Author Topic: SYS 1201 error during boot.  (Read 5840 times)

Einar Lygre

• View Profile
SYS 1201 error during boot.
« on: March 22, 2018, 10:54:42 am »
During booting to eCS 2.1 I get this message: SYS 1201: The device driver C:/IBMCOM/PROTOCOL/LANVDD.OS2 specified in the DEVICE statement on line 42 of the CONFIG.SYS file was not installed. Press Enter to continue.
The driver is in the mentioned address. So why this error message and what to do about it?  And what is the function of LANVDD.OS2?  The installation of eCS is quite new on a new disk after a disk crash.
Thank you for any help.

Bogdan

• View Profile
Re: SYS 1201 error during boot.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 12:03:01 pm »
LAN Virtual Device Driver can only work in conjunction with the interface provided by LANPDD.OS2 to provide networking for DOS sessions.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 04:49:18 pm »
Hi All

I get the same message when booting eCS2.1 updated with various drivers from the Arca Driver Subscription pack.

The driver that cannot be loaded is vboxdrv.sys which does not seem to have any reliance on any other driver.

My current best guess is that the acpi installed, 3.23.05, could be involved.

Any other thoughts/best guesses?

Regards

Pete

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 07:01:07 pm »
Sometimes I see driver boot failures when memory is exhausted. I am not talking about the normal memory pool the end-users see though, so maybe this has something to do with shared memory?

Here is what I see (as an example): all my partitions are HPFS386 (there are 15 of them), when I am trying a new device driver, often times the HPFS386 cache size (set to 128Meg right now) becomes too large and during boot-up I start seeing HPFS386 disk error messages...well, no errors exist, but during the boot process, whatever changes I implemented caused the available memory for HPFS386 cache to be exhausted, thus the failures.

Another example of this is playing with SNAP allocated video memory amount. The hardware has 256Meg on-board, but I only have it set to use 32Meg, else I run into problems booting various other device drivers.

Sooo...my point being: could what you are seeing be similarly driven by memory availability? Maybe the new AOS drivers are now consuming more?

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 07:50:19 pm »
Sometimes I see driver boot failures when memory is exhausted. I am not talking about the normal memory pool the end-users see though, so maybe this has something to do with shared memory?

Here is what I see (as an example): all my partitions are HPFS386 (there are 15 of them), when I am trying a new device driver, often times the HPFS386 cache size (set to 128Meg right now) becomes too large and during boot-up I start seeing HPFS386 disk error messages...well, no errors exist, but during the boot process, whatever changes I implemented caused the available memory for HPFS386 cache to be exhausted, thus the failures.

Another example of this is playing with SNAP allocated video memory amount. The hardware has 256Meg on-board, but I only have it set to use 32Meg, else I run into problems booting various other device drivers.

Sooo...my point being: could what you are seeing be similarly driven by memory availability? Maybe the new AOS drivers are now consuming more?

If you boot your OS/2 system with many of the larger driver such as ACPI.PSD, Uniaud, SNAP and a few JFS drivers.
Always, always set the setting earlymeminit=true. If do you do not you have 16 MB of RAM to load all drivers.
Note that this switch does not work that well with HPFS386.IFS.
The issue is that when the system runs out memory it can simply crash during startup somewhere.

Roderick

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 08:43:50 pm »
Hi Roderick,

If you boot your OS/2 system with many of the larger driver such as ACPI.PSD, Uniaud, SNAP and a few JFS drivers.
Always, always set the setting earlymeminit=true. If do you do not you have 16 MB of RAM to load all drivers.
Note that this switch does not work that well with HPFS386.IFS.
The issue is that when the system runs out memory it can simply crash during startup somewhere.

Hmm, I currently have VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT=2560 in place, but the EARLYMEMINIT=TRUE setting you suggest always prevents me from being able to run HPFS386 my machine. Maybe it is a combination of drivers which I use, all the ones you mentioned above with the exception of JFS...when I tried it (a long time ago) alongside HPFS386 I actually managed to corrupt my HPFS386 partitions...that was the ONLY and LAST time I attempted to run JFS.