Author Topic: David's Doodles  (Read 193278 times)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: David's Doodles
« Reply #195 on: October 09, 2019, 06:17:00 pm »
Well the Cairo clock's translation is 'MOD_DESC="Tijd en huidige datum.\nMet gebruik van de Cairo bibliotheek.";'  Might be best

xynixme

« Reply #196 on: October 10, 2019, 07:39:14 pm »
Met gebruik van de Cairo bibliotheek."

That's "By using (of) the Cairo library".

May I suggest "Met gebruikmaking van de Cairo library.", to respect the context and to borrow the word library (as a part of the more common L of DLL)?

You'd use "met gebruikmaking van" (by making use of) like: "I'm not a programmer, but I'm recompiling Quicky by using Smedley's build environment". I didn't see your other text ("Tijd en ...") with an editor.

I don't know how the Germans would translate library. "Erstellt mit der Cairo ..."?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 08:00:27 pm by André Heldoorn »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 11, 2019, 02:24:25 am »
Met gebruik van de Cairo bibliotheek."

Which seems accurate.

May I suggest "Met gebruikmaking van de Cairo library.", to respect the context and to borrow the word library (as a part of the more common L of DLL)?

You'd use "met gebruikmaking van" (by making use of) like: "I'm not a programmer, but I'm recompiling Quicky by using Smedley's build environment". I didn't see your other text ("Tijd en ...") with an editor.

bibliotheek is only for books? Don't forget that libraries don't have to be a DLL. There's static libraries, which can use a program (AR) that can be called a librarian for creating the table of contents and X11 device drivers are shared libraries like *nix uses

I don't know how the Germans would translate library. "Erstellt mit der Cairo ..."?

Christian Hennecke translated it as, "Verwendet die Bibliothek Cairo."  Christian is a programmer so likely understands programming libraries.

xynixme

« Reply #198 on: October 11, 2019, 12:12:57 pm »

Which seems accurate.

bibliotheek is only for books?

Christian Hennecke translated it as, "Verwendet die Bibliothek Cairo."  Christian is a programmer so likely understands programming libraries.

Seems. "Met gebruikmaking van" (fixed expression, by using) and "gebruik van" (using) can (!) be as different as using drugs to chemically enhance your paint (applied usage), and using (consuming) drugs to paint.

Still yes, in IBM OS/2's Dutch. Again, just use "library", if anything to not introduce even more unusual words with the same technical meaning. Programmers will know what you mean. The Germs are more likely to translate words, while the cloggies can rightfully claim in the highest percentage of people in the EU with English as a second language. In OS/2 a bibliotheek is what you'll find in x:\OS2\HELP.

Google will translate "Verwendet die Bibliothek Cairo" as "maakt gebruik van de bibliotheek Cairo". The full context is still missing, so I don't know if "Using the Cairo libary" should be translated as "Met gebruikmaking van de Cairo library" or the slightly lesser "Maakt gebruikt van de Cairo library". The context still is key:

"(This is created) Met gebruikmaking van de Cairo library.", or "(It) Maakt gebruikt van de Cairo library." (not a proper sentence without something representing the "ït").

So don't be afraid to not translate "library", and next time please provide a context...  ;) Without a context we're still discussing a very simple text. Screenshot, sample sentence, ...

Christian's "verwendet" and "die Bïbliothek" seem okay. Verwendet also because it supports my "gebuikmaking"-proposal(s), and I cannot confirm nor deny that a German OS/2 refers to a library as a "Bibliothek". With a Dutch OS/2 a "bibliotheek" is a collection of digital books, while a "library"avoids all technical and linguistic discussions. Earlier I've translated something related to xCenter here, where you may have noticed that I hardly had to change anything. And there the context of (the unverifiable) "any CPU" was important. Pick any number (if it's 4 you'll win), any number is right, ...

Context, context, context. Some English words may even have an opposite meaning, in English. In this case you can see that "Gebruik van" as a source is wrong, because Christian guessed (or assumed, or verified) you meant "Met gebruikmaking van". Context, context, context. Not the possible error(s) of an existing word-by-word-by-word translation.

xynixme

« Reply #199 on: October 13, 2019, 02:06:36 pm »
The NConvert ones are harder than expected, and need more work. With a bad monitor it still doesn't look alright... ???

Meanwhile here's a 128x128 PNG icon file for ScummVM, based on the 512x512 original icon file.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 02:09:27 pm by André Heldoorn »

xynixme

« Reply #200 on: October 14, 2019, 05:17:38 am »
The NConvert ones are harder than expected

BTW: as stated earlier, there is no such thing as an original NConvert icon. There is an alternative, their XnConvert icon, but that's a different product. Difficulties have nothing to do with the center of the styled eye, so I'll continue to use their generic logo. Nevertheless here's XnConvert's, FWIW:

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 14, 2019, 06:16:14 pm »
The NConvert ones are harder than expected

BTW: as stated earlier, there is no such thing as an original NConvert icon. There is an alternative, their XnConvert icon, but that's a different product. Difficulties have nothing to do with the center of the styled eye, so I'll continue to use their generic logo. Nevertheless here's XnConvert's, FWIW:

FWIW, I attempted the two os/2 icons. One is 24 bit and the other is 8 bit.

xynixme

« Reply #202 on: October 16, 2019, 01:21:23 pm »
And a fixed, alternative NConvert icon file. If you have installed the NConvert WarpIN package, then copy any of the NConvert.ICO files to the directory of NCONVERT.EXE. Optionally assign the earlier folder icons to the folder of NConvert.

Icons can be mixed. Then the folder icon represents their brand or whole family of products, and the EXE's icon represents whatever you prefer: the family of products (wrong), or the different product XnConvert (wrong too). At 40x40 and smaller David's may work better. Mainly due to less original details, and it's not trying to look like a styled eye that hard.

In the end I first changed the transparent pixels to a color which somehow matched the preferred color of the border better, before resizing, which was easier to undo and fix than software interpreting transparency as white pixels.

xynixme

« Reply #203 on: October 16, 2019, 02:32:45 pm »
BTW, some of the Toolkit v4.52's icons look bad at 40x40 (OS/2 Sample Programs-folder). FWIW.

PM$tock's icon was a surprise too. 128x128, but possibly the worst resolution to view it. Rendered at 40x40 it's actually not that bad, but otherwise a weird and ugly mix of a detailed bar chart (volume), the text "DJI" drawn by hand, and too much green and transparent paint used to draw a line. As if it was designed to be rendered. I'll attach an ICONEDIT.EXE screenshot, for entertainment purposes only.

@David, you stated that circles were easy with your tools. Can you post 4, please? Width of the circle 40, 32, 20 and 16. Outlined or filled. If the color matters, then it's very dark brown. Almost black. I've got a 18x18 image source (BALL.PCX of the game Rebound), which is a 16x16 ball with a border. I want to use the shape of "perfect" circles, to compensate for the low-res look of the game. I can enlarge the ball myself, e.g. from 16x16 to 40x40, and next use the circles as a "paste target". I'll attach the 16x16 ball (with its border), but I'm willing to copy & paste myself.

@David/2, regarding circles and WhoIs: would it be possible to combine a plain-jain globe (simpler than the attached sample image, and without details like network connections) with a slightly larger interrobang character(s) to replace the question mark, mainly for size 40x40!? The question mark of the attached sample image doesn't work at 40x40. When we get rid of the global network connection, then the interrobang character(s) may express the "wtf ru!?". I like the concept, an unusual 3D globe with network connections and a 3D'ish ?-button, but there are too... many... details for 40x40. For one we may need a larger ?, and we may not be able to keep using the connections. Instead of the interrobang character(s) a black silhouette of a human spy may work too, as the background of a question mark.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 02:40:45 pm by André Heldoorn »

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 18, 2019, 02:56:44 am »
Hi Andre

I was out of town for a couple of days.  Got back today.  Then the power button on my computer broke.  I will have to remember not to turn my computer off.  I may not get it up again.

Did two whois icons.  The original and another one with the question mark modified.  I tried the interrobang.  I could not get it to look good at the same sizes.

I have attached the rings also with the icons.  You can always change it to the color you need.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 18, 2019, 05:01:45 am »
A quickly made rebound icon.

xynixme

« Reply #206 on: October 18, 2019, 01:54:07 pm »
Regarding 80 and/or 128: I'm not using ArcaOS nor eCS 2.x, but at https://www.arcanoae.com/shop/arcaos-5-commercial-edtion I noticed that it has "Scalable desktop icons, up to 128×128(, based on popular Linux desktop themes).". If possible, available and relevant I'll try to use 128x128 and the AOS naming convention ("lowercase_128px.png"). I don't know if 128x128 will be scaled down to 80x80, but 128x128 is the advertized supported size indeed.

Rebound (REBOUND.EXE)

Wow! Solved, by David's (who may now be busy creating a backup :-\).

I'll change my inferior, lesser, pathetic file's number to 2. Which is just the game's small 16x16 brown ball artwork, enlarged by using the consistency and quality of the simple rings. Those rings were more productive and useful than expected by me. Counting or recording numbers of pixels, versus guessing rendered pixels and matching inconsistencies. I'll keep the rings (/ dark ball). It helps.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 02:08:58 pm by André Heldoorn »

xynixme

« Reply #207 on: October 18, 2019, 02:16:10 pm »
another one with the question mark modified.  I tried the interrobang.  I could not get it to look good at the same sizes.

Excellent. I was fearing a new globe. I guess I like this one because the colors of the globe aren't trying to be realistic, so it's more clear that you are not looking for something related to geography, and the modified question mark improves the quality at 40x40. I already noticed the original one was too bright/white at 40x40, at least with some monitors.

xynixme

« Reply #208 on: October 18, 2019, 05:03:55 pm »
Folder icons, based on David's modified question mark-theme, for a WhoIs folder.

And two icons for Microsoft Office (MSOFFICE.EXE, a Win-OS/2 toolbar) and Microsoft Organization Chart (ORGCHART.EXE). Only the size 40x40 is new.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 05:12:49 pm by André Heldoorn »

xynixme

« Reply #209 on: October 20, 2019, 05:48:43 pm »
A forgotten category: a few system-related utilities. Here's a quick one for S.M.A.R.T. monitor, size 128x128 only.