Author Topic: SeaMonkey Experimental build 3  (Read 16180 times)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
SeaMonkey Experimental build 3
« on: April 07, 2018, 06:20:55 pm »
I've uploaded https://bitbucket.org/dryeo/dry-comm-esr31/downloads/seamonkey-2.42.9esr.en-US.os2_exp3.zip with the latest Bitwise commits to Mozilla (Firefox).
I've been running this for a bit and seems to use lower CPU and is fairly stable, even with addons such as Chatzilla enabled. Back to -O3 optimization as experimenting with -Os (small) optimizations caused higher CPU usage and once again built with GCC 510 after I found that using 4.92 gave the unable to play video error on Youtube.
Probably needs the libcx in exp.

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
Re: SeaMonkey Experimental build 3
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 09:20:45 pm »
Dave it works very very well.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 12:03:07 pm »
Hi Dave,

Do you have a list of all the additional DLLs needed for this to run - no rpm/yum here and your firefox 17.11 has done yeoman service but is starting to barf on some https sites so I will give this a try.

Bogdan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 01:49:28 pm »
It seems to require some experimental DLL files. Otherwise TLS will not work. This build has the same mangled style sheets as exp build 1 so I switched back to build #2.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 04:30:54 pm »
In my case, I have not installed any more libraries, than the ones I already had with Firefox or Seamonkey.
Also sometimes I do not boot, but if I run first firefox or seamonkey the previous version and close it. It always starts me.

Here doing tests with virtuaadresslimit 512, I got this error in a trp that seems interesting
. It says memory failure, js, see the attachment. and do not start.
The previous version of seamonkey, can work with 512

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 04:35:32 pm »
Hi Ivan, it needs most of the same DLLs as Firefox, excepting Hunspell and needing the libcx from the exp repository.
Here's the list that the RPM build of Firefox needs according to the command "yum deplist firefox". Note that not all these are needed, such as sh, bww-resources-rpm, os2-base and just the regular libc rather then the devel package. (Might need libc from exp)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 04:48:12 pm »
It seems to require some experimental DLL files. Otherwise TLS will not work. This build has the same mangled style sheets as exp build 1 so I switched back to build #2.

Hi Bogdan, can you give an example?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 05:03:49 pm »
In my case, I have not installed any more libraries, than the ones I already had with Firefox or Seamonkey.
Also sometimes I do not boot, but if I run first firefox or seamonkey the previous version and close it. It always starts me.

Here doing tests with virtuaadresslimit 512, I got this error in a trp that seems interesting
. It says memory failure, js, see the attachment. and do not start.
The previous version of seamonkey, can work with 512

Yes, this build will use a bit more memory due to change in optimization. virtualaddresslimit 512 probably needs to be changed to 1024 or larger.
Thanks for the report.

xynixme

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 05:23:13 pm »
I've been running this for a bit and seems to use lower CPU and is fairly stable, even with addons such as Chatzilla enabled.
FTR: with an ignored TLS issue, and with an OS/2 Pentium 4 slower than a ThinkPad T42, the CPU load while browsing about:blank still is 100%. Getting there seems to happen slightly faster indeed.

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 10:34:32 pm »
 Thanks for building this, Dave! I'm having some strange trouble though, it works great until somewhere around the 3rd or 4th time I start it, the icon cross-hatches, but nothing appears on the screen. Doesn't appear in the task list either. This happens regardless of whether I reboot or not. I have 2 CPUs, and the CPU monitor shows 100% load bouncing back and forth from one CPU to the other. If I recopy the 2nd beta version over this one, then everything works fine again and continues working.

Unfortunately, TOP doesn't work on this machine (problems with OS/2 fullscreen sessions) so I can't look to see what is running when I try to start SeaMonkey in this state. Definitely a head scratcher...

Gregg Young

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 12:38:02 am »
  Unfortunately, TOP doesn't work on this machine (problems with OS/2 fullscreen sessions) so I can't look to see what is running when I try to start SeaMonkey in this state. Definitely a head scratcher...

Hi David

Top runs fine from a command window. It is in the PATH on ArcaOS. Alternatively if you have FM/2, its Kill facility will pull up the same complete list you get from Top.

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 01:32:03 am »
Gregg,

Hey, thanks for that! I never even considered running in a window, but yes - it works!

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 03:37:26 am »
@David, it sounds like you're running out of lower shared memory. The VirtualBox problems thread has some ideas on workarounds for that problem. Also try restarting the desktop, which should help for a bit.

@André, not too surprised it gives you 100% CPU on a weak P4, it almost pegs my T42. It's possible that Mozilla has made enough changes that it will always run like crap on a single core CPU. Here, on a 2.4Ghz first generation C2D, it seems to use about 15-20% with one core usually 10-15% and the other 5-10%.
You might want to try going into about:config and disabling all the safebrowsing stuff.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2018, 05:19:26 pm »
Hi Dave

Thanks for the effort but, sadly, I am back using exp2 as I see the same problems with exp3 as David is having.

I also note higher cpu use with exp3.

Another problem I discovered during my brief attempts at using exp3: Addons can be a problem especially NoScript which can cause the following:-

1] Seamonkey fails to start but is in the Process List indicating that it is trying to start - as evidenced by the 4 cores of the cpu taking turns at running a peaked flat line.

2] If Seamonkey does start there is more than a good chance that it will hang if Tools -> Add-ons Manager is selected - again with the cpu cores taking turns at running a peaked flat line.

The only NoScript that installs and does not seem to cause problems is 10.1.7.5 - Sadly this version does not work with Seamonkey; no Preferences button in Add-ons Manager and no NoScript icon anywhere on the browser interface.

Regards

Pete
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 05:23:27 pm by Pete »

TeLLie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2018, 07:15:52 pm »
Hi David,

I also notice those problems David and Pete describe,
It's for me useless to use, as its hogging Cpu...
Also the mail wont startup.
I also switch back to beta2..
Ps i try also with a clean install, same probs...