Author Topic: Setting HD to idle/sleep  (Read 3985 times)

Martin Vieregg

• View Profile
Setting HD to idle/sleep
« on: April 22, 2018, 11:32:56 am »
On my new computer, the SDD is daily used, and the HD is used for storing only. All parts are very quiet besides the HD. On my old computer (eCS 1.2), the HD was set to idle/sleep when it was not used. In ArcaOS, it runs all the time. Can I set this feature via ADD parameters in the Config.sys?

If not, is there a commandline utility doing that? I have googled and found hd-idle and hdparm, both for Linux. hdparm has got a Windows port by using a general Posix DLL. But this does not work with Odin.

If noone has an idea how to do that, a hdparm port to OS/2 would be really useful. hdparm is a posix project, and a posix OS/2 project is also existing.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
Re: Setting HD to idle/sleep
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 01:17:08 am »
The Dani driver has some settings for idling the disk drives. Look up the "/IT" parameter. The AHCI driver has idling enabled, by default, but it may depend on the drive. You may need to specifically set the drivers to control a specific drive. Some experimenting may be required.

On the other hand, if the drive is noisy, putting it to sleep may cause it to stay asleep.

Another option, would be to get an external USB enclosure, and use it that way. I recommend USB 3, so that it will be faster, when the USB 3 driver is ready.

Martin Vieregg

• View Profile
Re: Setting HD to idle/sleep
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 10:19:54 pm »
I've generated now a bug tracker ticket (0001869) as "feature".
https://mantis.arcanoae.com/view.php?id=1869