Author Topic: David's Doodles  (Read 194423 times)

David Graser

• View Profile
Re: David's Doodles
« Reply #180 on: October 04, 2019, 09:42:24 am »
Dave

The bouncing padlock screensaver.  Can the lock be replaced with a different graphic and if so, is it a OS/2 icon, bitmap or PNG?   If an OS/2 icon, can it be replaced with a bitmap or PNG?

xynixme

« Reply #181 on: October 04, 2019, 03:02:40 pm »
I'll look at Access 2.0's too.

Here is it. Only 32x32 (original) and 40x40 (new) again, mainly to not make the background look like some bar code. It's a mix of several images.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 04, 2019, 04:33:52 pm »
Dave

The bouncing padlock screensaver.  Can the lock be replaced with a different graphic and if so, is it a OS/2 icon, bitmap or PNG?   If an OS/2 icon, can it be replaced with a bitmap or PNG?

It's just a bmp, Padlock.bmp. It's added to the DLL as a resource so likely has to stay as a bitmap.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 04, 2019, 08:27:46 pm »
It's just a bmp, Padlock.bmp. It's added to the DLL as a resource so likely has to stay as a bitmap.

Why not just make a new screensaver, and leave the old ones alone?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 05, 2019, 01:37:06 am »

Why not just make a new screensaver, and leave the old ones alone?

So far we've just added skins to the Pretty Clock module, none of which have been committed yet. I am inclined to swap some of David's work with the originals as they do look much better and the rest can be packaged separately. They're easy to add to an install.
As for the Padlock, that was made, with these instructions, http://www.edm2.com/index.php/Creating_modules_for_Doodle's_Screen_Saver_-_Part_2 from eCSBall. I also made the ArcaOS one from the eCSBall.
Don't know what David is thinking of doing with the padlock, wouldn't hurt to swap in a better bitmap or make a new module.

xynixme

« Reply #185 on: October 07, 2019, 05:20:55 am »
Folder icons for ColEm/2, a ColecoVision emulator. The icon files are based on the quite dark, but nevertheless unchanged original ColEm/2 icon.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 05:25:24 am by André Heldoorn »

xynixme

« Reply #186 on: October 07, 2019, 07:33:30 am »
And folder icons for BackAgain/2000.

xynixme

« Reply #187 on: October 08, 2019, 03:24:24 am »
I am kind of hoping for translations as well :)

Okay, albeit I'm not using it. Some minor space-related fixes w.r.t. SS_NL.HLP and SS_NL.MSG, in smaller chunks. No credits please:

Replace "cherm beveilig" by "schermbeveilig" (removal of the space).
Replace "achtwoord beveilig" by "achtwoordbeveilig" (removal of the space).

Sometimes it's already good. like "Schermbeveiligingsmodules' in the MSG file. In general they'll often have translated two words (password protection). In Dutch that may imply safer passwords (password protection) instead of protection by using a password (passwordprotection).

The rather long HLP file subject "Het instellen van de taal van de scherm beveiliging", almost French with lots of "de la" and "du" (the setting of the language of the screen protection), can be replaced by the shorter "Instellen schermbeveiligingstaal" (set screenprotection'slanguage). Or, perhaps better, "Instellen taal schermbeveiliging" (set(ting the) language (of the) screen protection). Or just "Instellen taal", set language, if that;'s clear enough. If screen protection is "screen protector", then replace 'schermbeveiliging" by "schermbeveiliger" ("Instellen taal schermbeveiliger"). Setting the language of the screen protecting software. That may be the best match, but that's unverified.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 03:29:18 am by André Heldoorn »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 08, 2019, 04:55:13 am »
I am kind of hoping for translations as well :)

Okay, albeit I'm not using it. Some minor space-related fixes w.r.t. SS_NL.HLP and SS_NL.MSG, in smaller chunks. No credits please:

Replace "cherm beveilig" by "schermbeveilig" (removal of the space).

This is actually "scherm beveiliger", should it still be "schermbeveilig"?

Replace "achtwoord beveilig" by "achtwoordbeveilig" (removal of the space).
Likewise, this is actually "Wachtwoord beveiliging", should it be  "achtwoordbeveilig" Also I find "wachtwoord beveiligingsvenster" and "wachtwoord beveiligd" Perhaps I should attach the IPF.

Sometimes it's already good. like "Schermbeveiligingsmodules' in the MSG file. In general they'll often have translated two words (password protection). In Dutch that may imply safer passwords (password protection) instead of protection by using a password (passwordprotection).

The rather long HLP file subject "Het instellen van de taal van de scherm beveiliging", almost French with lots of "de la" and "du" (the setting of the language of the screen protection), can be replaced by the shorter "Instellen schermbeveiligingstaal" (set screenprotection'slanguage). Or, perhaps better, "Instellen taal schermbeveiliging" (set(ting the) language (of the) screen protection). Or just "Instellen taal", set language, if that;'s clear enough. If screen protection is "screen protector", then replace 'schermbeveiliging" by "schermbeveiliger" ("Instellen taal schermbeveiliger"). Setting the language of the screen protecting software. That may be the best match, but that's unverified.

Thanks, I'll attach the IPF due to confusion as mentioned above.
Also I added NLS support to CairoShapes and currently only have a Spanish translation, I'll attach the simple en.msg, both in a zip.

xynixme

« Reply #189 on: October 08, 2019, 03:16:15 pm »
This is actually "scherm beveiliger", should it still be "schermbeveilig"?

Likewise, this is actually "Wachtwoord beveiliging", should it be  "achtwoordbeveilig" Also I find "wachtwoord beveiligingsvenster" and "wachtwoord beveiligd" Perhaps I should attach the IPF.

Thanks, I'll attach the IPF due to confusion as mentioned above. Also I added NLS support to CairoShapes and currently only have a Spanish translation, I'll attach the simple en.msg, both in a zip.

No, it's a case-sensitive binary replacement string which accounts for both "Schem..." and "scherm". And for all suffixes. A simple search & replace will do, without having to touch any other character. As discussed recently in a browser name-thread, -er works the same in several languages anyway. Protect, protecter. Just replace all occurances of "cherm beveilig" by "chermbeveilig".

Same. It will fix more than it will brake. "wachtwoordbeveiligingsvenster" is okay, and so is "wachtwoordbeveiligd". The "s" between "beveiliging" and "venster" is the same "s" as yours. hers, his, Tom's. An alternative is "venster (of the) wachtwoordbeveiliging". Just replace the text as instructed, without touching any another characters. Case-insensitive ("cherm Beveilig"  -> "chermbeveilig"). Delete the space; don't change "screener" to "creen". Do keep wrapping lines in mind ("screen0D0Aprotection" instead of "screen20protection").

You'll be able to search & replace w.r.t. the on-topic file. I'll look at the other one later, and wouldn't mind some translation requests-thread with a few sentences or words, with context, per day. In the case of Doodle's we're talking about a full manual, of a product which I'm not using. Hence the restriction. Extra spaces are occuring quite a few times, without having to review (and possibly discuss) a full manual.

xynixme

« Reply #190 on: October 08, 2019, 03:59:45 pm »
I'll attach the simple en.msg, both in a zip.

A candidate for a translation requests-thread, despite of the fact that the MSG file may be compiled. So simple, that Google gets it right, albeit in Dutch you'd use the rather detailed fixed expression "shapes AND figures" less often.

English: Cairo Shapes
Dutch: unchanged, copied or borrowed words. "Cairo shapes" (not uppercasing each word) would be overdoing it.

English: Shows different colorful shapes and figures.
Dutch: Toont verschillende kleurrijke vormen en figuren. Assuming a context of ("Dave's solution now ) Shows different ...".

Here the important full linguistic context is missing: "Using the Cairo library.", and it may be easier to replace "library" by "DLL" because the isolated last "L" isn't the first character of a Dutch bibliotheek. In IBM's Dutch (source: OS MSG file) DLLs are "dynamic-link-modules", but you aren't using the word module in English.

xynixme

« Reply #191 on: October 09, 2019, 09:11:41 am »
An update, of the 3 *.ICO files (folder closed, folder opened, NConvert.EXE) only.
Oops, this is a hard one. With a bad monitor it still doesn't look alright...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 02:01:53 pm by André Heldoorn »

xynixme

« Reply #192 on: October 09, 2019, 02:16:22 pm »
English: Shows different colorful shapes and figures.
Dutch: Toont verschillende kleurrijke vormen en figuren. Assuming a context of ("Dave's solution now ) Shows different ...".

Here the important full linguistic context is missing: "Using the Cairo library."

Google's German translation, one of the eCS languages, seems to be right too: Zeigt verschiedene farbenfrohe Formen und Figuren..

What's the context of the MSG text "Using the Cairo library."?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 09, 2019, 04:45:46 pm »
Cairo is the library that takes care of the drawing, similar to PDF or PS. It is also the library that draws Mozilla excepting the frame and widgets. https://www.cairographics.org/
Strictly speaking, library is more accurate then DLL, which is a type of library, Dynamically Linked Library.

xynixme

« Reply #194 on: October 09, 2019, 05:44:28 pm »
I do mean the (missing) context of the text to be translated. It can be a header of a manual, it can be a banner, it can be an error text, and so on.

Do you have a matching sentence, i.e. context, or otherwise a technical context? Translating is not just a matter of translating words. The context should make clear how to interpret the specific text, when there may be mote than one match. The word "Using" may be more difficult than "library".

For the L of the DLL I'll probably use IBM's translation ("module"). In OS/2's Dutch a library is what you'll find in the x:\OS2\HELP subdirectory. To show a case where context could matter, "HELP LIBPATH" produces (translated):

dynalink-library
DLL-module
DLL
DLL-file

OSO001H.MSG contains (I didn't check the whole file):

module
dynamic-link-module

So almost a library of choices, but the point is that the option "library" is missing. Dynalink-library occurs twice, but that's a rather unusual word. Anyway, I want context of the whole  "Using ..."-part. To avoid the introduction of animals when it's raining cats and dogs in English, while it's raining pipe handles in Dutch. For example, embed it in a sentence or story. Like "(I am) Using (the) ... library (at the moment)". Or "(Manual, Chapter 2,) Using ...". The clarifying context may influence what's right, or better.