Author Topic: Firefox and Traps  (Read 57246 times)

Ben

Firefox and Traps
« on: March 25, 2018, 09:58:54 pm »
I recently developed a problem with Firefox, (any version).

It has something to do with DIVE.DLL, but I have no idea what is happening here.

If I start the program the profile manager will popup but when any profile is selected, (or when trying to create a new one), Firefox exits leveling a Trap file.

Here is a snippet from it;

Code: [Select]

Exception Report - created 2018/03/25 16:17:04

OS2/eCS Version:  2.45
 # of Processors:  4
 Physical Memory:  3582 mb
 Virt Addr Limit:  3072 mb
 Exceptq Version:  7.10 (Mar  1 2011)

Exception C0000005 - Access Violation

Process:  E:\FIREFOX\FIREFOX.EXE
 PID:      12D (301)
 TID:      01 (1)
 Priority: 200

Filename: C:\MMOS2\DLL\DIVE.DLL
 Address:  005B:134CC58B (0001:0000C58B)
 Cause:    Attempted to read from 185E2BD0
           (uncommitted memory allocated by PMMERGE)

I have looked for *.dll conflicts, but I have found nothing.

I have attached the full Trap log if anyone is interested.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Firefox and Traps
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 10:38:15 pm »
Try setting MOZ_ACCELERATED=0. Simplest is to test with a cmd prompt, set MOZ_ACCELERATED=0 and then from the same session, run firefox.exe (or the run! equivalent).
If it helps, you need to go into the firefox settings and disable video acceleration.
ps, these trp files are more informative if you install the debug packages.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 01:09:13 am »
I noticed my

d:\home\mozilla\firefox\profiles\pmhqn8zi.default\cache2\entries

has 25,502 files.  Are all these files necessary or can I delete them? 

PMseek and other search engines bog down when they hit this directory.

David

Ben

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 01:58:25 am »
Try setting MOZ_ACCELERATED=0. Simplest is to test with a cmd prompt, set MOZ_ACCELERATED=0 and then from the same session, run firefox.exe (or the run! equivalent).
If it helps, you need to go into the firefox settings and disable video acceleration.

I tried that Dave and it did make a difference; it went on to the Check Addons screen, but no further.
Also, it no longer made my mouse pointer disappear; before it did every second time I tried to run Firefox.

I attached the Trap log.

Two questions:

-Is "run!" still required?

- Which "debug packages" would I need?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 02:32:30 am »
I noticed my

d:\home\mozilla\firefox\profiles\pmhqn8zi.default\cache2\entries

has 25,502 files.  Are all these files necessary or can I delete them? 

PMseek and other search engines bog down when they hit this directory.

David

Go to Tools-->Options-->Advanced-->Cached Web Content and clear your cache there and also change the size to a smaller value.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 02:38:18 am »

I tried that Dave and it did make a difference; it went on to the Check Addons screen, but no further.
That doesn't sound good.

Also, it no longer made my mouse pointer disappear; before it did every second time I tried to run Firefox.

I attached the Trap log.

Two questions:

-Is "run!" still required?
It depends on whether you're running the latest and whether you're running more then one Mozilla app. The latest isn't widely available yet. Your crash isn't related to run!

- Which "debug packages" would I need?
[/color]

Depends on where you got your Firefox. Generally it is available at the same place, probably Github. For libc and nspr, they're available with ANPM.

Did you change/update anything? You could also test by trying SeaMonkey.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 02:58:05 am »
What happens when you run: 'firefox.exe -safe-mode'?

This will attempt to disable all add-ons (in case there is a problem there) and just brings up the default FF config.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 03:38:12 am »
Ben

Have you checked out this web page.  They do a pretty good job of explaining and telling one everything they need to be successful.

http://ecsoft2.org/firefox

I remember you said you use eCS 2.2 beta.

This is the site if you want to download and use Arca Noae Package Manager:

http://ecsoft2.org/anpm-arca-noae-package-manager

« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 10:52:53 am by David Graser »

Ben

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 12:56:55 pm »
Right now I am playing with Firefox 45.9.0 GA, (2017-10-04). But it does this with all versions of Firefox which leads me to believe that something I did or changed two weeks ago is interferring with it loading. But I'll be damned if I can find whatever that is.

It took me a while to do it, but I did manage to get the base install of YUM/RPM to actually work beyond the initial install and update; like most people using OS/2 or some variant, I had my own way of handling *.dlls; I really had no choice but to conform to the YUM/RPM method of doing things to get some programs working and cooperating.

Right now, Arca Noae YUM install works fine, (though it took quite a bit of effort to get there), and indicates all is loving and caring in the world... of OS/2 hehe, (certainly not on the global scene where Empire-buidling is rampant and roaring under the obvious guise of "spreading democracy" & "peacekeeping"). So, it seems likely that all DLL requirements are met for the version that I referenced above. I did follow the RPM_REQUIREMENTS file included with the package and until just recently, it wouldn't even attempt to load but only produced a XUL.DLL error popup window; but fixing YUM fixed that.

Arca Noae's YUM package checks for duplicates and olders versions when installing a dll(s) so that should not be an issue here... though I am not sure that I can rule that out entirely. I think that the important clue is that it affects all variants of Firefox. However, I had no idea that there was anything that could do that yet, not affect anything else on my system; it's a real puzzler, it has even stopped the ancient and early version of Firefox from running, even from 2011. Clearly something is in conflict with something else or somehow, something has been inadvertantly deleted. But how would I even begin to check if some obscure base OS file/dll has been deleted? Right now, I do not have another working version of OS/2 on this machine to compare it with. If all else fails, that will be my next goal and I will work from there... but right now that's a  lot of work when time is tight. I actually had to lower my standards and use Windoze to type this post; my, how times have changed.

I will check out that site David. Maybe I can find a clue there.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 12:59:18 pm by Ben »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 05:58:37 am »
It seems strange. Be nice to see a proper trp file.
Possibilities include a corrupted DLL, shouldn't be to many possibilities as it affects so many versions of Firefox. You could try reinstalling all the Firefox requirements. I guess perhaps something wrong with networking might do the same, not sure what you can do about that.
Failing hardware might show up in Firefox crashing first as well. Can you run other large programs such as OpenOffice?

Ben

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 01:36:21 pm »
I am not sure what you mean by "a proper trap file", Dave.

Do you mean for me to install the debug files that you mentioned above and post the results?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2018, 04:57:38 pm »
I am not sure what you mean by "a proper trap file", Dave.

Do you mean for me to install the debug files that you mentioned above and post the results?

Yes.

Ben

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 07:56:08 pm »
OK, Dave, I installed both recommended debug packages and I ran Firefox 45.9.0 GA by double clicking on the exe in the folder.

It started to bring up the profilemanager, (outline only), exited and took my mouse pointer with it. I looked at the new trap file in that folder, (attached), but it appears as all the others. Nothing in the popuplog.os2.

I take it that there is another trap log somewhere that I need to attach as well?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2018, 08:12:18 pm »
Something went wrong. Did you install the dbg files besides the dlls, especially the xul one?
Also looks like we're back to the crash in DIVE, could you do the MOZ_ACCELERATED=0 again?

Ben

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2018, 08:21:37 pm »
I installed all packages using ANPackage Manager which works smoothly and indicates no trouble.
I installed the debug packages the same way.

I redid the test using Moz_acc... etc and this time it went a bit further. The trap log is attached.