Author Topic: David's Doodles  (Read 194460 times)

xynixme

Re: David's Doodles
« Reply #135 on: September 11, 2019, 01:36:28 pm »
Oh, all of my icons are off-topic. Originally I did use 2 colors for the Tesseract OCR icon file, but then pixel-ratio's of the top blue square seemed less good. Hence the mix of 256 and less than 256 colors (the larger PNG files, for example). I may use yours; apparently I was overdoing it a little bit.

I noticed I should perhaps improve my 8 bpp Njam ones (unintentional white edges, dark background) too...

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 11, 2019, 05:36:03 pm »
Oh, all of my icons are off-topic. Originally I did use 2 colors for the Tesseract OCR icon file, but then pixel-ratio's of the top blue square seemed less good. Hence the mix of 256 and less than 256 colors (the larger PNG files, for example). I may use yours; apparently I was overdoing it a little bit.

I noticed I should perhaps improve my 8 bpp Njam ones (unintentional white edges, dark background) too...
I made another one similar to yours.  However, I had to make it 24 bit due to all the detail I put in.

xynixme

« Reply #137 on: September 12, 2019, 11:22:55 am »
Is this an upgrade/improvement of the previous 24-bit Njam icon? I don't mind having two, but I can delete the first copy if it's an upgrade instead of a second version.

FTR: mine was based on the single original 32x32 icon. I'll have to look at improving all other sizes.

Is there a generic "trick", method or way to avoid or repair "white" edges when a darker background is used (or when the background is white, but the icon is selected via the WPS)? I don't mind having to look at the level of individual pixels, but getting that right manually can be quite hard. After all 40x40 comes down to a maximum of 1600 pixels. I do understand what's causing the white edges, but I cannot think of a simple solution to reduce the number of "wrong" pixels.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 12, 2019, 01:25:03 pm »
Is this an upgrade/improvement of the previous 24-bit Njam icon? I don't mind having two, but I can delete the first copy if it's an upgrade instead of a second version.

FTR: mine was based on the single original 32x32 icon. I'll have to look at improving all other sizes.

Is there a generic "trick", method or way to avoid or repair "white" edges when a darker background is used (or when the background is white, but the icon is selected via the WPS)? I don't mind having to look at the level of individual pixels, but getting that right manually can be quite hard. After all 40x40 comes down to a maximum of 1600 pixels. I do understand what's causing the white edges, but I cannot think of a simple solution to reduce the number of "wrong" pixels.

They are actually two separate icons.  When you stated you needed to clean yours up, I attempted to make an icon similar to yours in color and design, but bigger. 

The WPS renders OS/2 icons with a dark interior and a lighter edge as white around the edge.  Also, I lot of time while resizing icons, there is a lot of white or light grey colors.  That is why I prefer PNGs over the OS/2 icons.  The PNGs render much better.  That being said, when making my OS/2 icons, I have to go into each icon size and remove the light edges.  As a result, I usually create the various sized PNGs using a Windows program, and use its transparency tool to fix the edges, and then use PMView  in ArcaOS to copy the PNG images to the correct size in the OS/2 icon.  Circles are easy.  I use the transparency tool to make a circle without any interior to remove the light colored edges.

xynixme

« Reply #139 on: September 12, 2019, 03:16:03 pm »
They are actually two separate icons.  When you stated you needed to clean yours up, I attempted to make an icon similar to yours in color and design, but bigger.

The PNGs render much better.  That being said, when making my OS/2 icons, I have to go into each icon size and remove the light edges.  As a result, I usually create the various sized PNGs using a Windows program, and use its transparency tool to fix the edges, and then use PMView in ArcaOS to copy the PNG images to the correct size in the OS/2 icon.

Two by you, one by me: three. Is your earlier njam_24bit.ICO now replaced by your Njam3.ICO? If so, then I just have to delete my copy of njam_24bit.ICO. Otherwise I'll keep all 3. There may be more apps which require 87.5% of a pizza.

Thank you. In this case I was trying to avoid a few badly rendered pixels (32x32 -> 40x40), but because of my usually white folder backgrounds I noticed having added even more "bad" pixels later. One of the tests now will be using PNG first. And a darker test background. I don't mind having to edit pixels, but not as many pixels as possible.

BTW, one of my earlier 80x80 PNG files was based on an original icon, but found in a different package of the same author. If nobody can find that original icon I've claimed to use for a new 128x128 PNG file, then try "related legacy products" of the same source. If you are known for an "EditIcon" package which can deal with Windows icons too, then a "EditWinIco.ZIP" could be a different, "related legacy product". The source of one of my 80x80s, between page 5 and this page, was found that way. Sorry, hard to explain. I've found the icon of "EditIcon" in some related, older, ..., "EditWinIco.ZIP" package. Same source, different package. Probably at github, maybe sourceforge.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 12, 2019, 03:32:26 pm »

The PNGs render much better.  That being said, when making my OS/2 icons, I have to go into each icon size and remove the light edges.  As a result, I usually create the various sized PNGs using a Windows program, and use its transparency tool to fix the edges, and then use PMView in ArcaOS to copy the PNG images to the correct size in the OS/2 icon.

Two by you, one by me: three. Is your earlier njam_24bit.ICO now replaced by your Njam3.ICO? If so, then I just have to delete my copy of njam_24bit.ICO. Otherwise I'll keep all 3. There may be more apps which require 87.5% of a pizza.

Andre, use the latter icon.  I can include the first icon in my icon package when I update it.  Someone may want to use it for something else.

xynixme

« Reply #141 on: September 15, 2019, 08:03:27 am »
use the latter icon. I can include the first icon in my icon package when I update it.  Someone may want to use it for something else.
Thank you; then I'll keep the first one too (because the second one is not an update). From a file management point of view, to not introduce several versions while you've got one.

xynixme

« Reply #142 on: September 15, 2019, 07:50:17 pm »
Text2PDF (drop target) (TEXT2PDF.CMD)

"Solved". By using Text/2 PDF's executable, which has an own icon, instead of a Rexx drop target and text2pdf.

xynixme

« Reply #143 on: September 17, 2019, 03:00:31 pm »
An update of the Njam ones, as announced earlier. No more grey beards when the background is darker. All are based on the original, single 32x32 icon. Goals remained a slightly better looking 40x40 icon, and folder icons to reduce the number of default folder icons in use by one. Not pixel-perfect, but an improvement.

I've looked at using PNG, but didn't end up using it. As usual I've used ICONEDIT.EXE to create the folder icons, by using it's sticky selection of pixels (select the pixels you want to replace, switch to the donor image in the list, and select again to select exactly the same, right donor pixels without having to record or remember coordinates and/or sizes).

Again no request, but perhaps e.g. the file WIN1.JPG in a directory of Njam can be used for a 3-D PNG icon. That'll require the removal of text, so there may be better or easier alternatives. All other original Njam artwork is mainly 32x32'ish-sized only, including a 32x32 *.ICNS icon file.

xynixme

« Reply #144 on: September 18, 2019, 12:12:30 pm »
An original 32x32 icon, which doesn't look that great IMhO, for the game 2Pong.

xynixme

« Reply #145 on: September 19, 2019, 02:36:03 am »
eCS-style folder icon files for the game SDLZombies.

Edit: updated attachment.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 02:53:10 am by André Heldoorn »

xynixme

« Reply #146 on: September 19, 2019, 12:19:22 pm »
An original 128x128 icon file of Formido. It's a background of the game. Smaller sizes are available, but e.g. not 40x40 nor 80x80, so one may as well recreate those. Another original (Windows) icon file, size 32x32, is probably included in the OS/2 distribution as ICON.ICO.

xynixme

« Reply #147 on: September 20, 2019, 10:52:23 pm »
Icon files (*.ICO and 80x80 *.PNG) and eCS-style folder icon files (*.ICO) for: Scrabble / word games / Wordfeut / ...

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 21, 2019, 08:38:13 am »
Any bored PNG doodlers could create new skins for Doodles Pretty Clock, http://www.edm2.com/index.php/Creating_modules_for_Doodle's_Screen_Saver_-_Part_3.

xynixme

« Reply #149 on: September 21, 2019, 12:20:31 pm »
Updated Scrabble folder icon files.