Author Topic: OS/2 Warp 4 (updated disk) can't install to HDD (IDE)  (Read 5034 times)

naaa

OS/2 Warp 4 (updated disk) can't install to HDD (IDE)
« on: April 15, 2018, 04:48:08 pm »
Hi Guys,

It has been some years since I've played around with OS/2 based systems.
10 years ago I had some IBM PS/2 machines and OS/2 2.0, Warp 3 and Connect retail boxes in my collection.

But, due to moving, I had to scale down; those machines and software went to a another collector.
Lately however, my interest is back in " obsolete" machines, so I bought an old P3 computer and OS/2 Warp 4 box from a local marketplace.

The computer is a Compaq Deskpro EN with 933Mhz processor and a 40GB IDE Seagate harddrive,
I've partitioned the HDD as followed:
1st partition: 7MB reserved for OS/2 Bootloader
2nd partition: 29GB with Windows 98SE on it; I want to make a Dual boot system
3rd partition: 8GB reserved for the OS/2 Warp 4 installation to reside on.

I've created the 3 installation disk and updated them with the drivers with Danis drivers,
as explained on this website: https://www.elstel.org/OS2Warp/InstallUpdate.html

(also included the Intel NIC driver on disk 1, but that is irrelevant at this point)

The systems boots from the floppy disk succesfully, and asks for the 1st and 2nd floppy,
but then the systems hangs with an error saying it can't handle or control the fixed disk:

Both HDD and DVD drive are in fact succesfully discovered by the Danis drivers,
but OS/2 can't seem to be able to do anything with them.

Then I tried to update IDEDASD as I thought the size of the HDD (>8GB limit) might be the issue,
as described on this page: http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_issues/VNL0900H/vnewsf4.htm
but no avail.

Anyone here who can give me some information or hints to get this system up-and-running? :D

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: OS/2 Warp 4 (updated disk) can't install to HDD (IDE)
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 07:35:32 pm »
How did you partition the disks? OS/2 needs the partitions to end on cylinder boundries. Simplest is to do the partitioning with OS/2 fdisk.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: OS/2 Warp 4 (updated disk) can't install to HDD (IDE)
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 02:29:08 am »
Hi Nick. Welcome back to the OS/2 community.

I know it is not directly related to your issue, but it may be interesting if you can get a copy of "OS/2 Warp 4.52" which is almost the same Warp 4 with modern fixpacks (with the exception of Voice Type).  It may be easier with that version the issues with the outdated drivers.

Regards
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 01:59:47 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile