Author Topic: FTP  (Read 23156 times)

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
Re: FTP
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2013, 02:12:50 am »
Firefox itself is SMP safe.  However, the IBM TCPIP32.DLL is not, and IIRC this can cause problems with Firefox among other things.  There's a patched SMP-safe version of TCPIP32.DLL available from various sources, such as recent versions of the ACPI WPI packages.

On that note, the Mozilla FireFTP extension is a fairly decent graphical FTP client.  It's available for SeaMonkey as well as Firefox.  I've never tried it with files that large, but I'd expect them to be supported.

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • ComKal Networks Australia
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2013, 05:47:51 am »
I use jMethods JFTP from jMethods http://jmethods.com/jftp/
(Requires Java)

I use '@JAVAW.EXE -jar -Xmx256M jftp-5.0.1.jar' to run it from a cmd file with Java6.
Main reason I use it is because that happens to be the one I settled on to run with
AIX, and it also happened to work fine under OS/2 (though the start ups a bit slow).

The largest file I've transferred, I think, is about 8gB.

Otherwise for hobbes stuff I prefer EmTec's FTP client simply because it's fast
but it has problems connecting to Mac's, some other FTP servers, and has the
standard file size problem due to it's age. <== Probably also due to my extensive
FTP bookmark's, I'm to lazy to copy them over :)
Cheers
Ian B Manners

Ben

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2013, 09:16:24 pm »
I don't know if there is any point in listing what one would want/need in a quality FTP Client... however.

• GUI-based, but with
  • Commandline options
  • FTP resume
  • The ability to handle and transfer files of any size that might be expected
  • OS/2 based... but a port would be acceptible.
  • Basic configurability with respect to layout, colours, panel shape and column sizing.
  • Basic file and directory handling, creation, deletion and manipulation.
  • Port selectability.
  • Passive and Active selection.
  • ANSI and Binary transfers.
  • Bookmarks with local and remote directory settings.
  • The ability to view "readme"s... and since this is a "Wish List",
  • Light weight, extraordinarily fast, bullet-proof and intuitive! 8)

Of course, this list is incomplete.

FTPBrowser had most of these features and has the most potential, but if memory serves me correctly, the programmer felt burnt by the lack of OS/2 support and the registration cracks that were easily available, and thus, is embittered and unresponsive; any attempts to contact him on the matter has failed... that I am aware of.

I believe there was an interview with him here on OS/2 World in a previous in incarnation.

Maybe a collection or "bounty" might be able to loosen things up a bit... I cannot say... I am merely brain-storming.

If I am not mistaken, Steven Levine, (and I do not speak for him, but would welcome his input), once wrote that he would be willing to look at the source code... if it became available... of course, he might not want to now and... the source is unavailable.

There are other options, but they would require more work; NFTPPM is but one example, (it is not GUI though has an ANSI interface), and the sources are available.

I am sure that there are many others here that can add to this starter post...

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2013, 05:43:47 am »
Thank you everyone for your helpful ideas, several of which have been noted down for possible future use.  I went the multi hop route and the VMs are now up and running in their new server.

Now another question.

During the course of trying various things I loaded the latest OS/2 version of firefox on the server and all went well.  That is until I found a picture of a circuit board I was interested in and clicked MB2 to bring up the save image menu.  On clicking ok firefox vanished - it did save the image though.  I tried it several times with different images all giving the same results.  I also get the same thing happening on other multi core processor boxes so the question is, is firefox SMP safe?

Sounds like the RMB bug. Basically with certain various extensions or combinations of extensions the RMB context menu recurses and crashes, usually with a bunch of entries in popup.log.
You can start FF in safe mode (help --> restart with add-ons disabled or such) to see if it still crashes and if not try disabling extensions until it clears up.
BTW Paul has more recent builds of ncftp that support large files. smedley.info