Author Topic: OS/4 (technical details only)  (Read 156454 times)

OS4User

• View Profile
Re: OS/4 (technical details only)
« Reply #210 on: March 24, 2020, 07:30:32 pm »
if you were to boot in the OS2 config that would actually produce a valid output.

nope.  I got the same output with OS/2 config too.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 24, 2020, 11:16:26 pm »
if you were to boot in the OS2 config that would actually produce a valid output.

nope.  I got the same output with OS/2 config too.

I am getting the table is broken with with the os/2 config.

Ibrahim Hakeem

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 31, 2020, 01:20:28 am »
I've been using OS/4 for the sake of being able to use Virtualbox + getting a bit more overall out of my T450S. I've absolutely loved how much more useful it's made my environment but my current grievance is the lack of a mostly functional ACPI driver (battery widget, ACPI shutdown, etc).

From what I've read, ACPI.PSD 3.23.01 should work with OS4 but before I make the effort of actually trying to retrieve a copy of it, I was hoping to see if anyone has any input on how well it performs and if I'd be running into any issues due to it being nearly 4 years out.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 01, 2020, 09:34:06 am »
OS/4 comes with its own PSD and ACPI support. You need OS4APIC.PSD to support a multi-core/SMP system. However, that PSD only supports APICs instead of the conventional interrupt controller (which is necessary for an SMP system) but it does not support ACPI.
If you really need ACPI support (some systems require this so that they can work at all) you need to get ACPI4.BPD which currently is in an experimental state but I can say that it works on my system.

You will find OS4APIC.PSD (and its .SYM symbol file) in the OS/4 kernel zip. As with any other PSD, it has to go into the \OS2\BOOT directory and needs to added to the (alternate, preferrably) CONFIG.SYS.

ACPI4.BPD is difficult to find, if you give me an email address, I can send it to you. It also has to go into the \OS2\BOOT directory. It will be autoloaded by the OS/4 kernel if it is found, therefore, nothing to add to CONFIG.SYS.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 01, 2020, 10:01:00 am »
add. info after rereading the OS/4 kernel info text for OS4APIC.PSD:

In case the MP tables are broken, ACPI4.BPD will interact with OS4APIC.PSD to provide it with the equivalent info from the ACPI tables.

The MP tables as well as the ACPI tables provide OS Software with the information how many cores exist, how many and what type of interrupt controllers exist, etc.
The MP tables however are an outdated way of supplying this information and therefore, they are often broken/incorrect on modern systems. Today, every MOBO producer is strongly encouraged to support ACPI (as well as UEFI, but this is a different topic ...).

Therefore, I am not sure if ACPI4.BPD supports all the other ACPI stuff like power saving and shutdown. You will need to try out. I can say that on my system and with the aforementioned drivers, I can fully power off the system by selecting system shutdown.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 11:21:30 am by Lars »

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 01, 2020, 11:14:38 am »
Can anything be done to fix the DMI table?

A little background. ANPM uses the output of dmidecode to hash/encrypt ID/PASS credentials for subscription repos. I was working through an issue where on the OS2 kernel this process was failing. Turned out to be caused by the board maker (MSI) putting/leaving generic identifier string in a specific DMI table field. Alex fixed this, so now that works.

I subsequently booted up using my OS4 config and came to find out that ANPM credentials check on the sub repos failed again. This time I looked through the debug, reviewed the outputs from dmidecode and indeed, the output is broken. In case someone else is attempting to use ANPM on an OS4 configured system they will likely fail as well.

FYI, here is what I'm seeing:

Code: [Select]
[G:\]dmidecode
# dmidecode 3.1
Scanning /dev/mem for entry point.
SMBIOS 2.5 present.
54 structures occupying 1934 bytes.
Table at 0x0009F800.

Invalid entry length (0). DMI table is broken! Stop.

Using OS/4: I don't know if this is the ultimate cure (likely not), but on an eCS system, I just copied DMI.EXE from the \ecs\install\detectei directory to the ANPM program directory and renamed to DMIDECODE.EXE (after backing up the dmidecode.exe file that is located in that dir). That helped to stop ANPM.EXE on blocking when invoking DMIDECODE.EXE.
The DMI.EXE that comes with eCS is version 2.10.  Therefore my buest guess is that DMIDECODE.EXE version 3.1 that comes with ArcaOS is either broken or has changed its output in a form that makes ANPM fail. The DMIDECODE.EXE in the ANPM directory is version 2.12 and that also did not work together with ANPM.
The obvious difference between version  3.1 and older versions is that version 3.1 prints this string:
Scanning /dev/mem for entry point.
The older versions do not do this.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 11:18:28 am by Lars »

OS4User

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 01, 2020, 05:19:06 pm »
From what I've read, ACPI.PSD 3.23.01 should work with OS4 but before I make the effort of actually trying to retrieve a copy of it.

Yes, as far as I know, 3.23.01 is the latest ACPI.PSD which work with OS/4. It is very likely that you will get the battery widget and ACPI shutdown (I have neither notebook, nor a 3.23.01 to check this).

OS4User

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 01, 2020, 05:28:50 pm »
In case the MP tables are broken, ACPI4.BPD will interact with OS4APIC.PSD to provide it with the equivalent info from the ACPI tables.

A small clarification:

OS4APIC.PSD on boot  is looking for ACPI4.BPD if it find it, it uses it. If not - uses MPtable. There is a way to make it use MPtable even if ACPI4.BPD is available  - adding /MPT  parameter in to command line.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 02, 2020, 08:38:34 am »
Do you know what else apart from providing table data ACPI4.BPD offers? If there is an PSD option /MPT to suppress use of ACPI Tables but loading ACPI4.BPD nonetheless,I expect it to offer more. Does it offer shutdown and powersave?
It looks like it at least offers shutdown.

Ibrahim Hakeem

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 04, 2020, 04:35:00 am »
From what I've read, ACPI.PSD 3.23.01 should work with OS4 but before I make the effort of actually trying to retrieve a copy of it.

Yes, as far as I know, 3.23.01 is the latest ACPI.PSD which work with OS/4. It is very likely that you will get the battery widget and ACPI shutdown (I have neither notebook, nor a 3.23.01 to check this).

Duly noted, I currently plan on seeing how I do with ACPI4.BPD but if it ends up being more trouble than it's worth I'll need to hunt down 3.23.01.

OS4User

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 07, 2020, 03:53:41 pm »
I expect it to offer more. Does it offer shutdown and powersave?

acpi4.bpd  is a very simple driver - it just provides an interface to Intel ACPI CA library.
This interface, for example, is used by  os4apic.psd  (to find CPUs and routing info) and by clock03c.sys  (to find HPET).

Bernhard Pöttinger

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 10, 2020, 05:13:42 pm »
With usb version 12.05 and usb version 12.06 usb support is lost with OS4 kernel. Till usb version 12.04 it worked well with OS4 kernel and with IBM kernel. 12.05 and 12.06 are still working on IBM kernel, without no problem. I have tried this on two laptops, and both are showing the same behavior. One is a Thinkpad W520 and one a Thinkpad T42p.
I have made two kernel logs on the t42p, because this one has a serial adapter.

OS4User

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 10, 2020, 07:55:53 pm »
With usb version 12.05 and usb version 12.06 usb support is lost with OS4 kernel. Till usb version 12.04 it worked well with OS4 kernel and with IBM kernel. 12.05 and 12.06 are still working on IBM kernel, without no problem. I have tried this on two laptops, and both are showing the same behavior. One is a Thinkpad W520 and one a Thinkpad T42p.

Logs said that USB stack  is not loading for some reason. It is  hard to explain,  hope it will be fixed  in  12.07.  I am using USB stack from Lars and it works fine for me with any kernels.

You can get the log without comport once the system is booted,  [copy kernlog$ mylog.txt]

Looking through your logs, I would suggest:
- put BASEDEV=USBD.SYS line before BASEDEV=USB?HCD.SYS  lines
- check the list  in HowTo file to make sure you have tuned up your settings properly (THREADS, PROCESSES, etc)

Ibrahim Hakeem

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 14, 2020, 03:48:47 am »

Duly noted, I currently plan on seeing how I do with ACPI4.BPD but if it ends up being more trouble than it's worth I'll need to hunt down 3.23.01.

I got around to giving it a shot (Many thanks to Lars Erdmann for sending me a copy!), it behaves like it's successfully installed but doesn't actually work.
The battery widget icon doesn't show the E4 error code, but doesn't give any data on the battery's remaining power and states that it failed to load if you double-click on it.
When shutting down, it stalls on a black screen rather than automatically turn off once the shutdown process is complete.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 02:08:42 pm by Ibrahim Hakeem »

Bernhard Pöttinger

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 14, 2020, 09:26:40 am »

Logs said that USB stack  is not loading for some reason. It is  hard to explain,  hope it will be fixed  in  12.07.  I am using USB stack from Lars and it works fine for me with any kernels.

You can get the log without comport once the system is booted,  [copy kernlog$ mylog.txt]

Looking through your logs, I would suggest:
- put BASEDEV=USBD.SYS line before BASEDEV=USB?HCD.SYS  lines
- check the list  in HowTo file to make sure you have tuned up your settings properly (THREADS, PROCESSES, etc)

usb 12.4 and older AN usb drivers are also working with OS4 kernel, 12.5 breaks that. The bad thing is that without usb 12.6 I have no usb 3 and without OS4 kernel I have no working virtualbox for os/2.
BTW: USBD.SYS is before all USB?HCD.SYS statements in my config.sys and the settings are properly choosen.