Author Topic: 10% Fundraising for QT5 and new Browser  (Read 12201 times)

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
10% Fundraising for QT5 and new Browser
« on: March 12, 2018, 08:21:08 am »
Please read here my idea about a fundraising for QT5 and the Browser, I hope it may encourage other Individuals or User Groups or...

https://translate.google.de/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.os2.org%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ff%3D6%26t%3D1372&edit-text=

(Using Google Translator)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: 10% Fundraising for QT5 and new Browser
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 08:48:57 pm »
Hi Sigurd

I agree with your idea and encourage you to keep going !!

My wishlist on this topic will be to have more information from bww bitwise. I think it will motivate more the community to chip in if bitwise will announce the "kickstart" of the Qt5 port. For example if Roderick transfer the initial raised funds from OS2VOICE so Bitwise can start the port, and have periodically news about the progress and the missing funds to continue with the port. I think that more information from bitwise will motivate more people to support the project.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

ak120

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 01:54:41 pm »
There was no need for Qt5 in the last 5 1/2 years of it's existence. It's a huge amount for a temporary solution. QtWebKit will be removed from Qt6 next year. The preferred path for the Qt framework since 2015 is QtWebEngine which is based on Google's Chromium. So one question remains: Which new browser will use the outdated QtWebKit from 2013 in 2019?

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 02:31:45 pm »
There was no need for Qt5 in the last 5 1/2 years of it's existence. It's a huge amount for a temporary solution. QtWebKit will be removed from Qt6 next year. The preferred path for the Qt framework since 2015 is QtWebEngine which is based on Google's Chromium. So one question remains: Which new browser will use the outdated QtWebKit from 2013 in 2019?

Why are you bringing up QtWebKit?  BitWise is not on this forum; and elsewhere they've said they have not yet selected the browser framework. We need Qt first, and the selection of the browser framework should be done as late as possible.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

ak120

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 05:17:51 pm »
Why are you bringing up QtWebKit?  BitWise is not on this forum; and elsewhere they've said they have not yet selected the browser framework.
Sorry I just read from the referred chat protocol the following:
[11:21:39] <_diver> Yes as Qt5 has webkit.  And when this works a browser is a easy port

We need Qt first, and the selection of the browser framework should be done as late as possible.
So what's the problem, Qt sources are open for more than 10 years.

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 09:45:39 pm »
Why are you bringing up QtWebKit?  BitWise is not on this forum; and elsewhere they've said they have not yet selected the browser framework.
Sorry I just read from the referred chat protocol the following:
[11:21:39] <_diver> Yes as Qt5 has webkit.  And when this works a browser is a easy port

We need Qt first, and the selection of the browser framework should be done as late as possible.
So what's the problem, Qt sources are open for more than 10 years.

Obviously a simple error in his post. In previous threads it has already been made clear that Qtwebengine will be ported. We have webkit already and it is indeed outdated.

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 12:54:53 pm »
We are moving Forward! Thanks to all so far! I hope we can reach the Goal!

ak121

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 10:37:09 am »
For now there are more sponsoring campaigns than code changes related to OS/2 web browser projects. How is this new campaign related to the earlier November 2017 campaign (Source: http://articles.os2voice.org/index.php )?

Sorry my old account was banned here for no reason. This section is called "Technical - Programming" but simple questions that cover this topic seem no longer be welcomed.

I referred only to chat protocol which the admin of this side also copy'n'pasted to the wiki. The term QtWebEngine was never mentioned there but (Qt)WebKit a couple of times by the nick _diver.

A simple technical fact after checking with the Qt company, only maintenance fixes to QTWebEngine (Chromium-based) will be done in the LTS releases of Qt5.x.

--
Ridentem dicere verum, quid vetat.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 12:47:49 pm by Андреас Коль »

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 10:54:21 am »
For now there are more sponsoring campaigns than code changes related to OS/2 web browser projects. How is this new campaign related to the earlier November 2017 campaign (Source: http://articles.os2voice.org/index.php)?

Hi Andreas, I try to answer - sorry for not using kyrillic or latin language, (I could only offer Deutsch, French, English or Simple Chinese) you can read everything at the os2.org Forum once you use your motherlanguage (I guess). This campaign is not related to VOICE, even though both may have the same target.

ak121

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 12:56:43 pm »
In my opinion this Qt5 thing is a dead horse. For the same amount it would be possible to licence an up-to-date C++ compiler. The whole Qt environment is moving more to embedded and automotive stuff. So I cannot see an advantage. Nobody wants to pay for a web browser that cannot print or lacks all the usual features. We had already the failed Opera 5 for OS/2.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 02:31:25 pm »
Andreas, you got banned for 3 days for accusing people that they intentionally spread "unproven and untrue statements". I also deleted that post because it was useless. I'm extending the ban for 3 additional days for Andreas to cool off.

You rant about everything, you offer not solution, just rant. You even rant about the topic/name of the forum. If you personal opinion is just rant, people will just start to ignore you and that is worst that getting banned.

You enjoy too much correcting people by telling them that they spreading misinformation or fake news.  That is not true, people don't want to spread miss information, they just have some miss conception and people correct them politely, not accusing them. You don't have to always have to the final word, please behave and understand that people have a personal opinion and you are not the owner of the universal truth.

Please notice that there are also people that complain about your attitude in private messages to me. 
Andreas. I'm banning your for three day again until you relax and this time I'm also banning your IP.

Andreas, you, and your negative attitude is welcome to move on.

Regards
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 03:05:53 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 02:43:39 pm »
Nobody wants to pay for a web browser that cannot print or lacks all the usual features.
That is wrong, there are people that have already donated for the Qt5, so that kills the "nobody" part of your statement.
Also "usual features". Maybe "usual features" for Andreas is not "usual feature" for the rest of the world. Are you spreading fake news / miss information /unproven /untrue statements too ??

We had already the failed Opera 5 for OS/2.
So what? It failed, why bring that now?

Andreas, this reply, in my personal opinon,  just show that you are starting to loose arguments and just rant. If you don't like Qt5, a new browser and you like to surf the web with Netscape and Webexplorer (because you were the only one ranting about having OS2World with SSL), just go ahead. If you have a better idea for an OS/2 project create your own thread and motivate people to support it.

My personal suggestion to Andreas is to cool off.

Regards
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 02:59:09 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2018, 03:46:39 pm »
I'm sorry. I had removed Andreas comment and I'm in the process of banning him permanently of OS2World. Sorry but he just don't understand this is a moderated forum and not his home. The first 6 days ban expired and he just came back to rant more and more instead of cool off and move on.

Sorry, but he offers no help to this forum with this "know it all / I'm always right attitude" he may be welcome on other OS/2 communities but not here. His free of speech can be tolerated on his own personal page.

Regards.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 03:54:18 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 04:20:52 pm »
Martin,

thanks. The value of the forum increased. The past days showed that your decision was right.

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2018, 07:28:14 pm »
We are already past 50% of the target:

From 4.200 Euro are 2.030 Euro left! We may make it!!