Author Topic: Firefox and Traps  (Read 54803 times)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Firefox and Traps
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2018, 08:30:29 pm »
Still missing the Firefox stuff. Go to https://github.com/bitwiseworks/mozilla-os2/releases where I presume you downloaded Firefox, and if not download it and download https://github.com/bitwiseworks/mozilla-os2/releases/download/FIREFOX_45_9_0esr_RELEASE_OS2_GA/firefox-debuginfo-45.9.0-2.oc00.pentium4.7z and unzip it and install the files in your Firefox program directory. The trp file should have pointers to code besides the XUL entries much like you have with NSPR4 and LIBC066.

Ben

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2018, 09:00:36 pm »
I should have been clear; I have no idea where I downloaded my installed copy of Firefox that I am using for these tests.

All the YUM/RPM packages I have was installed via ANPackage installer.

Also, I set up the ANP installer to use i686. Will that make a difference with respect to your suggested downloads?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2018, 09:08:50 pm »
I should have been clear; I have no idea where I downloaded my installed copy of Firefox that I am using for these tests.

All the YUM/RPM packages I have was installed via ANPackage installer.

Also, I set up the ANP installer to use i686. Will that make a difference with respect to your suggested downloads?

The P4 files will work fine unless you have a really old CPU (pre-pentium 4), perhaps a bit slower. You can always install in a different directory for testing purposes.

Ben

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2018, 09:35:18 pm »
Done and done!

I extracted the zip to a separate folder, used the moz_ac... setting and executed the program from within cmd.

Attached is the resultant trap file.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 12:53:27 pm by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2018, 09:43:51 pm »
I just checked that trap file; somehow the wrong one was uploaded.

Attached is the correct one.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2018, 02:32:24 am »
OK, thanks, that's more informative.
What plugins do you have installed? At a cmd prompt enter
Code: [Select]
set MOZ_PLUGIN_PATHto see where they're installed.
You could also try running Firefox from a prompt after entering
Code: [Select]
set MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH=to see if it is a plugin problem.
Note the first set command has no equals sign and the second one does.

You probably should also install the FFmpeg libs with ANPM.

Ben

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2018, 01:19:22 pm »
My Profile and plugin folders are in the same directory tree which I temporarily renamed. I then ran Firefox by dble clicking on the .exe icon in the folder. As expected, the profile manager window was bypassed and firefox attempted to load the main window directly, tabs and all and there for a brief moment I had illusions of success!... hehe...  but the window was never completely filled out; it just sat there partially formed and exposed until I CAD'd and killed the process... which generated a trap.

Then, even though I had renamed the Profile/Plugin folder(s), I cmd'd to the firefox.exe folder, ran "set MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH=" and executed firefox.exe. Firefox attempted to load in the same manner as in the previous trial, exited by itself taking my mouse pointer with it. The process also generated a trap file.

I then used ANPM to install FFmpeg, (even though I do not have MMPM installed - I do not use audio/video on this machine - it just runs servers). I unlocked and renamed SDL12.dll in the \ecs\dll\ folder to get the install to complete and rebooted, (SDL12.dll was in use).

I excuted firefox.exe from a cmd after returning the profile/plugin folder name to previous and running "set MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH="again. Nothing of note happened; firefox did not run, but a trap file was generated.

All trap files are attached.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2018, 06:16:08 am »
Its weird, with video acceleration your crashing in nswindow, which kind of makes sense, without, your crashing in the plugin code. I have no idea what would do that other then a corrupt DLL somewhere. You could try going through the requirements and reinstalling all of them, otherwise perhaps open an issue at github. Sorry I can't be more help.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2018, 03:57:52 pm »
Maybe Ben should try the latest SeaMonkey to see if it crashes.  If it does, it could verify that he has possibly a corrupted dll of one of the other required packages.

Dave, did you ever finish recompiling SeaMonkey to the latest updates?  You mentioned it would take around 10 hours to do so a while back?

Ben

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2018, 07:22:31 pm »
OK. Thanks Dave Y. for your input. I appreciated your efforts.

It has to be an old *.dll as it affects all versions of Firefox, young and old. I suspect that something happened while amalgamating all of my old dll folders to get YUM/RPM to work so that is where I'll look next.

And David G., with respect to trying Seamonkey, I will give it a try, but since all versions of Firefox is affected I cannot see how Seamonkey would be any different, but one never knows. Maybe there's a different dll requirement.

I think that I will just rename my remaining dll folders temporarily, copy across the dll folders from another machine, (that doesn't have this problem), and see what happens from there. I have no doubt that this will have serious consequences for my servers/services, but I will suffer that until I can narrow down what is causing this specific problem... it is very strange though, that nothing else is affected only Firefox.

Other than this this one issue I have everything working very smoothly now with many services updated/upgraded and this setup is very stable. Firefox is the last issue.

Then it will be time for backups... but I am not there yet.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2018, 08:08:07 pm »
Hi Ben, another idea is to move @UNIXROOT\etc out of the way, rerun ANPM and reinstall everything. Before doing this, use ANPM to get a list of what you have installed by starting ANPM, then going to Manage-->Yum Tools-->Export Package List...

Hi David, I happened to rebuild SM the other day, actually built it twice. First with GCC 4.9.2 and the Youtube video playing problem returned, so I rebuilt it again with GCC 5.10 and videos once again played. Weird bug triggered with 4.9.2
Unluckily there hasn't really been any changes since my last upload that seem to have made a difference but if you want I can upload another test version.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2018, 12:16:27 am »
Hi Dave

No need if there are no changes.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2018, 07:36:56 pm »
I think that I will just rename my remaining dll folders temporarily, copy across the dll folders from another machine
Install all required dlls with ANPM or yum and make sure that your LIBPATH in config.sys starts with the %UNIXROOT% folders. MOVE THE .; ENTRY after the x:\USR\LOCAL\LIB;x:\USR\LIB; entries. Unfortunately ANPM do not do this for you.

Ben

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2018, 03:52:53 pm »
The version of ANPM that I used, (1.02), moved those to the front of the Libpath statement automatically.

I will try and drive a stake through the heart of this beast today or if time does not allow, before the end of this week.

Ben

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2018, 05:57:23 pm »
Just an update on where I presently stand with this.

I uninstalled and completely removed ANPM/YUM and re-installed, (though I do not believe that the problem lies with either); no difference.

I also tried using the @unix@ etc/usr/var directories from another install of OS/2 from which the latest Firefox works fine as does ANPM.

I tried using the latest build of Seamonkey, (3), with the exact same problem, (I attached the TRAP file).

I also replaced the MMOS2 and OS2\DLL directories with working versions from another install.

Not much left to try... I'll have a go at ecs\dll next and see what that yields.

ANPM/YUM runs fine and the necessary RPM requirements are met.