Author Topic: My experience with ArcaOS & problems I've faced etc.  (Read 23309 times)

ivan

• View Profile
Re: My experience with ArcaOS & problems I've faced etc.
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2018, 09:33:01 pm »
No need to go to all that trouble if you had selected samba client during setup (I think it is the default). 

If you look in the network folder that looks like the old IBM internet one you should find an icon labelled 'ArcaMapper Connections', double click on that  and click on 'Network neighbourhood', click on the refresh button and if you are connected to a network with Samba servers on it they should show up.  Select the one you want and connect as necessary.

Tuure Linden

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2018, 10:00:03 pm »
Thanks, Ivan! That was easy... I somehow totally missed the ArcaMapper. It took me literally secods to connect to my Buffalo TeraStation NAS with it.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2018, 10:49:37 pm »
I should mention that if you have your NAS box on 24/7 and you want to auto connect to it when you start your computer you can do that.  Mapper file menu, 'autostart', enable'. it will put a start netdrive connections in the 'Startup' folder.

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2018, 11:28:46 pm »
Hi Turri, Midi works very well with ArcaOS, I only play Midi music files but hope to someday get A Roland box to try and create Midi files. For now go to Hobbes and search "Timidity", and you will be able to download what you need. There are some sample Timidity files included in ArcaOS. Look in Desktop/Programs/Multimedia/Sounds.

klipp
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 11:31:40 pm by R.M. Klippstein »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2018, 12:23:36 am »
There's also fluidsynth in Hobbes incoming. I haven't tested yet but it seems to be similar to timidity, using soundfont files to synthesize midi in real time using DART.

Tuure Linden

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2018, 09:36:37 pm »
Firefox 45.9.0 keeps on going and it is quite stable in my normal use. Unfortunately Youtube doesn't work very well: some videos won't play and some of them play quite jerky or even crash the browser. VLC is good alternative for wathcing Youtube, but there are some videos that makes it also crash. A better and more light-weight browser is indeed needed. Sometimes playing a video from Youtube can make the whole system hang - I still have no clue why CAD-Popup doesn't always appear but the whole computer completely hangs or reboots when pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del. There's something with the Firefox build that can make the OS/2 on it's knees.

Sometimes a 16-bit Windows 3.1 program can also completely hang the system.

Besides that ArcaOS is stable - much more than Windows was back in the nineties. Of course there are issues that I had already forgot because I've been using much more modern operating systems lately. But for nostalgic reasons I like using ArcaOS.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2018, 03:14:26 am »
Yes, Firefox has become so bloated that even Mozilla gave up on its rendering engine and moved to Quantum. Unluckily we'll probably never move there.
As well we have very little acceleration available, no graphics cards doing the decoding, close to no graphics acceleration period.
Different builds of Firefox work better and worse for YouTube, might be worth testing SeaMonkey. There is also the h264ify add-on (if you can find it) which will force all videos to h264, which is somewhat more efficient then VP9.

xynixme

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2018, 10:45:24 am »
Yes, Firefox has become so bloated that even Mozilla gave up on its rendering engine

Retorical: one of the blessings of Agile software development? Too bad; whatever...

If possible and needed I do download YouTube videos by default, and with Windows the Internet Exploder tends to be a better choice for higher-res videos.

Tuure Linden

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2019, 08:26:06 pm »
I updated ArcaOS installation on my T60 to 5.0.4 and there were some interesting issues. During the installation I had to manually reboot the system every single time when a reboot was needed ("the system will reboot in 30 s" counter went to 0 but nothing happened). And when the update was done XCenter didn't start automatically during bootup. I had to finally manually create a shadow into the Startup folder to fix that. And still ArcaMapper won't mount my network shares anymore. It only gives an error message: "SYS0050: The network request is not supported."

I did a clean installation on another computer and there are no porblems what so ever: XCenter starts and AcaMapper mounts the shares. So using the update installation method must have broken something... But is there any way to fix the ArcaMapper issue on the T60 without making a clean installation of 5.0.4?

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2019, 08:35:15 pm »

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2019, 10:35:42 pm »
when the update was done XCenter didn't start automatically during bootup. I had to finally manually create a shadow into the Startup folder to fix that.

This should not be necessary, nor is it a particularly desirable way to start XCenter.

The very first option on the first page of XCenter's Properties notebook is "Open XCenter automatically". If it isn't checked, please enable it, then remove that shadow from Startup. This way, XCenter will also reopen automatically if you restart the Desktop - that won't happen if it is started from Startup.

OTOH, if it is checked _and_ it consistently fails to open after a reboot or restart, please advise so I can investigate the problem.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2019, 11:32:46 pm »
This should not be necessary, nor is it a particularly desirable way to start XCenter.

It is the only way to start XCenter, without messing something else up, on every ArcaOS system that I have (as well as with eCS, and warp 4). If I let XCenter start itself, About 20% of the time, something else (random) fails to start later. If I start it in the ArcaOS Startup Folder, after a 3.5 second delay, I don't see those problems. I am pretty sure that the problems are not caused by either XWP or XCenter. You do need to turn OFF the setting to start it automatically, when you start it in the ArcaOS Startup Folder.

OTOH, if it is checked _and_ it consistently fails to open after a reboot or restart, please advise so I can investigate the problem.

I consistently see XCenter fail to open, on two of my systems (even after the 3.5 second delay), if I let the system make an Archive. It just hangs starting XCenter. CAD causes a reboot, and then it is okay (not doing an Archive). One other system fails to open one of the programs, started in ArcaOS Startup Folder, after doing an Archive. The symptom is exactly the same as not having the executable file present when you try to open a program icon. After the system starts, without that program, I can start the program manually.

There is a problem, for a very short period, as the system starts up, that seems to prevent finding files. Changing the startup timing can make that happen, or get around it. It all depends on exactly what is going on when the problem occurs. It is also an ancient problem, that has never been fixed, and, it is one of the main reasons why the ArcaOS Startup Folder even exists.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2019, 01:25:08 am »
Doug

I have seen the failure to start with earlier versions.  This latest beta version does not appear to have this problem.  In fact, problems I have seen in ealier versions have not appeared with this latest beta.  Rich has done an awesone job with fixing the bugs. 

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2019, 07:21:51 am »
Doug

I have seen the failure to start with earlier versions.  This latest beta version does not appear to have this problem.  In fact, problems I have seen in ealier versions have not appeared with this latest beta.  Rich has done an awesone job with fixing the bugs.

Rich does an awesome job on everything he touches, but he hasn't touched the problems that I see on every system I have, if I play around with startup timing, enough. Delaying the startup of as much as possible (including XCenter), gets past whatever is going wrong. I am pretty sure that the problem existed before I started to use XWP, so I doubt if Rich will fix the problem by changing XWP, or XCenter, unless he finds every place that accesses files, of any kind, and puts in a lot of retries when they can't be accessed. Even then, it would simply be a "workaround", not a fix.

Tuure Linden

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2019, 08:10:20 pm »
Thaks for the advice! Copying the missing DLL from the 5.0.4 installation media fixed the Samba issue.

There's still one quite irritating thing when it comes to CAD-popup. When I hit ctrl+alt+del once and exit CAD-popup it's all fine. But if I want to re-enter CAD-popup again pressing ctrl+alt+del again it reboots the system immediately. Is there any way to prevent that? I've used to using CAD-popup for killing programs that have hanged and it gets quite frustrating to be able to do it only once per session.