Author Topic: VirtualBox problems  (Read 57816 times)

roberto

• View Profile
Re: VirtualBox problems
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2018, 01:12:45 am »

Both VM's are recognized by VirtualBox, but when I attempt to boot them, more times than not I get a message "Unknown error 1018 - during initialization of the runtime" (JPG attached). The detail screen comes up with a message that "The Virtual Machine WindowsXP has terminated unexpectedly during start-up with an exit code 1 (0x1) in Component "MachineWrap" (JPG attached).

This does not occur ever time, as I can boot the WindowsXP VM, especially if I use "Machine - Start -  Normal Start" from the Menu Bar, but, after multiple boots of both VM's in VirtualBox, the results vary.

I was wondering the following:

1) Has anyone encountered that problem starting up a VBOX VM session? (It seems to occur with both the Window XP VDI and the Windows 7 VM that I have not installed yet,)

Is there a workaround?

I just saw the mistake you're making.
But I only get the first time I run the virtual machine xp. If I execute it a second time, I do not get any error.
I'm not using highmem.
And virtualaddress = 2840

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2018, 04:51:10 am »
Hey Mark,

...What was "the use" refered to that you found in CONFIG.SYS, related to the other versions you had installed, out of curiosity?

I am using the standard Arca Noae package manager RPM versions, currently installed for 5.0.1 (libcx 0.6.0-1). Where did you get the libcx 0.6.1-2.oc00 version?

If I have a link, I will download and see if it solves the problem here for the 2018, v5.0.51 of VirtualBox as well, as the previous posts on this thread also seem to relate to LIBCX in some way, shape or form.

Ahh..."the use" was simply reflecting the fact that I am using the 'VBOX_USER_HOME' variable to point to the VBox home, and previously with different versions I had them based in the program directory instead of the system 'HOME' location. Sorry, I think that caused some confusion...I've attached my CONFIG.SYS so you can take a look at it. Hopefully it'll help you out answering the question regarding the location of the driver as well.

The key to making my install work was to point to the corrent driver...I was not using the matching release and that was enough here to cause exactly the same problem you are seeing.

Regarding libcx...I did move to the test release, you can get it from the netlabs-exp repo, again, take a look at the attached file, needs to go into \etc\yum\repos.d directory, but read-up on it since I'm not sure how much you know about the YUM/RPM setups. The general concensus is that it is NOT advisable to install the stuff from non-release repos, so YMMV!

EDIT
====
libcx specifics...OK, so if you pick the latest netlabs-exp version you will need to run vBox with the 'SET LIBCX_HIGHMEM=2' in either your CONFIG.SYS or if you put it in something like vbox.cmd (see attached) file it will only affect vbox app instead of everything on your system that uses libcx. Here is a link (https://github.com/bitwiseworks/libcx) to the github for libcx that explains this well (look towards the bottom of the page => https://github.com/bitwiseworks/libcx#notes-on-c-heap-displacement)

I am curious if vBox could be re-build to make use of the modified version of libcx to avoid having to do this...far too complex for me to understand though...LOL
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 05:07:45 am by Dariusz Piatkowski »

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2018, 01:37:06 pm »
2Mark Szkolnicki:

> Understood that 5.0.51 is a developmental release Valery.

Yes, it's a development version, but not less stable than 5.0.6. I planned to update the OS/2 VBox port to a newer version. 5.0.51 is not a final one, but some intermediate version. I'll probably try to update it to more newer version.

> I actually saw the notice about v5.0.51 that Martin posted here. (He should be a reporter, as he has a nose for news <smile>)

Yes, it's possibly, Martin is guilty for a leakage ;) But anyway it's good as it could gain more attention to the project, so it is ok.

> I am testing with ArcaOS v5.0.1 installed on this machine, with the kernel updated to 14.201_SMP. eCS v2.2 is also installed on this machine on a separate partition, but has not been used for the testing, as of yet. ACPI is at the latest released level (3.23.08) on both partitions.

AMD-V/VT-x is not supported on IBM kernels so far. You need an OS/4 kernel to use HW virtualization in VBox. PSD can be any, but note that newer ACPI.PSD are incompatible with OS/4 kernels (AN just disables all CPU cores. Any hacking with it won't help, so OS/4 devs gave up on patching ACPI.PSD for working on OS/4 kernel). So, you'll need os2apic.psd or os4apic.psd, or earlier versions of ACPI.PSD for use with OS/4 kernel.

Also, as you have "brand new" 3.23.08 ACPI.PSD, could you please run this test: http://gus.biysk.ru/os4/test/timerTest.html (Please, redirect the output to file, we need about 200 iterations of this test. This is a high resolution timer test. It is interesting to know if they fixed a hi-res timer bug in 3.23.08. It is still present in 3.23.07.)

> In regards to "Guru Mediation" screen, I have no idea as to what you are referring to. I have included the screen that comes up with the Windows XP information presented. If I have some idea as to what your referring to, and how to get it, I will include that as well.

"Guru meditation" is a VBox panic error. It should write it to the console (if you start VBox from OS/2 window), and in VBox VM log. VBox stores the VM log in Logs\VBox.log in each VM subdirectory. Yes, as far as I can see, you have AMD-V/VT-x enabled in your VM. Why did you so? It is disabled by default, and displays a warning in case you enabled it and your system lacks required API's and features. So, disable it, and it should work.

> BTW AMD-V/VT-X is indicated as "enabled" by default (see attached). However, the "invalid setting detected" message at the bottom when moused over, indicates that the current kernel doesn't allow enablement of hardware virtualization.

Yes, that's what I meant above. VBox warns you that your configuration is incorrect. So, disable AMD-V/VT-x checkbox and it should work.

2Pete:

>>... The link just "leaked" from the bug tracker when I gave it to Pete for testing.

> Guilty as charged, my Apologies.

Yes, I did not planned to distribute this version, but no problem ;)

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2018, 03:43:05 pm »
Good Morning Roberto!

Both VM's are recognized by VirtualBox, but when I attempt to boot them, more times than not I get a message "Unknown error 1018 - during initialization of the runtime" (JPG attached). The detail screen comes up with a message that "The Virtual Machine WindowsXP has terminated unexpectedly during start-up with an exit code 1 (0x1) in Component "MachineWrap" (JPG attached).

This does not occur ever time, as I can boot the WindowsXP VM, especially if I use "Machine - Start -  Normal Start" from the Menu Bar, but, after multiple boots of both VM's in VirtualBox, the results vary.

I was wondering the following:

1) Has anyone encountered that problem starting up a VBOX VM session? (It seems to occur with both the Window XP VDI and the Windows 7 VM that I have not installed yet,)

Is there a workaround?

I just saw the mistake you're making.
But I only get the first time I run the virtual machine xp. If I execute it a second time, I do not get any error.
I'm not using highmem.
And virtualaddress = 2840

In my case the results are sporadic.

The VM may not start up when I try it 5-6 times, and then the next time it will boot. After shutting down, and attempting to restart the VM again, the 1019 error may occur again. So YMMV.

O was curious about three things, Roberto:

1) Is the Windows XP VM your using one that you  created under the OS/2 version (5.0.6 or 5.0.51?) or did you use a VDI that was created under another version of VirtualBox (eg. under Windows?). In my case it was created on a Windows machine using VBox 5.0.22.

I don't thing that is the problem, as the Windows 7 VM I created exhibits the same start-up problem, but lets be through.

2) What version of Libcx are you using? I know there are earlier versions than 0.6.0. Was it installed through YUM/RPM or through ANPM? Perhaps that is the difference?

3) Are you having success with starting the VM under v5.0.6 or 5.0.51. I have never used 5.0.6, so I'm just trying to establish the same conditions you have which I might try on one of my test machines to see if I can reproduce the environment your using.

I tried the Virtualaddresslimit you suggested - no difference.
Vincit Que Se Vincit - "He Who Conquers Self Succeeds"

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2018, 04:07:00 pm »
Good Morning Dariusz!

Hey Mark,

Ahh..."the use" was simply reflecting the fact that I am using the 'VBOX_USER_HOME' variable to point to the VBox home, and previously with different versions I had them based in the program directory instead of the system 'HOME' location. Sorry, I think that caused some confusion...I've attached my CONFIG.SYS so you can take a look at it. Hopefully it'll help you out answering the question regarding the location of the driver as well.

The key to making my install work was to point to the corrent driver...I was not using the matching release and that was enough here to cause exactly the same problem you are seeing.

Regarding libcx...I did move to the test release, you can get it from the netlabs-exp repo, again, take a look at the attached file, needs to go into \etc\yum\repos.d directory, but read-up on it since I'm not sure how much you know about the YUM/RPM setups. The general concensus is that it is NOT advisable to install the stuff from non-release repos, so YMMV!

I can't say I',m an expert at YUM/RPM, but after just a few decades of working with OS/2, eCS,  ArcaOS I learn quickly ............

I will try what you suggested above. After migrating to libcx 0.6.2-1 I have not had a successful start of either VM, but that may be because of the current configuration.

I was curious about one other thing.

Is VirtualBox and your VM's installed on the same partition?

I ask because I usually install my apps on a different partition that the OS one, and in this case I have my virtual disks on yet another partition.

I did this originally when I started running Virtual PC way back when, when space was a lot less cavernous, and I didn't want to flip around physical hard drives and reinstall. VPC is on my System Partition (Drive E:), ArcaOS is on Drive F:, and the Virtual Disks are on Drive O:. This setup has worked perfectly for that, and I mirrored the set-up, when installing VirtualBox, but I'm wondering if, being a developmental release, that set-up is the problem.

I'll try your suggestions first, and then maybe place everything together, especially if I plan to test over the long haul.

Mark

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2018, 04:35:46 pm »
Good Morning Valery!

2Mark Szkolnicki:

> I am testing with ArcaOS v5.0.1 installed on this machine, with the kernel updated to 14.201_SMP. eCS v2.2 is also installed on this machine on a separate partition, but has not been used for the testing, as of yet. ACPI is at the latest released level (3.23.08) on both partitions.

AMD-V/VT-x is not supported on IBM kernels so far. You need an OS/4 kernel to use HW virtualization in VBox. PSD can be any, but note that newer ACPI.PSD are incompatible with OS/4 kernels (AN just disables all CPU cores. Any hacking with it won't help, so OS/4 devs gave up on patching ACPI.PSD for working on OS/4 kernel). So, you'll need os2apic.psd or os4apic.psd, or earlier versions of ACPI.PSD for use with OS/4 kernel.

Also, as you have "brand new" 3.23.08 ACPI.PSD, could you please run this test: http://gus.biysk.ru/os4/test/timerTest.html (Please, redirect the output to file, we need about 200 iterations of this test. This is a high resolution timer test. It is interesting to know if they fixed a hi-res timer bug in 3.23.08. It is still present in 3.23.07.)

> In regards to "Guru Mediation" screen, I have no idea as to what you are referring to. I have included the screen that comes up with the Windows XP information presented. If I have some idea as to what your referring to, and how to get it, I will include that as well.

"Guru meditation" is a VBox panic error. It should write it to the console (if you start VBox from OS/2 window), and in VBox VM log. VBox stores the VM log in Logs\VBox.log in each VM subdirectory. Yes, as far as I can see, you have AMD-V/VT-x enabled in your VM. Why did you so? It is disabled by default, and displays a warning in case you enabled it and your system lacks required API's and features. So, disable it, and it should work.

> BTW AMD-V/VT-X is indicated as "enabled" by default (see attached). However, the "invalid setting detected" message at the bottom when moused over, indicates that the current kernel doesn't allow enablement of hardware virtualization.

Yes, that's what I meant above. VBox warns you that your configuration is incorrect. So, disable AMD-V/VT-x checkbox and it should work.

I'll try to get you the information related to ACPI.PSD later today.

In regard to "Guru Meditation" - from your description I assume that it would be seen if you attempt to start VirtualBox.exe from an OS/2 window, and the program will not start at all. As that has not been the problem I have been experiencing, I'm not sure if running that test would give you any added information, but could try it if you wish.

There are 4 VBox.log files in the Windows XP \LOG subdirectory which have been generated and which I've attached below.

I've had some very useful feedback from all, at the moment, which could help out in my current testing. Will let you know when I have some results and Best!

Mark

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2018, 05:03:12 pm »
Good Morning again Valery!

I ran the timer test which generated a long list of numbers, coloured black and red - I let it run up to "204" in the background while I was doing other things. The page is attached below as an HTML.

Let me know if that was what you wanted, and if it gave you the information you needed.

Mark

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2018, 08:03:00 pm »
In my case the results are sporadic.

The VM may not start up when I try it 5-6 times, and then the next time it will boot.
Yes, is sporadic, 2 times 5 times. I guess that's why he asks for the timertest.

1) Is the Windows XP VM your using one that you  created under the OS/2 version (5.0.6 or 5.0.51?) or did you use a VDI that was created under another version of VirtualBox (eg. under Windows?). In my case it was created on a Windows machine using VBox 5.0.22.
Create in 506 with os2 , and I return to 506.
Libcx 060
I tried the Virtualaddresslimit you suggested - no difference.
I am testing this value of virtualaddresslimit,  I'm looking for more system stability, and for now what I think works best is to disable the sounds of the system. But this has to be checked every bit, because in start-ups it is activated on its own.
Saludos

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2018, 11:44:30 pm »
2Mark Szkolnicki:

Did you switched AMD-V/VT-x off? According to your log, it is enabled and it failed to initialize. (I see no Guru meditation, though, so this is not that case). That is what I suggested you above: switch off AMD-V/VT-x. Why did you enabled it? It was never supported by OS/2 port of VBox. Only last builds contain some support for that, and only on OS/4 kernels!

> In regard to "Guru Meditation" - from your description I assume that it would be seen if you attempt to start VirtualBox.exe from an OS/2 window, and the program will not start at all. As that has not been the problem I have been experiencing, I'm not sure if running that test would give you any added information, but could try it if you wish.

The program will wtart, but itt will show a panic screen. The test has no relation with "Guru meditation" error, I only need to know if they fixed a hi-res timer error in your version of ACPI.PSD. As you're the first user I know having this version.

> There are 4 VBox.log files in the Windows XP \LOG subdirectory which have been generated and which I've attached below.

Thanks, but I only need the last one.

> * timerTest.html (6.44 kB - downloaded 6 times.)

This is some trash with javascript code (look into the file you attached). Please attach the text file with the test output

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2018, 12:47:26 am »
Here's a longer timer test output with ACPI 3.23.08.

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2018, 01:21:08 am »
Good Afternoon Valery!

2Mark Szkolnicki:

Did you switched AMD-V/VT-x off? According to your log, it is enabled and it failed to initialize. (I see no Guru meditation, though, so this is not that case). That is what I suggested you above: switch off AMD-V/VT-x. Why did you enabled it? It was never supported by OS/2 port of VBox. Only last builds contain some support for that, and only on OS/4 kernels!

> In regard to "Guru Meditation" - from your description I assume that it would be seen if you attempt to start VirtualBox.exe from an OS/2 window, and the program will not start at all. As that has not been the problem I have been experiencing, I'm not sure if running that test would give you any added information, but could try it if you wish.

The program will wtart, but itt will show a panic screen. The test has no relation with "Guru meditation" error, I only need to know if they fixed a hi-res timer error in your version of ACPI.PSD. As you're the first user I know having this version.

> There are 4 VBox.log files in the Windows XP \LOG subdirectory which have been generated and which I've attached below.

Thanks, but I only need the last one.

> * timerTest.html (6.44 kB - downloaded 6 times.)

This is some trash with javascript code (look into the file you attached). Please attach the text file with the test output

The Logs sent were before I switched off the AMD-VT. Now done. I did not see another log generated in the \LOG subdirectory but have seen a marked improvement in speed when I can get the WindowsXP VM to start.

So far, the start-up is still sporadic, but I have a couple of items I am looking into.

In regards to the timerTest file, I have attached a text version, below after running the test again, this time about 212 times.

Running a test start from an ArcaOS window session the VBOX window came up, but I noted no panic screen. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what was being requested Valery if you could provide an example of what a panic screen should look like i will see if one comes up

Best!

Mark

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2018, 01:48:18 am »
2Valery:

The screen shot is attached of what came up when I ran virtualbox.exe from an ArcaOS windowed session

Mark

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2018, 02:05:15 am »
2Dave Yeo: Thanks!

2Mark Szkolnicki:

> The Logs sent were before I switched off the AMD-VT. Now done. I did not see another log generated in the \LOG subdirectory but have seen a marked improvement in speed when I can get the WindowsXP VM to start.

Improvement in speed? Compared to what? AMD-V is disabled, so what improvement can be?

> So far, the start-up is still sporadic, but I have a couple of items I am looking into.

Sporadic? What do you mean? It starts only sometimes? What error? Any logs?

> Running a test start from an ArcaOS window session the VBOX window came up, but I noted no panic screen. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what was being requested Valery if you could provide an example of what a panic screen should look like i will see if one comes up

I don't expect any panic screen. No panic screen, according to your log.

So, what do you mean by "sporadic" startup?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2018, 02:46:59 am »
What I get on the first try is
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine mint.

The virtual machine 'mint' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {f30138d4-e5ea-4b3a-8858-a059de4c93fd}

Waiting a bit after this allows the virtual machine to start.
The log seems to use a different charset,
Log created: 2018-04-03T00:38:20.588000000Z
Executable: K:\VPC\VIRTUALBOX.EXE
K:\VPC\VirtualBox.exe kLIBC á--comment ámint á--startvm á43cabf9e-2003-43ea-a9e0-db4fa1156a6c á--no-startvm-errormsgbox

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2018, 03:59:24 am »
2Valery:

So, what do you mean by "sporadic" startup?

Actually when I refer to "sporadic" its exactly as Dave Yeo described, as per my, and other posts from both Dariusz and Roberto previously:

1) Start VirtualBox.exe
2) VirtualBox window comes up
3) Click on one of the VM's that have been created.
4) If no start-up of the VM occurs a window appears almost immediately with:

]Unknown error - 1018 during initialization of the runtime.

5) Clicking the "Abort"  button on the window above opens a second window, which says

Failed to open a session for the Virtual Machine "X" (where "X" is the name of the VM that was attempting to start)

Clicking the green arrow beside Details gives:

The virtual machine 'X' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {f30138d4-e5ea-4b3a-8858-a059de4c93fd}

The log generated at the time in the VirtualBox \BIN directory is as Dave also describes (mine was slightly different, as sent to you previously):

Log created: 2018-04-03T00:38:20.588000000Z
Executable: K:\VPC\VIRTUALBOX.EXE
K:\VPC\VirtualBox.exe kLIBC á--comment ámint á--startvm á43cabf9e-2003-43ea-a9e0-db4fa1156a6c á--no-startvm-errormsgbox

Having done testing a number of times this afternoon I agree with Dave that "waiting a bit" after the error message sometimes produces a start of the VM, but many times it does not. In fact, there is no consistency to what I've observed, as to when a VM will start up or not.

At least for me, I can get the VM's to start up more consistently with LIBCX 0.6.0 installed than under the experimental LIBCX 0.6.2, but that may just be my experience, not others.

> The Logs sent were before I switched off the AMD-VT. Now done. I did not see another log generated in the \LOG subdirectory but have seen a marked improvement in speed when I can get the WindowsXP VM to start.

Improvement in speed? Compared to what? AMD-V is disabled, so what improvement can be?

In regards to your other question, when the Windows XP VM has opened, when the AMD-V was enabled, rendering of the desktop was exceptionally slow (sometimes minutes for the desktop icons to appear) and clicking on folders to open also took sometimes minutes. After disabling that feature, the desktop seemed to open normally, and opening folders or other icons seemed to be a lot faster (seconds not minutes).

Just an observation and first impression, Sir. If we can get some way to consistently start VM sessions, I will try boots with the setting enabled and then disabled, to see if what I am observing is correct or not.

Mark