Author Topic: Firefox and Traps  (Read 54808 times)

Ben

Re: Firefox and Traps
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2018, 02:36:45 am »
I haven't actually narrowed it down yet, Dariusz. I fixed my maintenance partition, (on the same machine), reworked the Config.sys for it, mixing the main partition file with that one, but leaving in some differences. Then I booted it to see if any version of Firefox worked with it and they all did.

So, I started by just copying some of the MMOS2 entries across to the main partition Config.sys, got lucky first go, and left it at that for now. I will narrow it down when I get the time, but in the meantime here are the entries that I added;

Code: [Select]
DEVICE=C:\MMOS2\ssmdd.sys /S:64 /P:64 /H:256 /Q:1024 /E:1024
DEVICE=C:\MMOS2\r0stub.sys
DEVICE=C:\MMOS2\MMPLAYER\midi.sys
DEVICE=C:\MMOS2\vcshdd.sys
SET DMIPATH=C:\DMISL\BIN
SET MMBASE=C:\MMOS2;
SET MMSTREAM=/S:64 /P:64 /H:256 /Q:1024 /E:1024
SET MMYIELD=10
RUN=C:\MMOS2\mmfix.exe
RUN=C:\MMOS2\mididmon.exe
RUN=C:\MMOS2\mmhelpdd.exe
RUN=C:\MMOS2\qrymmcd.exe

I have yet to even determine if they are all relevant to my main install or which one made the difference. But I will post which one did the job when I do find out.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2018, 12:45:24 pm »
Firefox expects a working MMOS2 subsystem. That does not mean that a sound driver needs to be installed.
But I am pretty sure that at least:
DEVICE=C:\MMOS2\ssmdd.sys /S:64 /P:64 /H:256 /Q:1024 /E:1024
DEVICE=C:\MMOS2\r0stub.sys

are necessary. These are essential components of the MMOS2 subsystem, they are part of the stream manager interface to the sound drivers.

Ben

« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2018, 12:10:57 am »
That's a good place for me to start Lars, but I have no use for sound on the machine in question so I would otherwise leave it off my machine especially given how tight usable memory has become with our favourite OS. 8)

I will REM out the other lines first and see how that works.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2018, 12:48:45 am »
It might be possible to build a version of Firefox without the MMOS2 dependency

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2018, 02:58:49 pm »

Of course it would be desirable to have a Firefox version that dynamically queries the availability of MMOS2 and if not available, to skip all the Multimedia related stuff, like using libkai to allocate a sound instance for example ...
I fear that is work that nobody has time for ...

Needless to say there is no defined way to query the availability of MMOS2. Just looking for the presence/absence of an environment variable would be lousy. Attempting to open a driver (like ssmdd.sys or r0stub.sys) would be better ...

Silvan Scherrer

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2018, 03:40:53 pm »

Of course it would be desirable to have a Firefox version that dynamically queries the availability of MMOS2 and if not available, to skip all the Multimedia related stuff, like using libkai to allocate a sound instance for example ...
I fear that is work that nobody has time for ...
btw Firefox uses libkai since long
kind regards
Silvan
CTO bww bitwise works GmbH

Please help us with donations, so we can further work on OS/2 based projects. Our Shop is at https://www.bitwiseworks.com/shop/index.php

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2018, 04:23:34 pm »
I was thinking of just using configure options such as --disable-wav

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2018, 04:35:14 pm »
And I wonder, it will not be easier to do it the other way around. In fact the other day while I was watching a video, I got an error ... you want to close the application does not respond ... but instead of closing it, apart from the error window, and the video continued to work perfect, but without the Go forward bar, without the stop - forward button, and without the next video button, the volume also disappeared. And when clicking on the video with the right button, I got a menu of the os2 multimedia. The only option that worked was to click on the video to stop or start. It's just a suggestion. Create a mini arcaos application that replaces the browser video bar.
saludos