Author Topic: Firefox - 45.9.0 for OS/2 GA1.1...anyone...anyone???  (Read 78398 times)

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
Re: Firefox - 45.9.0 for OS/2 GA1.1...anyone...anyone???
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2018, 12:05:01 pm »
Yes this works.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2018, 04:12:34 pm »
Dave!!!

Try this build, https://bitbucket.org/dryeo/dry-comm-esr31/downloads/firefox-45.9.0.en-US.os2.zip.
Still has the minimized cpu usage but does play youtube videos and closes on exit.
Same code excepting some optimizations and compiler.

Amazing...seriously, first time - in I can't remember how long - that FF actually plays native VP9 YouTube videos...so that's pretty awesome. When the h264ify add-on is turned ON the stuttering video continues, just as it did with the GA1.1, so there must be something else to it beyond the compiler stuff.

OK, so here are two requests, not sure if you can/are-willing to do this but, can you:

1) release that last test build with  '-Os -march=pentium4' instead of '-Os -march=i686'? This would give me the closest to apples-to-apples comparison, so maybe the move to GCC 5.1.0 is all the difference that we need?

2) release that last test build with  '-march=amdfam10 -Ofast -msse2' instead of '-Os -march=i686'? This would give me the AMD Phenom II CPU optimizations I wanted to try out (yeah, I know it violates some of the strict standards compliance, and maybe is incompatible with the other options I see in 'about:buildconfig', but if possile, please give it a try)

Thanks for putting out this alt builds!!!

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2018, 05:06:43 pm »
The optimization I did is a bit more complex, with most of it being -Os and the JavaScript engine being -O3.
I can build with various options though I'm not sure if targeting a newer CPU then mine will work. The problem is where to upload them. I don't really like abusing my free account at bitbucket.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2018, 08:53:31 pm »
...The problem is where to upload them. I don't really like abusing my free account at bitbucket...

Oh noooo...not a problem at all...good sir, head on over to: darcio.no-ip.org, lot in as 'guest' your pass is 'guest4me'. Access to a  single ftp-inbound directroy...feel free to drop off as much as you need!!!

I will keep this open until you tell me you're done.

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2018, 08:55:46 pm »
Dave - wow.

Youtube plays, Vimeo plays. Works great. Thank you very much.

The only thing I notice is the sound is very soft - even when turned all the way up.  Is there some settings for adjusting the sound louder?

Again - thanks for the upload and your work.

Doug

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2018, 09:29:35 pm »
The BWW version and Dave's one work the same here. Both play youtube, both do not play videos on ad.nl. One thing I did notice is that Dave's compile sometimes 'hesitates' when scrolling, it scrolls slowly at first, then speeds up.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2018, 01:09:07 am »
Dave's build plays YouTube video here after I updated dependencies. It wouldn't run at all without "yum update all", and this is starting from all dependencies in place for bww latest Firefox.

bww Firefox never starts playing.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 02:02:46 am by Neil Waldhauer »
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2018, 01:58:43 am »
The only thing I notice is the sound is very soft - even when turned all the way up.  Is there some settings for adjusting the sound louder?

Go to Hobbes and search for PMUNIMIX. Once installed, play with all the volume controls. Here I needed to turn up the front speakers.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2018, 02:09:12 am »
The BWW version and Dave's one work the same here. Both play youtube, both do not play videos on ad.nl. One thing I did notice is that Dave's compile sometimes 'hesitates' when scrolling, it scrolls slowly at first, then speeds up.

Seems to play the videos on ad.nl fine here. Perhaps test with a new profile and make sure that everything is up to date.

Dmitriy Kuminov

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2018, 02:16:27 pm »
Guys, so far it looks like it's a network & timing issue. So depending on the combination of your hardware and used optimization options all builds (Dave's or mine) might or might not work. I've created a ticket for that https://github.com/bitwiseworks/mozilla-os2/issues/266. Feel free to share your experience there. By experience I mean technical facts — which hardware you have, which builds fail for you and which don't and what you do to make them work; abstract phrases like "doesn't work" are of no use so please don't spam with them there.
CPO of bww bitwise works GmbH

Alexander

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2018, 10:18:23 am »
Sorry, where the plugin-container.exe ? I cant see this in firefox-45.9.0-3.oc00.pentium4.7z nor in firefox-45.9.0-3.t1.i686.7z

Alexander

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2018, 10:26:36 am »
Tried with Dave build - flash plugin doesnt work , just black square

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2018, 06:43:31 pm »
Dave: thanks for the tip on PmUniMix.exe.  That fixed the low sound volume issue.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2018, 12:58:48 am »
Tried with Dave build - flash plugin doesnt work , just black square

I believe the Flash wrapper needs updating and it probably won't be happening.

Bogdan

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2018, 01:52:15 am »
Guys, so far it looks like it's a network & timing issue.
Almost, but not exactly. I was testing the latest builds with quite different hardware from low end Dothan op to 3.x GHz multiprocessor systems. The best work-around for video playback is to disable the pointing device completely. Movement of the pointer causes lost frames in all situations of video playback. It's not a big issue for moving pictures but more critical for audio quality. Newer Mozilla builds under Windows 32-bit have the opposite behaviour btw.

So depending on the combination of your hardware and used optimization options all builds (Dave's or mine) might or might not work. I've created a ticket for that https://github.com/bitwiseworks/mozilla-os2/issues/266. Feel free to share your experience there. By experience I mean technical facts — which hardware you have, which builds fail for you and which don't and what you do to make them work; abstract phrases like "doesn't work" are of no use so please don't spam with them there.
I checked the later builds against the latest Seamonkey 2.7.2 build from Dave which is the last one for OS/2 that provides listenable video and audio playback. The audio device driver doesn't matter, so I used Crystal, AD and Ensoniq - but never used this unisound-alsa.