Author Topic: OS/4 (technical details only)  (Read 31494 times)

OS4User

• Thank You
  • -Given: 71
  • -Receive: 7
    • View Profile
Re: OS/4 (technical details only)
« Reply #225 on: June 14, 2020, 10:02:05 am »
usb 12.4 and older AN usb drivers are also working with OS4 kernel, 12.5 breaks that. The bad thing is that without usb 12.6 I have no usb 3 and without OS4 kernel I have no working virtualbox for os/2.

Still hope it will be fixed  in 12.07.

BTW: USBD.SYS is before all USB?HCD.SYS statements in my config.sys and the settings are properly choosen.

Coming back to your logs, what I can see  is:

1)
Code: [Select]
Symbols linked (usbuhcd)
Symbols linked (usbuhcd)
Symbols linked (usbuhcd)
Symbols linked (usbehcd)
Symbols linked (ibmkbd)
Symbols linked (usbd)

it means  that  usbd.sys line is  after usb?hcd.sys lines

2)

MaxProcesses = 1025

If you do not really need that many processes at the same time  -  it has a sense to reduce this setting (the same for THREADS=)  otherwise   it just waste of memory in  system arena.

3)

VAL = 1536

Saving mem in system arena (proper THREADS= and PROCESSES= ) allows you to set VAL much higher   even 3072, what increase your  high privet/shared arenas.

Pls check - may be you refer to config.SYS  but not config.OS4

Igor

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 16, 2020, 09:00:18 pm »
I noticed that new BASEDEV drivers (USB 12.05+) from Arca do not display diagnostic messages when booting with the OS / 4 kernel and not load. Perhaps the problem is only in the driver loader itself. This gives us hope that the problem can be quite easily fixed.

Bernhard Pöttinger

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 17, 2020, 07:16:42 pm »
I noticed that new BASEDEV drivers (USB 12.05+) from Arca do not display diagnostic messages when booting with the OS / 4 kernel and not load. Perhaps the problem is only in the driver loader itself. This gives us hope that the problem can be quite easily fixed.

I  have placed an bug report on AN bug tracker. Will see what they are saying. I will post the answer.

Bernhard
Modify message

Bernhard Pöttinger

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 18, 2020, 11:10:42 am »

I  have placed an bug report on AN bug tracker. Will see what they are saying. I will post the answer.

Bernhard
Modify message

That is the answer from AN:

Regardless what any other kernel (legal or illegal) may offer, Arca Noae has no intention of providing support for non-Arca Noae kernels.

If the request is that we add support for a feature not currently implemented in the ArcaOS kernel, that is a separate matter, and such requests are accepted for consideration.

As described here, the configuration on your system is completely unsupported by Arca Noae (not just the USB stack).

Our best recommendation is to use a legal, supported kernel, specifically, the one supplied with ArcaOS.

(I, too, use a browser in a box" solution under VBox 1.6 on ArcaOS, which works just fine for running small Linux distros, with Arca Noae kernels 14.200 and 14.201.)

The case is closed by Lewis.

OS4User

• Thank You
  • -Given: 71
  • -Receive: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 18, 2020, 08:07:34 pm »

That is the answer from AN:

Regardless what any other kernel (legal or illegal) may offer, Arca Noae has no intention of providing support for non-Arca Noae kernels.

The case is closed by Lewis.

Actually,  it sounds not that bad. Lewis just said  that there is no support for OS/4 configured system - and his position is easy to understand.  I and still hope that 12.07  will  work  with OS/4  as 12.04 did. It seems that majority of people will accept the absence of support from AN in this case.