed some of the products from other vendors/developers. But its *years ago*. The point is that it might be difficult for Stardock to relicense or publish the source code.

Roderick

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2018, 10:09:48 pm »
I'm using eCS 2.2 b2, (on two machines), and I like the look of the new FOC, but it does not work with all programs, has more than a few bugs, takes too long to load and has too few options with respect to X-File.

And since X-File works just fine still, I use it. It's ugly, but its functionality, speed and customization can't be beat!

Looks vs. performance and practicality; a no-brainer for me.

If you are interested you should be able to get an updated FOC here:
ftp://ecosoft.5nets.ru/eCoRT/Base/
Its included in the eCo runtime.

Could you define with has
* To many bugs ? Such as system crashes ?
* Loads slowly ? (when you have network drives) I think they are no longer preloaded.

The new FOC has many bug fixes and has a exclude list for application that do not work with it.
Maybe you can share here if they new version better suits your needs if you want.

Roderick

Ben

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2018, 10:21:18 pm »
Thanks Roderick.

I am still cleaning up a rather nasty mess here, but I am interested in getting FOC to work. I will download the updated version and give it a go.

Preloading network drives was an issue. Being able to exclude programs like Unimaint, (and Firefox), was another, so you have my interest just with those two fixes.

I do not remember if FOC has this, but having a dropdown list of frequently used directories was a bit plus with X-file as well.

Gotta run. Will post more once I have a a look at the new-and-improved FOC.