OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Setup & Installation

Airboot and installing Windows 10 and ArcaOS

(1/2) > >>

Martin Vieregg:
I have managed to install both Windows and ArcaOS on a new computer. But now I have realized that, if you install ArcaOS before installing Windows, Windows changes the partition format of the ArcaOS partition from JFS to NTFS. You can see this in DFSEE. The data partitions are unchanged. Now I have got a JFS partition which is marked as NTFS. Does anyone know how to correct this?

Reinstalling ArcaOS will work, but I hope there is a more easier way. At the moment, I cannot start ArcaOS at all. When starting via ArcaOS USB stick, I see the C: partition, but I get an error message when accessing the data, because OS/2 cannot handle this file system. The Airboot menu OS entries are no more correctly assigned: When selecting ArcaOS, the second Windows installation runs, the first Windows installation is OK and the second Windows entry ends in an error message "no OS found". I know that when reinstalling ArcaOS, the oder problem disappears, too. I made no partition entry backup with DFSEE.

ivan:
Hi Martin,

I just went through that exercise and found the same as you (win 7).

I ended up using DFSee to make the partitions with the first one on the disk for win 7, then my usual utilities, programs, work and home partitions with ArcaOS boot partition at the end. I also include a win32 partition for transfers between OSs.

Installed win 7 then installed ArcaOS and finally AirBoot.  The fact that ArcaOS boots from H:\ is no problem, just have to remember that, and C:\ is blank, must work out how to hide it.

This is on an ASRock AM1H-ITX board with an AMD 3850 quad core APU.

Martin Vieregg:
The order of the partitions is Windows first, too. And anway, I got the problem.

ivan:
I think the only way to get the two to coexist is to make the partitions with DFSee first with the correct partition types.  This does two things, a) it stops windows messing about with the partitions because it does not 'see' the JFS or HPFS partitions and is therefore restricted to the NTFS partition.  The only drawback is the windows takes the C: partition - I think there is a way of hiding that but can't be bothered finding it. b) it gives you control of your hard disk otherwise windows installer will take over everything.

I don't know about win 10 but with win 7 you need to use the advanced install just to confirm that it is using the correct partition.

Martin Vieregg:
I have realized now that my partition order is:
- Windows 10 32 bit
- ArcaOS
- Windows 10 64 bit

The correct order would be to install both Windows at the beginning, and to place the ArcaOS partiton after all Windows boot partitions.

I made my partions with minilvm, and of course choose a specific partion in the Windows install program.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version