Author Topic: Phantom Optical Drive  (Read 7599 times)

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
Phantom Optical Drive
« on: April 17, 2018, 08:52:24 pm »
Hi All!

Since I've had some time to hang around the forums, instead of constantly being on the road, I thought I'd bring a rather strange little problem here, that I encountered when installing ArcaOS v5.0.1, to see if anyone has encountered it and has a workaround.

ArcaOS is installed on a system with two Optical Drives - one (Drive S:) DVD and one (Drive T:) a Blu-Ray.

Since installation, the Drives folder has three Optical Drive icons - the aforementioned ones .......... and a phantom "Drive U:".

Clicking on that drive, with discs in the others, it doesn't seem to be aliasing the others, and without being able to put a disk in to a drive, I can't access the Properties menu.

The set for RESERVEDRIVELETTER=R. I suspect this is an artifact from the installation, but I've not encountered it before, installing eCS or OS/2 in the past.

Anyone ran into this one before, and found a workaround? Its a rather minor issue, but I would be interested in seeing if there's a way to do something about it.

Best!

M
Vincit Que Se Vincit - "He Who Conquers Self Succeeds"

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
Re: Phantom Optical Drive
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 09:04:16 pm »
I suppose you could have specified a USB cd-rom drive in your config.sys

I'm on the road, so I can't tell you which USB driver.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 11:16:51 pm »
By default, you will install support for a USB CD/DVD drive (you can turn that off in the pre-boot menus for the installer). It adds the line "BASEDEV=USBCDROM.ADD..." to CONFIG.SYS. If you have a USB CD/DVD drive, you may want to keep that. If not, REM the line in CONFIG.SYS.

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 08:59:47 pm »
By default, you will install support for a USB CD/DVD drive (you can turn that off in the pre-boot menus for the installer). It adds the line "BASEDEV=USBCDROM.ADD..." to CONFIG.SYS. If you have a USB CD/DVD drive, you may want to keep that. If not, REM the line in CONFIG.SYS.

That was the culprit.

I don't use a lot of USB devices other than sticks so didn't even think of it. I also wasn't aware that USB would reserves a letter for Optical drive, based I assume on whatever RESERVEDRIVELETTER is identified in CONFIG.SYS and the other physical drives present.

The appropriate line I REM'D out was

BASEDEV=USBCDROM.ADD /CDS:1

So I learned something today.

Thanks Doug (and Neil) and Best!

M

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 07:01:04 am »
I also wasn't aware that USB would reserves a letter for Optical drive, based

You should turn it off, if you don't need it. It is on the second pre-boot setup page. Personally, I think it should be off, unless a user needs it, but I was out numbered on that one.

I suggest that users should very carefully read every setting, until you have done it enough times to know what is there. Even then, you may find some new things in future releases, so watch carefully.

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 05:53:13 pm »
I also wasn't aware that USB would reserves a letter for Optical drive, based

You should turn it off, if you don't need it. It is on the second pre-boot setup page. Personally, I think it should be off, unless a user needs it, but I was out numbered on that one.

I suggest that users should very carefully read every setting, until you have done it enough times to know what is there. Even then, you may find some new things in future releases, so watch carefully.

I suspect it was done for ease of installation, Doug, given the past installation problems. In this reading challenged world, people just want fire and forget - which creates problems in itself.

M

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 06:17:33 pm »
I suspect it was done for ease of installation,

It is only needed if you are installing from a USB DVD drive. It is convenient, if you want to be able to use a USB DVD drive, after install (the line is already in CONFIG.SYS), but that adds the extra icon.

Doug, given the past installation problems. In this reading challenged world, people just want fire and forget - which creates problems in itself.

I agree with that comment. Unfortunately, Artificial Intelligence, at that level, is not, yet, available. Even if it was, users always know better.

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 10:01:44 pm »

It is only needed if you are installing from a USB DVD drive. It is convenient, if you want to be able to use a USB DVD drive, after install (the line is already in CONFIG.SYS), but that adds the extra icon.

Doug, given the past installation problems. In this reading challenged world, people just want fire and forget - which creates problems in itself.

I agree with that comment. Unfortunately, Artificial Intelligence, at that level, is not, yet, available. Even if it was, users always know better.

I would go just a slight bit farther, Doug - there's starting to be too much Artificial intelligence relied upon .............. and not enough real intelligence residing in various human brain cases .................

My social media grouse for the day, Sir and Best!

Mark

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 03:16:53 pm »

I like how it is done in ArcaOS. Most of my machines do not have any optical drive. They might revisit this decision now that we have a bootable USB stick for machines without optical drives.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2018, 08:21:00 pm »

I like how it is done in ArcaOS. Most of my machines do not have any optical drive. They might revisit this decision now that we have a bootable USB stick for machines without optical drives.

Heh Neil!

The trouble is the sheer number of permutations and combinations of system configuration now, and supporting both new and legacy equipment.

Floppy Install? CD install? Network Install? USB stick Install? Cloud Install? Install by Telepathy (sorry, couldn't resist! <sic> :P)

My Dad had an old saying he was fond of - "By satisfying everyone, you essentially satisfy no one".

I've extended that saying somewhat, as a Markism  .............. "When you believe in everything you essentially believe in nothing."

Philosophy appropriate for our times, Neil, and a fine weekend to you!

M