Author Topic: OS/2 Warp 3 Installation Issue  (Read 18756 times)

clh333

OS/2 Warp 3 Installation Issue
« on: March 23, 2018, 10:28:50 pm »
Hello to all.  I am a new member of this site but a long-time computer enthusiast. 

When OS/2 was first introduced I obtained a copy of Warp 3 but never succeeded in installing it.  Instead I stayed on the Microsoft path.

Recently I decided to try again.  I built a '586 AMD - based machine, VLB with SIS 471 chipset, 65 Mb memory, DTC 3274VL SCSI controller, SCSI HD and CD player, Microsoft serial mouse.  The machine will boot to MS-DOS.

My Warp installation materials consist of two 3.5-inch floppies and a CD.  I can run the floppies and get to the point of being instructed to insert the CD.  When I complete the installation from CD and am instructed to remove one floppy (the second) and insert the other (the first) installation hangs.

I'm doing something wrong but I don't know what.  People at the Vintage Computer Forum suggested that I ask here.  I would appreciate any suggestions you may have.

Thanks.

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
Re: OS/2 Warp 3 Installation Issue
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 11:08:12 pm »
When you get the OS/2 boot blob press ALT F2 key combination to see which driver its loading.
The fact that DOS boots is not a garentee that OS/2 will boot since DOS leans on the BIOS to run.
OS/2 uses its own drivers. Warp 3 is from 1994 I do not know if without updating the boot diskettes with new IDE driver etc. You can get this to boot. Warp 3 is to long ago for me, sorry.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 11:33:23 pm »
Do you have the drivers disk for the scsi card, it should have the OS/2 drivers on it.

You will then need to add that driver to Disk1 and edit the config.sys to include that driver and also add set copyfromfloppy=1 as the last item of the config.sys otherwise you get what you are seeing at the moment.

the set copyfromfloppy=1 tells the install program to copy all the drivers from the disk which includes the driver for your scsi adapter.  without that driver your cd will not work when the installer changes from DOS to OS/2.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 11:47:35 pm »
There are updated boot disks here, ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/fixes/v3.0warp/english-us/warpinst/warpinst.exe which might help.
Scsi drivers are here, http://www.os2site.com/sw/drivers/scsi/dtcscsi.zip. You might have to ask for a login to get them. Follow Ivan's advice to install them.

Often helps to do the minimal install at first, eg no sound card and once up and running, use selective install to add other stuff. Sometimes helps to go into your BIOS and make it as generic as possible by doing things like turning off the cache. Once installed you can turn them back on.
Let us know how it goes.

clh333

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 01:24:04 am »
Thank you all for your suggestions.  I will try them and let you know how it goes; I'll need a login first.

FWIW the DTC is (reportedly) register compatible with the Adaptec 154x, and OS/2 uses the Adaptec driver.

clh333

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 01:29:06 am »
Do you have the drivers disk for the scsi card, it should have the OS/2 drivers on it.

I have the driver disk, but it does not have OS/2 drivers on it,; only for DOS and Novell.  I have read that OS/2 uses the Adaptec 154x drivers instead.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 03:16:28 am »
I have read that OS/2 uses the Adaptec 154x drivers instead.
[/quote]

Have you tried installing with the Adaptec drivers?

clh333

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 12:37:05 pm »

Have you tried installing with the Adaptec drivers?

I am following the procedure as prompted by the installation routine.  I had thought that routine was inventorying the machine hardware and building a custom config.sys file as part of the installation.  If I could complete the installation I might inspect the config.sys file and verify there is a call to the adaptec driver, but I don't know how to manually install it.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 03:34:53 pm »
Having dug through my archives I have found a couple of drivers for the DTC card that may or may not work - they are stated to be for OS/2 v2 and later.

All I can say is to try them and see.

The final config.sys is built from the one on Disk 1 (the second install disk) and the information you give during the install process (this information is taken from the various screens that ask you about the equipment that makes up the computer).

To add any external driver you make a copy of Disk 1 and make changes to that.  Copy the driver you want to add to the copy of disk 1 (make room by deleting some of the redundant cd drivers, chincds1.add, hitcds1.add, lms206.add, mitfx001.add etc.  You must also remove the entries for all the drivers you delete from the config.sys.

While you are editing the congig sys add the driver you added to the disk to the basedev section and add set copyfromfloppy=1 as the last item of the config.sys.

Bogdan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2018, 05:34:45 pm »
The DTC 3274 VL seems to use a different chipset than the 3270VL. So there will be no luck with either the included Adaptec 1540 (AHA154X.ADD) nor the latest DTC (DTC3280.ADD) drivers. Perhaps it's a better idea to try the QLogic chipset drivers.

clh333

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2018, 05:55:44 pm »
Tried again today: Booted from floppies and halted at the point where I am prompted to insert the CD. Pressed F3 to get to a prompt. From the A: prompt I was able to move to the C: drive and inspect its contents, which looked like a pretty complete installation of OS/2. There were /OS2 and /IBMVESA and /PSFONTS directories. There was a lengthy CONFIG.SYS file with reference to the ADAPTEC154x.ADD driver; pretty much what you'd expect.

I created text files on a floppy, which I formatted with OS/2, of all these contents and then began installation again from a warm start and floppy A: installation diskette. I went all the way through the "easy" installation process, which proceeded as far as prompting me to remove the disk in drive A: and press ENTER. When I did so the machine performed another warm boot and got to the point shown below.

OS2 !! SYS01475
OS2 !! SYS02027

_

are displayed and the machine will boot no further.

Don't know why. Suggestions? Thanks.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2018, 06:29:01 pm »
The first sys message says that os2boot can't be found
The second says insert a system diskette and restart the system

Looking at your text files you are about half way through the install but the essential files OS2BOOT, OS2KRNL, OS2LDR, OS2LDR.MSG, OS2LOGO, OS2VER and possibly IBMLVL.INI (this is from memory) are missing.

In this situation you should go back and start over using the advanced install.  When you get to the FDISK page format the HD with HPFS file system  and continue from there.

I am most probably forgetting/missing some things it has been a very long time since I installed warp 3 and that was the connect version.  I might have a HD from one of those installs somewhere in the garage but even if I could find it I don't think it would be much help.

Bogdan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2018, 08:19:53 pm »
OS2 !! SYS01475
OS2 !! SYS02027

Don't know why. Suggestions? Thanks.
It seems the installation routine utilised IBMINT13.I13 as a fall-back. But without information about the capacity of the hard drive and the partition scheme everything is vague.

The generic procedure should be:

1. Make a copy of the second disk (called "Diskette 1")
2. Put the correct ADD driver to this disk
3. Modify the CONFIG.SYS so that the first two lines contain:

SET COPYFROMFLOPPY=1
BASEDEV=QL40OS2.ADD /V

4. Use the modified "Diskette 1" for local installation

clh333

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2018, 04:16:52 pm »
The first sys message says that os2boot can't be found
The second says insert a system diskette and restart the system

Looking at your text files you are about half way through the install but the essential files OS2BOOT, OS2KRNL, OS2LDR, OS2LDR.MSG, OS2LOGO, OS2VER and possibly IBMLVL.INI (this is from memory) are missing.

In this situation you should go back and start over using the advanced install.  When you get to the FDISK page format the HD with HPFS file system  and continue from there.

I returned to the installation this morning and began anew with Installation Diskette, followed by Diskette1, followed by the CD.  I came to the installation type and selected "Advanced".  I opted to run FDISK from there. Attached images illustrate what I found at that point:

PartnBad1.jpg shows the screen presented as soon as FDISK opened.  As you can see there is a warning about a corrupted partition table. 
PartnBad2 shows that my only option was to delete the partition. 
PartnBad3 shows the screen after exiting from FDISK.  Having deleted the partition I had no other option but to restart.
PartnBad4 shows the message that was displayed after restarting, loading from ID, D1 and CD.  I repeated the reboot.
PartnBad5 shows the message that was displayed after a second restart, loading from ID, D1 and CD.  At this point I am in an endless loop and shut down the machine.

I think I need to run FDISK independently of the installation process.  How would I do that?  Alternately I could run DOS FDISK or FreeDOS FDISK but I'm not sure that would help.  I could also wipe the drive with KILLDISK.

What do you recommend?  Follow Bogdan's procedure first?

Thanks for your replies.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2018, 06:07:31 pm »
The main thing is that it is seeing your hard disk.

Now to try and fix the problem.  go to http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/h-browse.php?dir=/pub/incoming/ and download dfsee150.zip and use that to make a bootable dos floppy, boot with that floppy and use dfsee to write a new MBR and delete the old partition tables.  It should then allow you to use the advanced install fdisk to setup the HD as you want it and after a reboot the install should proceed as normal.

Note:  It is also possible to use dfsee to setup the partitions on the HD.  If you do then there must be one partition marked as 'startable'.

If you have added or removed any drivers to Disk 1 then you must edit the config.sys to reflect that and set copyfromfloppy=1 should be the last item if you have added any driver otherwise that driver will not be copied to the HD.