OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Applications

VirtualBox problems

(1/17) > >>

Pete:
Hi All

After a long time of not using vbox I decided to "hookup" the already installed package to ArcaOS. This simply involved creating a Desktop object to start vbox with, adding vboxdrv.sys and rebooting.

During reboot - several attempts - boot stops with ifx checking and cleaning ini files.

I REM'd the ifx line as I do not hink that is the problem and rebooted. Boot now stops displaying pmshell.exe as the last line on screen.

It seems something in ArcaOS does not like vboxdrv.sys...

I tried updating acpi to 3.23.07 with no change, boot stops as before.

I have not really used either of my eCS installations since installing ArcaOS but decided to try booting eCS2.1 with various ArcaOS Driver Pack updates. Boot stops with a SYS1201: vboxdrv.sys not installed.

The same problem with eCS2.2b2 - which surprised me as ecS2.2b2 is the system that was in use when I first installed and used VirtualBox successfully.

Both eCS installations are using acpi 3.23.05 and os2krnl 14_106 SMP

Checking my backups I see that when I first installed and used VirtualBox in eCS2.2b2 I was using acpi 3.23.03. I had updated acpi to 3.23.05 in my eCS2.2b2 installation shortly before installing and concentrating on ArcaOS and suspect that I never tried running VirtualBox after the acpi update.

Here I must admit to being a little "naughty" and installing the 14_201 SMP kernel and acpi 3.23.06 in eCS2.2b2 to test whether that would make a difference ; Would eCS2.2b2 boot past the ifx/pmshell boot stop that ArcaOS has?

The answer is that eCS2.2b2 boots to a working Desktop without problems with those files installed. It cannot run VirtualBox though and delivers this error message

Failed to create the VirtualBoxClient COM object.

The application will now terminate.

Callee RC: NS_ERROR_ABORT (0x80004004)

This error happens with the vboxdrv.sys supplied in r141 and the later version from ftp://osfree.org/upload/vbox/vboxdrv.zip

Interesting that eCS2.2b2 can boot to a working Desktop using those "naughty" updates though where ArcaOS cannot.

Does anyone have VirtualBox running OK with ArcaOS?

Any thoughts on the above problems, anyone?

Regards

Pete

Pete:
Hi All

There is an even later vboxdrv.sys just uploaded ftp://osfree.org/upload/vbox/vboxdrv.zip so I thought I would give it a try.

No change, ArcaOS stops at the IFX ini  check.

I rebooted and tried using Shift just as IFX was about to run. That brought up the IFX options. As there would not be any point in selecting any of the ini backups I selected 0, no changes to ini files .

Boot continued and ArcaOS got to a working Desktop. Does this suggest some sort of timing error?

Sadly virtualbox still does not run displaying this error

Failed to create the VirtualBoxClient COM object.

The application will now terminate.

Callee RC: NS_ERROR_ABORT (0x80004004)

Any thoughts?

Regards

Pete

Doug Bissett:

--- Quote ---Any thoughts on the above problems, anyone?
--- End quote ---

I run the old VBox 1.6.1, and the beta 5.0.6, under ArcaOS. No unexpected problems. The won't run OS/2, because you need VT-x/AMD-V enabled, and the OS/2 versions of VBox can't do that (be sure that the option is turned off). You can run a 64 bit OS, as a guest, but it will be dead slow, so don't bother even trying (like 12 hours to boot win 7 64 bit).

--- Quote ---There is an even later vboxdrv.sys just uploaded ftp://osfree.org/upload/vbox/vboxdrv.zip so I thought I would give it a try
--- End quote ---

The driver should match the version that you are running.

Two other suggestions:

1) Be sure that VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT is set high enough, so you don't run out of virtual address space. I use 2560. 2048 doesn't seem to do the job, and some systems won't work with 3072. This setting has nothing, at all, to do with physical memory.

2) Sort your CONFIG.SYS properly. I use my Logical Config.Sys Sort program (LCSS), which is at HOBBES.

Dave Yeo:
I'm using the original driver dated 11/10/16, same as the most of the files, no problem booting but attempting to run virtualbox.exe gives the same error as you get in nspr.
Looking at ANPM, seems nspr-legacy was updated at the same time as nspr and attempting to down level results in an error about nspr needing down leveled as well. Need the latest nspr for Mozilla.
I've updated the driver and will test booting with it and also test downgrading both nspr and nspr-legacy after rebooting.

Dave Yeo:
Updating the driver still allows booting. Running virtualbox.exe still results in the same error. Reviewing the readme, it looks like I was wrong about nspr-legacy being a dependency, I guess it is actually a xpcom error and virtualbox includes its own build of xpcom, VBoxXCOM.dll. So no idea what, if any, upgrade broke virtualbox.

BTW, about your ifx error. I saw dmt (the eCS version of ifx) hangs in the past with eCS but none with ArcaOS. Doug might have a point in the ordering in config.sys.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version