Author Topic: Firefox - 45.9.0 for OS/2 GA1.1...anyone...anyone???  (Read 78260 times)

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
Re: Firefox - 45.9.0 for OS/2 GA1.1...anyone...anyone???
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2018, 06:19:17 pm »
Except it still will not play Youtube videos.

Some youtube videos will play, if you add the FFMPEG package, using ANPM (RPM/YUM). Just be sure that you have the SDL (upper case) package installed first. If the sdl (lower case) package is installed, it will block the install. Uninstall sdl (lower case), watch what it uninstalls with it, and install SDL (upper case) along with those packages, then install FFMPEG.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2018, 06:31:32 pm »
I have the FFmpeg libs installed and SeaMonkey plays youtube videos fine. Could be just a busy network, this LTE connection can get overloaded.
VP9 videos should play even without the FFmpeg libs and as mentioned a NFB video plays fine.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2018, 06:34:34 pm »
I think I'm running the -3 browser, but is there a way to show that this version is different than the previous version?

Help-About just says this is 45.9.0, just as the previous version did.

Go to about:support and look at the Build ID. Should be something like 20180418200317.

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • ComKal Networks Australia
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2018, 08:00:34 pm »
Firefox 45.9.0-3 works fine here, I downloaded the RPM file, unRPM'ed it, copied the @unixroot\usr\lib stuff to my d:\apps\firefox directory after renaming the old one to firefox_old, started fine. I haven't bothered to update anything per the required RPM list as I suspect I'm up to date anyway.

The previous version ran utube videos fine here. I haven't noticed any performance difference or any issues but then its only day 2.
I don't use yum/rpm stuff beyond unrpm'ing any rpm files required.

I have  checked a few youtube videos and every one I have looked at, University of Western Australia material, Hawkwind, Anatomy, etc, have all played well including audio. No stuttering.
FYI: I use an Intel Core2Duo 3GHz (CPU=1 in config.sys) with 4G Ram and a 500G Seagate SATA HD with 64M JFS cache. The only plugins I use are Download Helper and NoScript.

[Edited: grammar and youtube addition]
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 07:22:23 pm by Ian Manners »
Cheers
Ian B Manners

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2018, 08:39:41 pm »
I can confirm the new test reliease of Seamonky does indeed play the Youtube videos with out hassle. While the GA release of Firefox will not. I tried 3 different ones. And I also can confirm that the New relaese of Firefox does not want to shut down.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2018, 11:04:23 pm »
In my case this version of firefox 45-9-3, works the same as others, but youtube videos they are not visible. A wheel comes out spinning, and the video is never loaded. When closing it does not close either, I have to kill him.
The videos on YouTube, had two problems,
1 - sometimes stopped the video and to continue I had to press Wi-Fi on-off and I continued
2- The second problem was that the sound was repeated, and you had to close firefox, and tell cancel
so that it continues.

The first error was repaired recently but the second error was not.
The second error now, is very similar to the first, sometimes I have to press Wi-Fi on-off to continue.
 Sometimes when you stop by clicking with the mouse on the time bar projected, continues to be seen.

The versions that work best for me are the FF45.5, and almost all the seamonkey.

But I also have applications that need wifi on-off to continue, and that do not have nothing to do with the browser.
1- In a two-window session, if I execute qbasic, pulse esc, alt + f, and move through the menus
it locks, if I leave it the laptop heats up and goes out. If pulse wifi on-off continues without problems
until it locks up again, the application.
2- If I run find ... of the xcenter, looking for a file in a large unit, the same.
3- If I run find ... of the xcenter, and tell it to save the result in a folder, the blocking
it's the same but much worse, not just wifi on-off to continue, I have to remove and plug the mouse usb to continue and turn off the computer.

In a full-screen DOS session the qbasic does not give me that error.
saludos

OS4User

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2018, 11:55:46 pm »
Except it still will not play Youtube videos.

Some youtube videos will play, if you add the FFMPEG package, using ANPM (RPM/YUM). Just be sure that you have the SDL (upper case) package installed first. If the sdl (lower case) package is installed, it will block the install. Uninstall sdl (lower case), watch what it uninstalls with it, and install SDL (upper case) along with those packages, then install FFMPEG.

Doug,

Is SDL really necessary ?  I do not have it  and FF can play youtube  videos. (I have installed ffmpeg-libs)

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2018, 12:28:16 am »
When installing the RPM_REQUIREMENTS I encountered

No package libcx-0.6.2-1.oc00.pentium4 available.
No package libicu-56.1-2.oc00.pentium4 available.

and when trying to install os2-mpts-0.0.0-2.oc00.i386 I got the following strange message
-----------------------------------------------------

Transaction Summary
================================================================================
Install       1 Package

Total download size: 1.4 k
Installed size: 1.4 k
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:
os2-mpts-0.0.0-2.oc0 | 1.4 kB  00:00
Running Transaction Check
Running Transaction Test

Transaction Check Error:
  package os2-mpts-0.0.0-2.oc00.i386 is already installed

Error Summary
-------------

There was nothing listed after the "Error Summary"

Didn't look good but I tried running FireFox anyway.

Firefox starts and runs with the following issues.

1) Firefox will start but the window will not show unless I delete the existing "Mozilla" profile in the MOZILLA_HOME directory.  I noticed this issue with the previous verion also.

2) If FireFox crashes apparently something gets screwed up with the profile and again FireFox will start but its main window will never display. I have to kill  FireFox, delete the profile and restart. Then everything works ok.

3) There is a bug which still exists, and has existed in the last two versions I have run: when I right click on a link on a page, then select "Open Link in a New Tab", the a new tab opens with the contents of the link, but the link is also opened in the existing page. If I wait 5 seconds or so after right clicking on the link before clicking on "Open Link in a New Tab" in the popup menu, then the link just opens in the new tab.

4) After installing FFMPEG as suggested in the readme, I can view videos on Vimeo, but not on YouTube

My impression is  this version runs quicker and better (more stable, less bugs) than version 38.

The installation is actually pretty straight forward, all things considered. I wish the developers zipped the main package with regular zip (info-zip)  rather than 7z, just because regular zip seems more supported and better understood in OS2 than 7z. But ArcaOS does come with the Archive Tool (in the Utilities folder) which will unzip 7z archives. Putting the RPM requirements in the file RPM_REQUIREMENTS is nice - makes them easy to find and easy to cut/paste into a command prompt window when running YUM.

Conclusion: I am impressed. This version runs very well on my machine, with the exception of YouTube videos and some minor annoyances. Thank you to the developers - great job!

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2018, 01:30:22 am »
More data.

I have experienced the Firefox appearing to be closed but actually still running. it manifests as the FireFox icon being hatched while no window is visible.

In that situation Firefox appeared in WatchCat as running, with WatchCat indicating "Confirm Close".

I am guessing that 1) as it is closing Firefox is displaying the Confirm close dialog (multiple tabs are open - do you want to close?) but the dialog is not visible, or 2) the dialog is displayed, the user selects YES, which causes Firefox to close its main window but for some reason the dialog process is not terminated.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2018, 02:02:32 am »

Is SDL really necessary ?  I do not have it  and FF can play youtube  videos. (I have installed ffmpeg-libs)

SDL is only a requirement of FFplay, the libs, in this case avcodec, and even FFmpeg will run fine without SDL.
Currently FFplay requires SDL2

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2018, 02:12:05 am »
When installing the RPM_REQUIREMENTS I encountered

No package libcx-0.6.2-1.oc00.pentium4 available.
No package libicu-56.1-2.oc00.pentium4 available.

In theory, the i686 versions should work fine and should be the fallback, but with RPM, who knows.
and when trying to install os2-mpts-0.0.0-2.oc00.i386 I got the following strange message
-----------------------------------------------------

Transaction Summary
================================================================================
Install       1 Package

Total download size: 1.4 k
Installed size: 1.4 k
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:
os2-mpts-0.0.0-2.oc0 | 1.4 kB  00:00
Running Transaction Check
Running Transaction Test

Transaction Check Error:
  package os2-mpts-0.0.0-2.oc00.i386 is already installed

Error Summary
-------------

There was nothing listed after the "Error Summary"

I've seen many similar errors along with packages seeming to be installed twice.
The thing with RPM is that it is used by the big companies that make money on consulting, so it almost seems that it is broken by design to create more consulting work.

Didn't look good but I tried running FireFox anyway.

Firefox starts and runs with the following issues.

1) Firefox will start but the window will not show unless I delete the existing "Mozilla" profile in the MOZILLA_HOME directory.  I noticed this issue with the previous verion also.

2) If FireFox crashes apparently something gets screwed up with the profile and again FireFox will start but its main window will never display. I have to kill  FireFox, delete the profile and restart. Then everything works ok.

3) There is a bug which still exists, and has existed in the last two versions I have run: when I right click on a link on a page, then select "Open Link in a New Tab", the a new tab opens with the contents of the link, but the link is also opened in the existing page. If I wait 5 seconds or so after right clicking on the link before clicking on "Open Link in a New Tab" in the popup menu, then the link just opens in the new tab.

4) After installing FFMPEG as suggested in the readme, I can view videos on Vimeo, but not on YouTube

My impression is  this version runs quicker and better (more stable, less bugs) than version 38.

The installation is actually pretty straight forward, all things considered. I wish the developers zipped the main package with regular zip (info-zip)  rather than 7z, just because regular zip seems more supported and better understood in OS2 than 7z. But ArcaOS does come with the Archive Tool (in the Utilities folder) which will unzip 7z archives. Putting the RPM requirements in the file RPM_REQUIREMENTS is nice - makes them easy to find and easy to cut/paste into a command prompt window when running YUM.

Conclusion: I am impressed. This version runs very well on my machine, with the exception of YouTube videos and some minor annoyances. Thank you to the developers - great job!

You really need the updated libcx package and should open an issue at Netlabs or Github (the libcx repository is there) about the lack of a P4 package.
I'll attach the i686 version. Just unlock the one in @UNIXROOT\usr\lib by doing unlock libcx0.dll, replace with this one and reboot.

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2018, 04:02:45 am »
Thanks David for the DLL. I will do install as you recommend.

I should clarify my statement about the Mozilla profile.

The very first time I started Firefox it started but did not display the main window. After I deleted the profile (actually I set MOZILLA_HOME to a new directory unique to 45.9.0) Firefox started fine, and continues to start fine. Except for one time when it crashed and appeared to corrupt something in the profile, which was fixed by deleting the profile directory.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2018, 07:37:49 am »
Hmm, rare to srew up your profile enough to not be able to display the browser but it happens.
You can start Firefox etc with firefox.exe -profilemanager to bring up the profile manager and create, delete etc profiles. Run firefox.exe -help to see all the options.
I strongly recommend backing up your profiles regularly. even just to another location on your drive. Especially if using Thunderbird or SeaMonkey for mail. I backup a couple of times a day sometimes, partially a habit from dial up where it takes forever to repopulate all the tabs. And every day or two backup to flash drives. Sometimes it is easier to restore the profile.
My backup command (Profiles are stored on Z:, their own partition)
Code: [Select]
rsync -hia2X --itemize-changes --del Z:\Mozprofiles k:\Mozprofiles 2>&1 | tee backup.log
includes a log of the backup.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2018, 10:04:37 pm »
Here is what I shared on the FF testing email list regarding my experience with GA1.1, note that this was in the context of people reporting HIGH CPU cycles even when FF was being minimized:

...For what it's worth, this behaviour seems to have gotten worse with the  latest GA1.1 release.

Not sure if there is any co-relation between the two, but my overall CPU  usage is now noticably higher. Basically, on a 5 core machine I am seeing a  consistent 15-20% average (over the past 1 min - as reported by the 'CPU  Monitor' utility) usage. When I view this in the 'MPCPU Mon' OS/2 utility,  with the refresh of 150 ms I see an on-going CPU spike taking place across all cores.

Having said that, the GA1.1 drop overall, while feeling a tad slower, does  seem to be more stable. I noticed memory consumption seems to have slowed down, and while the overall steady CPU utilization is higher it no longer  seems to increase as total runtime of the process increases.

In the past the CPU utilization used to slowly climb over the hours FF was  up and running, until after about 10-15 hrs (depending of course on the  amount of usage) the CPU spikes became so consistently large that I needed  to kill the process and re-start. Now, as far as the past 3 days of usage  indicate, that is no longer so pronounced...

Besides this, what has definitely gotten WORSE here is the YouTube playback. Prior to this upgrade I was able to finally get a smooth video & sound playback. The sound issue (used to loop after some time of playback) was solved by an upgrade to the latest UniAudio drivers. The video is only playable when using the h264ify add-on, otherwise the VP9 video codec completely fails, the video playback window simply stops updating, no sound, no further video.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2018, 08:55:37 am »
Try this build, https://bitbucket.org/dryeo/dry-comm-esr31/downloads/firefox-45.9.0.en-US.os2.zip.
Still has the minimized cpu usage but does play youtube videos and closes on exit.
Same code excepting some optimizations and compiler.