Author Topic: OS/4 (technical details only)  (Read 155182 times)

OS4User

• View Profile
Re: OS/4 (technical details only)
« Reply #150 on: March 14, 2019, 09:01:39 pm »
Dave, I have been using now for a few days.  Not one crash.  Working great.

David,

It is because you have a good karma  :)   We cannot expect  always  positive result with current  GCC.

I  did the ultimate challenge.  My wife has a facebook page.  She needed me to check something for her.  I logged on and went to her page.  Although the sandybrigde browser did not trap, it slowed down to a crawl making the pages almost unusable.

Pls do some testing:

1)  reg OS/4 kernel,  P4 FF, latest FFMPEG from Dave
2) nonAVX OS/4 kernel, P4 FF, latest FFMPEG from Dave

And share you opinion about speed  and CPU load on video, especially the sites  where  you got traps.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 14, 2019, 09:32:43 pm »
I  did the ultimate challenge.  My wife has a facebook page.  She needed me to check something for her.  I logged on and went to her page.  Although the sandybrigde browser did not trap, it slowed down to a crawl making the pages almost unusable.

Yea, our JavaScript engine has speed issues, which is probably the issue with Facebook and quite a few other sites. Generally if you wait, things recover but it depends.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 14, 2019, 09:58:58 pm »
Dave

could you compile to asm  using gcc  5.x.x  http://gus.biysk.ru/os4/test_align.c

1) without -fno-common
2) with  -fno-common

And show results as attachment ?

Missed this at first.
Happened to be trying to create an elf object with [H:\tmp\test]gcc_elf --version
3.0.3, which along with regular GCC 3.0.3 gives this output
Code: [Select]
[H:\tmp\test]gcc_elf -c align.c -o align.o
align.c:17:1: warning: no newline at end of file
align.c:8: warning: alignment of `Aligned32_Var1' is greater than maximum object
 file alignment. Using 16.
align.c:10: warning: alignment of `Aligned32_Var2' is greater than maximum object file alignment. Using 16.
align.c:12: warning: alignment of `Aligned32_Var3' is greater than maximum object file alignment. Using 16.

Which I guess is the basic problem.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 14, 2019, 10:09:40 pm »

Yea, our JavaScript engine has speed issues, which is probably the issue with Facebook and quite a few other sites. Generally if you wait, things recover but it depends.

What is weird is that this was the first time I had ever accessed my wife's facebook page with my laptop.  It was extremely slow.  However, since that first time, access time has sped up.  It is almost like it is gathering info about my system the very first time.

OS/2 kernel using FFPentium
OS/4 kernel using FFPentium
OS/4 kernel no AVX using FFPentium

The speed results were around the same.  Everything appears to load in blocks.

The OS/4 kernel with the FFSandybridge loads in blocks also.  Probably the big difference between it and the above is that the Facebook search engine was much slower bringing up the search result.  Tested this several times.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 10:19:29 pm by David Graser »

OS4User

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 14, 2019, 10:28:21 pm »
Happened to be trying to create an elf object with [H:\tmp\test]gcc_elf --version
3.0.3, which along with regular GCC 3.0.3 gives this output
[H:\tmp\test]gcc_elf -c align.c -o align.o
align.c:17:1: warning: no newline at end of file
align.c:8: warning: alignment of `Aligned32_Var1' is greater than maximum object
 file alignment. Using 16.
align.c:10: warning: alignment of `Aligned32_Var2' is greater than maximum object file alignment. Using 16.
align.c:12: warning: alignment of `Aligned32_Var3' is greater than maximum object file alignment. Using 16.

Which I guess is the basic problem.

Dave,

Tnx for .asm files.  One without key  does not look ok
GCC_elf 3.0.3  could be  to old to generate  proper alignment.

David,

We need sites with video but without  JavaScript  to understand the difference.
Pls pay attention to CPUs load.

may be  http://www.quirksmode.org/html5/videos/big_buck_bunny.mp4
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 11:28:19 pm by OS4User »

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 14, 2019, 11:41:29 pm »
OS2User

I found one problem which although did not trap FFsandybridge.  Not sure when I did it.   it did have an impact on Facebook search.  I was loading the FFturbo for the FF pentium.  With the correct FFturbo running, FFSandybrige is is handling the Facebook search snappy now.  Also, although loading is still blocky, it is loading faster.  It appears that it may be even faster than the noAVX version of kernels and browsers.  On the video sites I go to, very seldom does any of the four CPUs reach 50%  The 4 CPUs are almost drawing straight lines while playing video.

You want to know the worst site.  This site as I write this text.  the CPUs are jumping from 0 to 100% steadily.

The second video shows the CPU video playing a youtube video.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 12:11:14 am by David Graser »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 15, 2019, 12:17:57 am »
You want to know the worst site.  This site as I write this text.  the CPUs are jumping from 0 to 100% steadily.

Strange, it uses almost no CPU here, perhaps as I have scripting turned off. I'll turn it on.
OK, that increased CPU usage. A couple of points, some animated gifs can cause a lot of CPU usage, some bug in our port I believe, they show up here if I turn on JavaScript. Typing doesn't seem to make it much worse.
I also notice heavy CPU usage on the main forum page if there are any new comments, this goes away if no new comments. Once again likely GIF related.
We had a similar problem at Mantis, after I tracked it down Lewis changed all the GIFs to PNGs, which fixed it.
Edit, I'm using SeaMonkey, which isn't much different code wise as most code is shared. There is some differences such as Chatzilla, which causes high CPU usage always if enabled, whether actually being used or not. Same XPI is fine on Firefox and it is the same as was in the 38ESR tree.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 12:21:18 am by Dave Yeo »

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 15, 2019, 12:52:12 am »
The ArcaOS kernel appears to be more CPU intensive while using FFPentium.  Attached is a pic.

On the Youtube pages, it appears the OS/4 kernel with the FFSandybridge does a somewhat better job with all 4 CPUs. 

I think the OS/4 kernel with the FFSandybridge is a good choice for using the internet.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 01:22:58 am by David Graser »

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 15, 2019, 07:43:19 am »
The OS4 kernel with the FFsandybridge and AVX libs is the way to go compared to the OS/2 kernel with the FFPentium.  Trunews is the most demanding video site I have encountered so far.  The last 1/3 portion of the first pic is the OS/4 kernel being used for this web site.  With the OS/2 kernel, the longer the video ran, the slower and more choppy the video became with the CPU oscillation getting bigger.

https://www.trunews.com/stream/harvard-entrance-scandal-did-jared-kushner-receive-special-treatment

Attached are the 2 CPU comparisons.

Also note that the IRQ red line is being more utilized in the OS/4 kernel than the OS/2 kernel.

The third pic is OS/4 noAVX kernel.  Not much difference between it and the regulator OS/4 kernel except it appears to have a higher IRQ load (red line) and a little less CPU.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 02:44:24 pm by David Graser »

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 17, 2019, 12:40:35 pm »
This is with the OS/4 kernel, FFSandyBridge, and AVX libs.

While playing video, the CPU usage oscillates little.  However, when I stop play, the CPU starts ocsilatting all over the place.  Start play again oscillates little.

Attached is a pic. The high swings occurs when the video is stopped.  Need to check with the OS/2 kernel next.

The OS/2 kernel does the same thing as seen in the second pic.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 12:47:21 pm by David Graser »

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 18, 2019, 01:54:06 am »
One more observation about FF.  When I minimizze FF, the CPUs goes crazy.  The low usage is the OS2World home page.  When minimized, the CPU usuage goes crazy.  I have not tested with the OS/2 kernel, but I am sure it is the same way.  Pic attached.

Note:  While testing this, I had 2 traps.  The first I have had in days.  Attached the two traps.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 01:58:54 am by David Graser »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 18, 2019, 02:51:39 am »
You need to install https://bitbucket.org/dryeo/mozilla-os2/downloads/firefox-sandybridge-xqs.zip as I forgot to package the xqs files.

The high CPU load when minimized is a known issue related to the theme somehow. Try installing the attached theme by dropping it on about:addons, enable it after restarting the browser, and then minimize.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 18, 2019, 03:33:12 am »
You need to install https://bitbucket.org/dryeo/mozilla-os2/downloads/firefox-sandybridge-xqs.zip as I forgot to package the xqs files.

The high CPU load when minimized is a known issue related to the theme somehow. Try installing the attached theme by dropping it on about:addons, enable it after restarting the browser, and then minimize.

Hi Dave,

That was it.  Switching themes corrected the minimize CPU usage.  Thanks.  Also installed the xqs package.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 23, 2019, 04:08:10 pm »

Hi Dave,

That was it.  Switching themes corrected the minimize CPU usage.  Thanks.  Also installed the xqs package.

Just an update.  Everything is working great with the latest OS/4 test kernels, the FFSandbridge, the AVX libs,  the xqs files installed, and the lite theme installed.  Not one trap in over a week.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 04:19:04 pm by David Graser »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 23, 2019, 04:46:44 pm »
Of interest, a patch was posted for pixman by Intel to use AVX2. Pixman takes care of the drawing primitives for Cairo and Cairo handles the browsers canvas (basically all the drawing excepting things like the frame). Hasn't been accepted as the maintainers want to see benchmarks for AMD but gives some idea of possible speed improvements.
Performance benefits benchmarked on a Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-7900 CPU @
3.30GHz. These patches improve performance of both high level and low level
benchmarks.

|-----------------------+----------+------------+----------+------------+----------|
| cairo-perf-trace      | AVX2 Avg | AVX2 stdev | SSE2 Avg | SSE2 stdev | % change |
|-----------------------+----------+------------+----------+------------+----------|
| poppler               | 1.125s   | 0.30%      | 1.284s   | 0.19%      | +14.13%  |
| firefox-canvas-scroll | 2.503s   | 0.21%      | 2.853s   | 0.22%      | +13.98%  |

|--------------------+---------+---------+----------|
| lowlevel-blt-bench | AVX2    | SSE2    | % change |
| OVER_8888_8888 L1  | 2118.06 | 1250.50 | +69.37%  |
| OVER_8888_8888 L2  | 1967.59 | 1245.87 | +57.90%  |
| OVER_8888_8888 M   | 1694.10 | 1183.65 | +43.12%  |
| OVER_8888_8888 HT  | 562.82  | 556.45  | +01.11%  |
| OVER_8888_8888 VT  | 411.19  | 349.78  | +17.56%  |
| OVER_8888_8888 R   | 369.46  | 332.09  | +11.25%  |
| OVER_8888_8888 RT  | 172.36  | 151.37  | +13.86%  |