Author Topic: VirtualBox problems  (Read 58040 times)

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
Re: VirtualBox problems
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2018, 05:27:42 am »
Hi Mark,

...Both VM's are recognized by VirtualBox, but when I attempt to boot them, more times than not I get a message "Unknown error 1018 - during initialization of the runtime" (JPG attached). The detail screen comes up with a message that "The Virtual Machine WindowsXP has terminated unexpectedly during start-up with an exit code 1 (0x1) in Component "MachineWrap" (JPG attached)...

Similar situation here, in fact, the very same error.

So far I have tried to play around with various VM settings, such as the I/O Apic, AMD-V and so forth. So far, no luck. I am still erroring out...will try a build of a brand new VM next.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2018, 06:31:37 am »
Just a WAG, but do you have enough real memory free, to be able to load the whole VBox machine, without getting into a paging scenario?

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2018, 03:43:53 pm »
Good Morning All!

Just a WAG, but do you have enough real memory free, to be able to load the whole VBox machine, without getting into a paging scenario?

Hi Doug!

Reading on of the VirtualBox forums, it indicated 512 Mb minimum physical memory required, with 1 Gb recommended. As there was no ReadMe with memory requirements in either the 5.0.6 or 5.0.51 packages, I don't know if that is sufficient  for getting the OS2 derived versions running. I have over 2.5 Gb in this machine and without running anything else in the background and it seems to be using about 600 Mb when the Windows XP VM is booting successfully.

It's also been sufficient to run Virtual PC in the past, but I assume that VirtualBox has advanced significantly past VPC and that it may require additional memory with the added features involved.

Are you testing the 5.0.51 package? My second question was related to whether I should install the 5.0.6 additions with 5.0.51 or whether there is a package available that is specific for the current OS2 version?

Hi Mark,

...Both VM's are recognized by VirtualBox, but when I attempt to boot them, more times than not I get a message "Unknown error 1018 - during initialization of the runtime" (JPG attached). The detail screen comes up with a message that "The Virtual Machine WindowsXP has terminated unexpectedly during start-up with an exit code 1 (0x1) in Component "MachineWrap" (JPG attached)...

Similar situation here, in fact, the very same error.

So far I have tried to play around with various VM settings, such as the I/O Apic, AMD-V and so forth. So far, no luck. I am still erroring out...will try a build of a brand new VM next.

Hi Dariusz!

Attempting to run the new Windows 7 VM I created, with no OS installed as of yet, was exhibiting the same problem opening, with the same error messages. I haven't looked at the logs created, as of yet, in the LOGS folder to see if it gives any clue.

Mark

Vincit Que Se Vincit - "He Who Conquers Self Succeeds"

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2018, 11:20:25 pm »
Well, my issue turned out to be somewhat trivial actually.

I have four versions of VBox installed:

1) Paul's release from 2008
2) 2008 release from dmik (1.5.51_OSE_27858)
3) 2016 release (5.0.6_OSE r140)
3) 2018 release from osfree.org

I had updated my CONFIG.SYS to clean-up the use and re-configure from using Paul's version to 2016 release, but inadvertently left my CONFIG.SYS driver pointing to the newer 2018 release.

Once this was corrected I was now able to start my VM using the 2016 release of the software. I have not tried the 2018 release yet. Oh, another thing worth noting: I was using the older 0.6.0 of libcx but just the other day I moved up to the experimental version which is 0.6.1-2.oc00 (because I want to look at some Firefox issues).

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2018, 03:44:27 am »
Reading on of the VirtualBox forums, it indicated 512 Mb minimum physical memory required, with 1 Gb recommended. As there was no ReadMe with memory requirements in either the 5.0.6 or 5.0.51 packages, I don't know if that is sufficient  for getting the OS2 derived versions running. I have over 2.5 Gb in this machine and without running anything else in the background and it seems to be using about 600 Mb when the Windows XP VM is booting successfully.

What I am getting at, is that you should try to keep the guest memory small enough that it doesn't overflow the host real memory, when you start the guest. Of course, it does need to be big enough for the guest to run efficiently. Win XP needs about 500 MB to run efficiently, so you need to have about 600 MB of free memory, after starting VBox, and before opening the win XP guest. That should be no problem with 2.5 GB of memory, unless you have it filled up with other things.

It's also been sufficient to run Virtual PC in the past, but I assume that VirtualBox has advanced significantly past VPC and that it may require additional memory with the added features involved.

Virtual PC is a completely different program.

Are you testing the 5.0.51 package? My second question was related to whether I should install the 5.0.6 additions with 5.0.51 or whether there is a package available that is specific for the current OS2 version?

I am using the 5.0.6 version, with the 5.0.6 additions. The additions should be within a few versions of the program, or they may not work. I don't know anything about 5.0.51, so I can't answer that question, other than to point out that an additions package should be available for the 5.0.51 version, from the same place where you got 5.0.51 (at least there should be a pointer to where to find it, or which version to use).

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2018, 03:48:36 am »
Well, my issue turned out to be somewhat trivial actually.

I have four versions of VBox installed:

1) Paul's release from 2008
2) 2008 release from dmik (1.5.51_OSE_27858)
3) 2016 release (5.0.6_OSE r140)
3) 2018 release from osfree.org

I had updated my CONFIG.SYS to clean-up the use and re-configure from using Paul's version to 2016 release, but inadvertently left my CONFIG.SYS driver pointing to the newer 2018 release.

Once this was corrected I was now able to start my VM using the 2016 release of the software. I have not tried the 2018 release yet. Oh, another thing worth noting: I was using the older 0.6.0 of libcx but just the other day I moved up to the experimental version which is 0.6.1-2.oc00 (because I want to look at some Firefox issues).

Hi Dariusz!

Interesting.

What was "the use" refered to that you found in CONFIG.SYS, related to the other versions you had installed, out of curiosity?

I am using the standard Arca Noae package manager RPM versions, currently installed for 5.0.1 (libcx 0.6.0-1). Where did you get the libcx 0.6.1-2.oc00 version?

If I have a link, I will download and see if it solves the problem here for the 2018, v5.0.51 of VirtualBox as well, as the previous posts on this thread also seem to relate to LIBCX in some way, shape or form.

Best!

Mark

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2018, 04:36:49 am »
Hi Mark

Run ANPM and install netlabs-exp to get the option of installing experimental updates.

You may need the SET LIBCX_HIGHMEM=2 setting in the config.sys file; VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT=3072 seems to work best here.

I have seen the "Unknown error - 1018..." message a couple of times with both 5.0.6 and 5.0.51 when trying to start vms created with VBox and known to work. Clicking "abort", counting to 5 then retrying has worked - so far.

There does not seem to be an Additions 5.0.51; 5.0.6 seems to work OK in 5.0.51 in very limited testing here.

Regards

Pete

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2018, 06:29:48 am »
Hi Mark

Run ANPM and install netlabs-exp to get the option of installing experimental updates.

You may need the SET LIBCX_HIGHMEM=2 setting in the config.sys file; VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT=3072 seems to work best here.

I have seen the "Unknown error - 1018..." message a couple of times with both 5.0.6 and 5.0.51 when trying to start vms created with VBox and known to work. Clicking "abort", counting to 5 then retrying has worked - so far.

There does not seem to be an Additions 5.0.51; 5.0.6 seems to work OK in 5.0.51 in very limited testing here.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete!

Interesting, yet again.

I did add netlabs-exp to ANPM and then installed libcx 0.6.1-2.oc00. Thanks!

Rebooting, as per instruction, without adding the SET LIBCX_HIGHMEM=2 I can confirm that I got the "Failed to create the VirtualBoxClient COM Object" message. (attached). Adding the SET LIBCX_HIGHMEM=2 and rebooting again, I was able to open VirtualBox 5.0.51, as per previous, when I had Libcx 0.6.0-1 installed.

So, empirically, I suspect the problem you were reporting at the beginning of the thread seems to be related specifically to the experiential build of libcx (0.6.1-2).

I did try your suggested solution related to opening a VM session, but still got the 1018 error - its late here and thought I would try it peripherally, but will fiddle around with it tomorrow, for a bit, when I get up.

If Dariusz is hanging about (or you, Pete, or anyone else for that matter) can give me some idea as to where the VirtualBox lines are located in your CONFIG.SYS, I can try moving them about to test and see if the position of the lines make any difference, in opening the VM's. I suspect not, but we're making some progress in at least defining whats happening here, which may be able to help the developers.

A fine rest of the evening to all and Best!

Mark

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2018, 07:49:37 am »
2Mark Szkolnicki:

> Both VM's are recognized by VirtualBox, but when I attempt to boot them, more times than not I get a message "Unknown error 1018 - during initialization of the runtime" (JPG attached). The detail screen comes up with a message that "The Virtual Machine WindowsXP has terminated unexpectedly during start-up with an exit code 1 (0x1) in Component "MachineWrap" (JPG attached).

Do you have AMD-V/VT-x enabled? What kernel are you using? IBM's or OS/4? Which PSD? (acpi.psd/os2apic.psd/os4apic.psd)? Did you saw a "Guru Meditation" screen? Can you show me VM log and the VM config?

PS: No special additions version is required for 5.0.51. 5.0.51 is just a bit newer version from 5.0.6 -- no big difference, so the same 5.0.x additions should work well. Additions don't enhance performance significantly. They are for user experience with the VM to be more comfortable, e.g., shared folders, clipboard sharing, mouse pointer integration etc.

PPS: 5.0.51 is a development version, not a release. That's because it did not have special additions version. Also, I did not "released" it officially. The link just "leaked" from the bug tracker when I gave it to Pete for testing.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 02:30:30 pm by Valery Sedletski »

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2018, 06:16:37 pm »
Hi Valery

... The link just "leaked" from the bug tracker when I gave it to Pete for testing.

Guilty as charged, my Apologies.

However, the "up" side is that you are getting 5.0.51 tested by more people.

Regards

Pete

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2018, 06:22:55 pm »
Hi Mark

If you have the vboxdrv.sys line in the wrong place you may experience trouble booting.

I do not have an ArcaOS version of a config.sys file having "sort of" sorted my config.sys into sections. The SET LIBCX setting I simply added to the end of my REM [ Environment Variables ] section where all my "Set" lines live.

Have you tried VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT=3072? - not sure if it will make any difference...

Regards

Pete

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2018, 07:27:57 pm »
2Valery

A Good Friday to you!

2Mark Szkolnicki:

> Both VM's are recognized by VirtualBox, but when I attempt to boot them, more times than not I get a message "Unknown error 1018 - during initialization of the runtime" (JPG attached). The detail screen comes up with a message that "The Virtual Machine WindowsXP has terminated unexpectedly during start-up with an exit code 1 (0x1) in Component "MachineWrap" (JPG attached).

Do you have AMD-V/VT-x enabled? What kernel are you using? IBM's or OS/4? Which PSD? (acpi.psd/os2apic.psd/os4apic.psd)? Did you saw a "Guru Meditation" screen? Can you show me VM log and the VM config?

PS: No special additions version is required for 5.0.51. 5.0.51 is just a bit newer version from 5.0.6 -- no big difference, so the same 5.0.x additions should work well. Additions don't enhance performance significantly. They are for user experience with the VM to be more comfortable, e.g., shared folders, clipboard sharing, mouse pointer integration etc.

PPS: 5.0.51 is a development version, not a release. That's because it did not have special additions version. Also, I did not "released" it officially. The link just "leaked" from the bug tracker when I gave it to Pete for testing.

Understood that 5.0.51 is a developmental release Valery.

Having been in the OS2 community for decades, its very rare to find anything BUT on-going developmental releases, especially for big projects like this and browsers like Seamonkey, so we are all very experienced in jury rigging and testing. And like everything else in this crazy internet world, nothing is secret or "not released" for long ...........

I actually saw the notice about v5.0.51 that Martin posted here. (He should be a reporter, as he has a nose for news <smile>)

In answer to the hardware / software questions you were asking .............

I'm testing on a 3.0 GHz AMD quad core with 3.0 Gb of physical memory.

I am testing with ArcaOS v5.0.1 installed on this machine, with the kernel updated to 14.201_SMP. eCS v2.2 is also installed on this machine on a separate partition, but has not been used for the testing, as of yet. ACPI is at the latest released level (3.23.08) on both partitions.

In regards to "Guru Mediation" screen, I have no idea as to what you are referring to. I have included the screen that comes up with the Windows XP information presented. If I have some idea as to what your referring to, and how to get it, I will include that as well.

There are a number of VM logs in the BIN directory from I assume various unsuccessful start-up attempts, but as they all say the same thing I have included one example - I don't know if these are generated only if the VM does not run with the 1018 error. If you can indicate where the VM Config file(s) are, I will send one.

BTW AMD-V/VT-X is indicated as "enabled" by default (see attached). However, the "invalid setting detected" message at the bottom when moused over, indicates that the current kernel doesn't allow enablement of hardware virtualization.

Have to run at the moment Valery, but if you have any other questions let me know and Best!

Mark

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2018, 08:36:31 pm »
Good Friday to you, Pete!

Hi Mark

If you have the vboxdrv.sys line in the wrong place you may experience trouble booting.

I do not have an ArcaOS version of a config.sys file having "sort of" sorted my config.sys into sections. The SET LIBCX setting I simply added to the end of my REM [ Environment Variables ] section where all my "Set" lines live.

Have you tried VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT=3072? - not sure if it will make any difference...

Regards

Pete

I've not had a problem booting as of yet - I have vboxdrv.sys towards the end of my config.sys file. Currently I just added the SET LIBCX line after the line for vboxdrv.sys. As itt was 10:00 PM when I did it, and had had a long day, I left the rest for today.

And yes I did up VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT to 3072. No change as of yesterday - will see today.

Thats why I was curious as to what Dariusz did to his CONFIG.SYS, as he implied that the problem with the 1018 error was now solved. I'd like to see of I can reproduce what he did here and see if it solves the problem.

BTW, considering all the experimentation that goes on here, I'm curious as to what people are using the LIBCX 0.6.2-1 for, as it seems a number of people have it installed. Was it attempting to address an issue in Seamonkey, 2.42 or one of the other regularly used programs?

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2018, 11:15:31 pm »
Hi mark

I think the libcx 0.6.2-1 update was related to latest Seamonkey/Firefox releases.

Regards

Pete

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2018, 11:40:29 pm »
Hi mark

I think the libcx 0.6.2-1 update was related to latest Seamonkey/Firefox releases.

Regards

Pete

Thanks, Pete

I wasn't having any luck getting VBox to start a VM with 0.6.2-1, including changing around the location of SET LIBCX and upping the memory, so I backleveled for the moment.

Still was getting sporadic VM start-ups, but was able to get the Windows XP VM up and then, just as an experiment, I also started the Windows 7 VM, and it also could be started at the same time, without getting the error message. Shutdpwn and restart gave the error message yet again, for both VM's

I'll level back up to the experimental LIBCX and play around a little more later.

Mark